Interview questions you’d ask for no reason

amadeus

Serenity now
Why are manhole covers round?

Apparently this question has been asked at interviews, and the purpose of it itself has not been immediately obvious to me.

In keeping with that theme, what questions would you ask just to throw someone off balance?

Here’s my first one: Mike, William, or George, who’s your favorite Wallace?

Why is a manhole cover named that? A manhole cover should be covering a manhole. What is a manhole? A manhole sounds like a hole in a man. Therefore a manhole cover should be something you stick in your ear or up your arse.

As for questions I'd ask at an interview.... I'd just stick to asking questions about programming fundamentals really. I sat in on some interviews before and was asked to analyze the candidate's technical prowess.. I'd start off asking them if they can explain the difference between server-side code and client-side code.. If they don't know that then none of the other questions matter. This was a position that required you to work on both server and client side code.. so if you didn't know that, you don't belong there. If they have a good answer, then that's a good sign and I move on to my next question (although I can't remember what that was)

I don't understand the use of the 'curveball' questions, either, unless being able to think on your feet is a key quality I'm looking for. I'm not great at that myself, I'm much better at taking a moment to think about something. When I make an error, it's frequently because I'm rushing or being rushed. So if I was looking for a partner, colleague or assistant - for something where quick reactions might be tested - then I suppose I might throw a curveball question at someone, precisely because that's a weakness of mine. As for what the question might actually be..?

Do you prefer Alien or Aliens, and why?

HR morons ask these oddball questions because they usually don't even understand the technical requirements of the position. They tend to be there to make sure that the person is a good fit with the "culture" of the company. Or whatever. I hate those questions too.

IF YOU WERE A CAT WHAT SPECIES OF CAT WOULD YOU BE AND WOULD YOU EVEN DRINK MILK

I don't understand the use of the 'curveball' questions, either, unless being able to think on your feet is a key quality I'm looking for.
I'm not a personnel expert, so I can't say this with any authority but shouldn't an interviewer be able to make some sort of judgment on their own without the aid of some riddle? Or if it's going to be a riddle, preface it and say it is.

Do you prefer Alien or Aliens, and why?
Have not seen either one. I suppose I would prefer Alien because prima facie evidence suggests there would be only one, as opposed to many.

HR morons ask these oddball questions because they usually don't even understand the technical requirements of the position.
Now is your chance to be a malicious HR moron!

IF YOU WERE A CAT WHAT SPECIES OF CAT WOULD YOU BE AND WOULD YOU EVEN DRINK MILK
Persian! It was the first one I thought of because Persians are cute. Also, I would drink milk.

I also appreciate that you shouted the question. That makes it extra uncomfortable!

Have not seen either one. I suppose I would prefer Alien because prima facie evidence suggests there would be only one, as opposed to many.
They're very friendly, and wish to bestow great wealth and advanced technology upon you, which they deliver in a large egg-shaped package.

They're very friendly, and wish to bestow great wealth and advanced technology upon you, which they deliver in a large egg-shaped package.
Never mind, I have seen it then.

mork_egg.jpg

Why would I want to throw someone off balance?

To get a more accurate read on a person. We all know people rehearse their interviews before coming in so they can look as good as possible. The problem with that is the hiring manager is then not seeing the "real" candidate, but rather an idealized version of the candidate. I mean, anyone can make themselves look sharp, bright and professional when they generally know what is going to be asked ahead of time.

Another purpose it serves is to see how they think and act when put under stress. This is important for jobs that will put the candidate under stress. When I'm interviewing a new security guard I try to make the interview as stressful as possible because being guard for the city is stressful. Our guards have to frequently deal with angry citizens who are going scream, yell and get belligerent with them, so I need people that can handle that with out snapping back or freaking out.

To get a more accurate read on a person. We all know people rehearse their interviews before coming in so they can look as good as possible. The problem with that is the hiring manager is then not seeing the "real" candidate, but rather an idealized version of the candidate. I mean, anyone can make themselves look sharp, bright and professional when they generally know what is going to be asked ahead of time.

Another purpose it serves is to see how they think and act when put under stress. This is important for jobs that will put the candidate under stress. When I'm interviewing a new security guard I try to make the interview as stressful as possible because being guard for the city is stressful. Our guards have to frequently deal with angry citizens who are going scream, yell and get belligerent with them, so I need people that can handle that with out snapping back or freaking out.

The interview process is a show for both sides. I suspect if your candidates screwed with you, you'd see it as some intense display of disrespect.

The interview process is a show for both sides. I suspect if your candidates screwed with you, you'd see it as some intense display of disrespect.

Not necessarily disrespect, but I certainly wouldn't hire them.

There's also a big difference between an interviewer "screwing with" a candidate and a candidate doing the same to the interviewer. The interviewer is justified because they are trying to determine if the candidate is the right type of person for the job beyond just their technical skills. What a lot of jobseekers forget is that being qualified for a job means more than just having the right skillset. If it were only about that, then we wouldn't do interviews, we'd just read resumes. The interview is to make sure the candidate has the right temperament and will fit in with the company culture.

I've also found that the only people who have a problem with being thrown off balance in an interview are the people that don't do well in such situations. And if someone doesn't do well in those situations, then there isn't any point in continuing with them as a candidate because they aren't going to meet my expectations and the candidate would likely end up hating the job and quitting, forcing me to start the hiring process all over again.

Even among neurotypicals there is a huge contextual difference between a job interview and being "on the job." People will perform differently while on the clock even if you try to stress them out during the interview. Otherwise they wouldn't need training.

The only thing learned during an interview where the interviewer screws with the candidate is that they can expect to be manipulated by their boss if they are hired. Since you are publicly on record as manipulating or falsifying things in order to get your way, this seems to parse.

Even among neurotypicals there is a huge contextual difference between a job interview and being "on the job." People will perform differently while on the clock even if you try to stress them out during the interview. Otherwise they wouldn't need training.

Of course. But short of coming up with some type of VR simulation to test how they are on the job, there has to be a way to assess how someone reacts to stress before you hire them and throw them out there. The interview provides that opportunity to assess them.

Why are manhole covers round?

Apparently this question has been asked at interviews, and the purpose of it itself has not been immediately obvious to me.

Isn't it so that when cars run over them, the corners don't get knocked out of place?

Top Bottom