1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Into the Renaissance

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Kaia, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Hinterlander

Hinterlander Chieftain

I really enjoy this scenario but have to agree with the complaints about the last 50 turns. It takes way too long. I really wish this map was smaller and maybe limit the turn count to 150-175.

2. plast

plast Chieftain

Getting into this now. Not been interested by the thought of scenarios before, but this has got it's hook in me!

Playing as the Turks on Emperor. Went Liberty->Honor.

Imminently settled two cites next to capital and built catapults. Took over Jerusalem and Mecca just in time to get back to defend against Saldin who didn't like my warmongering. Approaching turn 100 now, in 2nd place behind Theodora. Have 7 cities and just want to build them up a bit before I attack Constantinople. I have no friends but managing happiness fine, with Notre Dame built and plenty of luxes. Producing a ton of faith but don't really know what to do with it. The Founder belief for Islam is making me quite wealthy and the added culture from the holy city and all the Mosque's are making the Policies fly by. I have no idea what's coming though. I've built a bunch of forts around Jerusalem and have a defensive army there, as Saladin is really keen on my land. The other civs have huge armies though and I might be risking the victory. I am about to get Janissaries just in time for my attack. I built NC pretty quickly and bought Universities in most cities asap.

Turn times are approaching a minute, so I might have to finish this on a new computer in the distant future :)

3. Maxym

Maxym King

Don't limit yourself Mesix, do it on deity. If you do go for it post the initial save (celts) as I have that one to do as well but below deity it's not a challenge. I think I need to post my Domination Deity win strat here as it is not appreciated in that forum ;) I know ItR is not everyones cup of tea.

Into the Renaissance Domination Strategy http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=487712

4. Heretiv

Heretiv Warlord

Just to ressurect this one -
    Am trying the scenario as England.
    Kept to 1 city to get national college... however Boudiccia very keen to spam cities.
    Almost turn 100 yet and still no ships past triremes -
    I got education, bout the university for speed and build Oxford -
    Is the main way to speed tech to have multiple large cities?

Hopefully after uniting the british isles my navy can then do a lot more of the legwork.
    Still finding it hard to field an army larger than ~11th in size

5. truenarnian

truenarnian Emperor

Not that Madjinn needs vouching but - dang! is he right about Sweden. I played a delicious game as the Almohads, got a victory, loved it. Played Sweden, and got routed by Netherlands. Played new games, got routed by Russia. Played again, got routed by Russia. The Swedish early game seems very difficult - if you don't expand early, you'll have nowhere to expand to. If you do expand, you'll face a lot of war. Either way, it's hard to get access to anything meaningful that gives points.

Like an idiot, I'll try again with them. Too much fun not to try.

6. Maximo the Xth

Maximo the Xth Warlord

Can you all play this scenario "normally"?
    I have this pop-up-bug in it, which was in the basic game but patched out later. (But apparently not out of this scenario - and out of the Korean one btw neither) And so all the cities I conquer are annexed automatically, what makes the scenario unplayable.

7. bixbeiderbaby

bixbeiderbaby Chieftain

I am working to get the achievement for conquering Constantinople (Istanbul?) as the Ottomans. Only 3 more achievements (including beat the Mongol scenario on deity, and defend the Roman Empire on deity) and I've got them all. I'm trying to do this before BNW comes out.

I'm not much of a diety player, and I feel my initial strategy is a bit weak. So I started a deity game on the historical map, went the liberty route, and settled my second city on the Mediterranean coast to snag a few strategic resources. Then that dickhead Saladin promptly invaded. Now I am spending my time warding him off instead of trying to expand into Anatolia. I've paused this game and will get back to it later.

I've gotten the emperor achievements within the past few months. The Almohad one was fun although it required some grinding. I remember settling first in Spain, immediately DOWing Isabella, and capturing her final city that was in the French Riviera area. Napoleon (or Francis, whatever his name is) DOWs me with his wall of longswordmen. I used 3 GG to build a citadel chain into his territory as I eventually routed him. At this point I get a little lazy since I'm in the points lead, but I think I conquered a few English cities as well.

The Celt achievement was done next. This one kinda sucks since I had to fight some of my Catholic brethen before I could get to the infidels in Iberia and Africa. I settle in Wales to get a position on England, which wasn't too hard to conquer. Next I captured a French settler that was about to settle in Brittany as my DOW on France. As in my Almohad game, France was a pain, but I eventually route them as well and take all his cities. Isabella helped me in the end. Since Isabella and I became best buds I went thru her territory to conquer the Almohads. I eventually took their capital. I also managed to build all the caravels and get the exploration points in this part.

