[LP] Interview with Ed Beach on the Leader Pass

Kind of surprised that GS was supposed to be the end considering there were still major missing civs back then, in my opinion.

When I meant a unique looking palace, I just meant graphically look different from the current one that Frederick has, considering we have unique looking palaces for a lot of civs. I didn't consider a new looking palace a brand-new building.

But more than likely Ludwig will use the same German palace already in game.
It would've been the same general gameplan as they did for Civ 5 - A DLC wave with 1-2 civs per DLC, two major expansions, then that's it.

I for one am glad that they decided to do things differently, and twice now at that

When he says "no Wonders or anything like that", the second part of that sentence is as important as the first :p.

Since the question was regarding Wonders, buildings and improvements, we can probably assume there won't be any of those. (I assume that would include a unique palace).

I would assume the "Wonders or anything like that" line probably means we won't get any leader unique units or leader unique improvements. They'll basically stick to stuff that they can do XML, give or take.

Yeah. Unequivocal - we’re not getting anything but leaders in the leader pack.

The way he said “or anything like that” made me chuckle. Just sounded very offhand, like haha no we’re totally not doing more content lol. I don’t think it was rude or anything, but as someone that still thinks more content would be good, yeah clearly not going to happen!

Civ6 doesn't need more mechanics. An overhaul to make the mechanics play together would be nice. A little late in the day for that, though. That's reason No. 1 I want Civ7: the slim hope of a more coherent game.

Yeah, I really disagree. I just think the early and mid game are incredibly exciting, but then you get to the end game and there’s not really a lot to look forward to. The stuff in the end game is very sparse, and what is there is either focused on rushing through the end game or just a bit underdeveloped.

I also think some mechanics just lack a bit of “play”. Spies are a good example - Spies are good but there’s just not a lot to do with them (or there is but it’s basically one defensive move (counterspy) and a bunch of somewhat similar offensive moves). I think Spies would be much better if you had the option to instead send them out as ambassadors. Then you’d have a bit more depth of choices - defend (counterspy), attack (basically every other move) or diplomacy.

That said. I haven’t exactly done a poll or commissioned surveys, but my sense is the majority of people don’t feel the same way and don’t feel there’s room or a need for anything more. I get that. And it certainly looks like Firaxis think the same thing.

So, boo-hoo me I guess.

It would've been the same general gameplan as they did for Civ 5 - A DLC wave with 1-2 civs per DLC, two major expansions, then that's it.
If they had released 10 civs in an expansion like they originally were going to do for R&F I could see that happening. But we would have had one less civ than Civ 5 had they stopped.

Reactions: j51
I can't see that happening for Gran Colombia or Macedon. Anyways bring on a diplomatic Cethswayo for the Zulu.

Maybe he could get a unique looking palace that looks like Neuschwanstein?
As iconic as it is, Neuschwanstein was never finished, and Ludwig never actually lived there. Next door to it (well, technically Below it at the bottom of its hill), though, is the Hohenschwangau castle/palace, where he lived as a boy, and down the road is the Linderhof, which he used as a 'country retreat'. All three of them are usually referred to as "Mad Ludwig's Castles".

Multiple Leaders for Macedon is easy. Aside from Phillip, who arguably had as many military and more diplomatic chops then his son, there's always the first Alexander of Macedon, "Greeker than the Greeks" who petitioned and got admittance to compete in the Olympics - that would make a basis for an interesting UA, I would think.
After Alexander there's his mother Olympias who interfered repeatedly in the Macedonian government until they gave her to the families of all the people she had had executed, and they stoned her to death, and either Cassander or Lysimachus. As Successors (Diadochii), both of them ruled all or part of Macedon, and while Cassander has some serious Diplomatic as well as Military and Naval potential, Lysimachus was primarily known for killing a lion with his bare hands (there are several different versions of the story, but that is the part that is common to all of them) and using the lion as his symbol on his coins and emblems.

As iconic as it is, Neuschwanstein was never finished, and Ludwig never actually lived there. Next door to it (well, technically Below it at the bottom of its hill), though, is the Hohenschwangau castle/palace, where he lived as a boy, and down the road is the Linderhof, which he used as a 'country retreat'. All three of them are usually referred to as "Mad Ludwig's Castles".
Well Laurier also never lived in the Chateau Frontenac, but that was the inspiration for the Canadian Palace.

Multiple Leaders for Macedon is easy. Aside from Phillip, who arguably had as many military and more diplomatic chops then his son, there's always the first Alexander of Macedon, "Greeker than the Greeks" who petitioned and got admittance to compete in the Olympics - that would make a basis for an interesting UA, I would think.
After Alexander there's his mother Olympias who interfered repeatedly in the Macedonian government until they gave her to the families of all the people she had had executed, and they stoned her to death, and either Cassander or Lysimachus. As Successors (Diadochii), both of them ruled all or part of Macedon, and while Cassander has some serious Diplomatic as well as Military and Naval potential, Lysimachus was primarily known for killing a lion with his bare hands (there are several different versions of the story, but that is the part that is common to all of them) and using the lion as his symbol on his coins and emblems.
Sure, there could be other leaders, but realistically Macedon was designed for Alexander the Great to lead in the game. Phillip II seems the most realistic out of all the choices, but would they really give us two of them in the same game?

"Originally, Gathering Storm was supposed to be the end of our content..."

