[LP] Interview with Ed Beach on the Leader Pass

Eagle Pursuit

Per Scribendum, Volo

One thing right off the bat, he says that they always intended to have multiple leaders for every civ. That is counter to what had been said when Gorgo was announced, which was that alt leaders were intended to be a tool for modders.

O? I cannot wait for the alt leaders for Georgia and Mapuche then :mischief:. Alt leaders, not persona's btw.

O? I cannot wait for the alt leaders for Georgia and Mapuche then :mischief:. Alt leaders, not persona's btw.
I can't see that happening for Gran Colombia or Macedon. Anyways bring on a diplomatic Cethswayo for the Zulu.
Oof, RIP to that one german castle people were wanting
Maybe he could get a unique looking palace that looks like Neuschwanstein?

Man, y'all are uninspired for new leaders for Maori and Georgia. David the Great, Rewi Maniapoto, Te Arikinui Te Atairangikaahu...

Mapuche and Colombia are a bit harder, though. Philip could be an alternate leader for Macedon.

tl;dr

Is 'this it' for Civ6 then?

"So… I thought we were at the end of Civ 6 content several times. Originally, Gathering Storm was supposed to be the end of our content and now we’ve had the New Frontier Pass and the Leader Pass added to it. There are no plans we can announce for anything coming up, I can tell you that, but I’ve been wrong about that before, so I don’t want to make a statement that’s going to look silly down the road."

Even Ed isn't certain.

"So… I thought we were at the end of Civ 6 content several times. Originally, Gathering Storm was supposed to be the end of our content and now we’ve had the New Frontier Pass and the Leader Pass added to it. There are no plans we can announce for anything coming up, I can tell you that, but I’ve been wrong about that before, so I don’t want to make a statement that’s going to look silly down the road."

Even Ed isn't certain.
Ed says elsewhere that he / Firaxis think the game is “complicated enough” or something similar.

But come on Ed. Just one more little expansion or game pass? There’s still a bit of room left to add to the game. Aren’t there still some things from Civ 5 you could bring over…?

If we all promise to buy Midnight Sons and, I don’t know, Beyond Earth, and downloaded the Scout Cat Mod, would you guys at least think about it…?

Even Ed isn't certain.
I posted recently about how there are two ways to see this pack and how it bides for the future regarding Civ VII:

"Ummm...the game is in a bad state and that's going to hurt Civ VII when it launches, so let's fix it, butter people up with freebies and at the end of it when everyone's happy, announce Civ VII".

Or:

"Ummm...the fan base is starting to flag because it's been 18 months since we said goodbye, and Civ VII is a way off yet, let's release stuff to keep them somewhat engaged and hopefully buy time until Civ VII comes out".

That interview seems to indicate the latter possibility.

I posted recently about how there are two ways to see this pack and how it bides for the future regarding Civ VII:

"Ummm...the game is in a bad state and that's going to hurt Civ VII when it launches, so let's fix it, butter people up with freebies and at the end of it when everyone's happy, announce Civ VII".

Or:

"Ummm...the fan base is starting to flag because it's been 18 months since we said goodbye, and Civ VII is a way off yet, let's release stuff to keep them somewhat engaged and hopefully buy time until Civ VII comes out".

That interview seems to indicate the latter possibility.
That has been my suspicion since the DLC were discovered.

When he says "no Wonders or anything like that", the second part of that sentence is as important as the first :p.

Since the question was regarding Wonders, buildings and improvements, we can probably assume there won't be any of those. (I assume that would include a unique palace).

Perhaps a special improvement, ala Ski Resort. Just like Pachacuti has his Qapac Ñan that replaces the Tunnels (exactly the same ability but unlocked way sonner), Ludwig II might have the Schloss unique improvement replacing the Ski Resort (same abilities as in tourism with perhaps more yields, but unlocked sooner?). Like instead of unlocking Ski Resort at the atomic Professional Sports, you could unlock the Schloss at the industrial Opera and Ballet (which would even tie with his admiration for Wagner) ?

Since the question was regarding Wonders, buildings and improvements, we can probably assume there won't be any of those. (I assume that would include a unique palace).
Well, damn, the unique Schloss improvement idea falls flat then...

I would be unironically excited for David the Builder, even if we all know that Georgia is here as the "Have you considered Tamar of Georgia?" civ.
Ed says elsewhere that he / Firaxis think the game is “complicated enough” or something similar.
Civ6 doesn't need more mechanics. An overhaul to make the mechanics play together would be nice. A little late in the day for that, though. That's reason No. 1 I want Civ7: the slim hope of a more coherent game.

Perhaps a special improvement, ala Ski Resort. Just like Pachacuti has his Qapac Ñan that replaces the Tunnels (exactly the same ability but unlocked way sonner), Ludwig II might have the Schloss unique improvement replacing the Ski Resort (same abilities as in tourism with perhaps more yields, but unlocked sooner?). Like instead of unlocking Ski Resort at the atomic Professional Sports, you could unlock the Schloss at the industrial Opera and Ballet (which would even tie with his admiration for Wagner) ?

Well, damn, the unique Schloss improvement idea falls flat then...

I would assume the "Wonders or anything like that" line probably means we won't get any leader unique units or leader unique improvements. They'll basically stick to stuff that they can do XML, give or take.

Just patch up Civ VI, please. Leave the game in great shape before you move on to Civ VII.

Oh...you could add the Lake Baikal Natural Wonder, though. 🙃

Even Ed isn't certain.
Kind of surprised that GS was supposed to be the end considering there were still major missing civs back then, in my opinion.
When he says "no Wonders or anything like that", the second part of that sentence is as important as the first :p.

When I meant a unique looking palace, I just meant graphically look different from the current one that Frederick has, considering we have unique looking palaces for a lot of civs. I didn't consider a new looking palace a brand-new building.

But more than likely Ludwig will use the same German palace already in game.

Top Bottom