How absurd that they thought for a moment to finish the game without Maya, Portugal and Ethiopia. :p
That kinda is absurd. I expect some civs to be expansion rather than vanilla. Some of them seem so vanilla now. :)

Like, all of the unique GG could be their own leaders. My personal vote would be for Jose Antonio Paez, the Centaur of the Plains.
I would rather have a more diplomatic or culture centred leader for Gran Colombia than another military one such as José Antonio Páez. He also actively worked against Gran Colombia, plotting its separation, so I guess it would be odd to have a leader that wanted to separate the country it will be leading in-game.

I would go for Antonio Nariño (currently a Comandante General in-game), Francisco de Miranda or even Francisco de Paula Santander (also a Comandante General). This could be the abilites for these leader options for Gran Colombia.

Antonio Nariño (vice-president of Gran Colombia and president of Cundinamarca) could be a more cultured centred leader, as he brought many ideas from the Enlightenment to the colonies, such as translating the Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen to Spanish (he was sent to jail by the Spanish for doing this). He also became rich from importing products from the Old World.
Leader ability name: "Patria Boba or United Provinces of New Granada": receives a culture points bonus towards civics that have already been discovered by other civilizations, you get some gold yields from cultural buildings. (during his political career some defended a Federal system, such as the one in the US and others a centralist system, such as the one in France, both were tested during the independence movement)
Leader agenda name: "The Precursor of Liberty": dislikes civilizations with fewer civics as himself, likes civilizations with more civics as himself (He was inspired by the heroes of the American Revolution, such as Benjamin Franklin)
Capital city: Bogotá or Villa de Leyva

Francisco de Miranda (briefly dictator of Venezuela) could be a more diplomatic centred leader, as he established contact with countries such as the UK, France and Russia to seek support for independence. He also fought in the American Revolution and in the French Revolution.
Leader ability name: "First Republic of Venezuela": receives more diplomatic favour points from each alliance he has with other civilizations and/or when fighting a war together with other civilizations
Leader agenda name: "The Precursor of Independence": dislikes civilizations who have conquered other nations capitals, likes civilizations which have conquered none or less capitals from other civilizations.
Capital city: Caracas

Francisco de Paula Santander (vice-president and acting-president of Gran Colombia when Bolívar was off fighting elsewhere) could be more centred on culture, as he favoured the rule of law and constitutional rule of the country, as opposed to Bolívar's almost dictatorial rule. He drafted much of the early laws and constitutions of Colombia and founded various cultural institutions, such as public schools, the National University of Colombia, the National Museum of Colombia (the first national museum in both North and South America) and much more.
Leader ability name: "Constitution of 1821": cultural buildings from conquered and/or recaptured ("liberated") cities receive no damage. Military buildings produce some culture and/or can produce cultural buildings faster. (Considered the first constitution of Colombia/Gran Colombia, laid the legal framework for future constitutions and for the rebuilding of the country after the war of independence)
Leader agenda name: "El Hombre de las Leyes or The Man of the Law": dislikes civilizations with low diplomatic favour points production, likes civilizations that produce a lot of diplomatic favour points
Capital city: Bogotá or Cúcuta

Sure, there could be other leaders, but realistically Macedon was designed for Alexander the Great to lead in the game. Phillip II seems the most realistic out of all the choices, but would they really give us two of them in the same game?

Well of course it was, and desgned for a one-dimensional Alexander at that. But, the UU Hypaspists were the later mercenary Argraspides (Silver Shields), so would fit Phillip or any of Alexander's Successors, and all of the potential Macedonian leaders with the possible exception of Olympias were war/combat leaders (and she was as murderous as any of them, but committed the murders by the dozen at a time instead of by the hundreds and thousands), so would fit the one-dimensional militant Macedonian Civ just about as well as Alexander.

Honestly, I’m surprised that we never got an Alexander variant for Greece. Technically, nothing about his LUA has to change (regardless of whether it meshes well with Greece’s civ bonuses), just some minor visual differences in his clothing and whatnot, same with Eleanor and Kublai

Honestly, I’m surprised that we never got an Alexander variant for Greece. Technically, nothing about his LUA has to change (regardless of whether it meshes well with Greece’s civ bonuses), just some minor visual differences in his clothing and whatnot, same with Eleanor and Kublai
Because I believe back then there was a bit of biff between Greece and Northern Macedon about which nation Alexander belonged to.

Call me a crazy, but I actually would love more official content. Y'know, as long as we actually get it when it releases. (Now that it works, I'm moved from frustration to finding it funny)
Well, I had another download today. Still no leader pass.
Kind of surprised that GS was supposed to be the end considering there were still major missing civs back then, in my opinion.

When I meant a unique looking palace, I just meant graphically look different from the current one that Frederick has, considering we have unique looking palaces for a lot of civs. I didn't consider a new looking palace a brand-new building.

But more than likely Ludwig will use the same German palace already in game.
I'm not surprised at all. The NFP's creation was largely driven by the response to coronavirus.
"Originally, Gathering Storm was supposed to be the end of our content..."

How absurd that they thought for a moment to finish the game without Maya, Portugal and Ethiopia. :p
Yep!! Agreed.

I would LOVE another expansion but rather than introduce anything new, just add more depth to all the existing systems.

More sophisticated loyalty and more golden age/dark age choice, new disasters and a rework of the world congress, more depth to religion and spies etc etc

All that, 5-8 new Civs, balancing and bug fixes would more than earn my £££

Because I believe back then there was a bit of biff between Greece and Northern Macedon about which nation Alexander belonged to.
I don't think anyone has ever given any serious consideration to FYROM's nationalist alternate history.

Top Bottom