The Russian scenario was perhaps the craziest and most violent game I've ever played. It was pure war. I think I had 5 people at war with me at one point (Swedes, Mongols, Turks, Byzantines and Ayubbids). I did a random map for this one, and I was lucky to have Jerusalem in between me and the Turks on the first roll (the powerhouse of this game). The Mongols didn't make a dent until the 100th turn, but eventually they were DOWing me once every 30-40 turns (I kept a small army to fight them off, then made peace with them, after which they became friendly until they declared war again). I spent most of my time attacking the Turks. Their Janissaries were formidable, but by the time they got them I had a extra sight double shot crossbow army that picked them off. I eventually took Aleppo, but it was tough to take other cities. Since I conquered Jerusalem early on, and given that I quickly conquered some cities that the Turks settled on MY side of the "Black Sea" (this wasn't a historical map, but it had similarities to it), I was able to win comfortably.

The Lionheart achievement was acquired on a random map as well. For some reason Jerusalem is close by to where you start. I think I conquered the Celts before I took that army and sailed to where Jerusalem was, quickly conquered them, then never finished the game.

8. ggmoyang

ggmoyang King

Tip: DoW Jerusalem(and Mecca if you want) at turn 0 and conquer it/them, you'll get founder belief for Islam.
    DoW should be done in turn 0 or Saladin will meet them and pledge protection, which will lead to diplomatic trouble.

And you can be friends with Saladin.

9. scheva007

scheva007 Prince

Anyone playing this with an ssd? are the load times notably better?

10. Mesix

Mesix The Allfather

I have returned to this scenario to get one of the last achievements.

I have been playing the Celts on Emperor. This is one of the toughest achievement so far (including all the Deity level ones). My strategy is to take the Liberty tree to get the free settler on turn 0 and send both settlers, worker, and swordsman south towards Gibralter to get the drop on the Almohads. Elizabeth will always DOW, but a defensive war isn't a problem and taking her cities doesn't net any victory points since we are the same religion so I am in no hurry to take her out. My initial build is the National College to get it up while the settlers are sailing and I have only 1 city. Before too long I get a free GS from liberty to settle outside my capital which nets some good science with the NC. After that I crank out units for defense against England.

Even with an early foot hold, it is difficult to take out North Africa. Sometimes, I run into the problem of Isabella DOW the same time as me and taking the key cities away from the Almohads. Other times I grind out a very slow war effort while other AI players get a good lead on victory points from elections and wars. The AI seems to expand much faster than I remember from playing this scenario some months back. One time Elizabeth had 6 cities by about turn 25 or so!

11. vra379971

vra379971 Deity

Can someone kindly give me the base policy cost for this scenario?

So, if you have x cities, how can I know how much the next ten polices cost? What about if I add another city? What will my costs be then?

12. bixbeiderbaby

bixbeiderbaby Chieftain

When I played as the Celts I focused first on eliminating England. I had a feeling that England would incessantly DOW me, so I wanted to get rid of England ASAP. I don't recall how long it took me to eliminate them, but I do know that I destroyed them just when France was about to settle in Brittany. Since I was planning on settling there myself, I decided to wage war against Francis and conquer as much as I could, at least until I could get to the Mediterranean. From my experience playing against France I knew they would pretend to be my friend and later backstab me.

I had three strategic goals: Ally with the Vatican (later placing my spy there to rig elections, and stage coups) and sailing to the New World. My third goal was to conquer some cities of the Almohads. Eventually I knew I would have to secure my homefront before sending an army to Africa.

The war with France was tough, especially since Francis had already researched (!?!?!) musketeers by the time I was taking Paris. I made a sweep thru Brittany eastward, later sailing a separate army to take his city by the Dutch.

Eventually Spain DOWed France, which allowed me to take the remaining cities and eliminate the French. Spain took France's city on the Mediterranean, but it wasn't a big deal since I had become friends with Isabella by this time. I traded with the Dutch and kept my army away from their borders.

I took my army south thru the Mediterranean to take on a coastal city of the Almohads. By this time I totally outclassed them in tech and in numbers, and they were a piece of cake. I took their capital with little resistance.

In the end I sailed 5 ships to the New World, kept the Vatican as an ally, and conquered most of Morocco. The first couple of cities I took from the Almohads put me in the lead to win.

13. bixbeiderbaby

bixbeiderbaby Chieftain

This was good advice. I started over and immediately moved my swordsman to Jerusalem. By the time I got there Saladin DOWed Jerusalem and weakened the city enough for me to take it. I took the city, but Saladin DOWed me soon after. I had been fighting him for over 100 turns, with him eventually taking Jerusalem. I took it back and made peace with him, but he DOWed me again with an overwhelming army around turn 137, give or take a turn. I think I could manage to lose Jerusalem since all my other cities are producing plenty of gold. But early on the extra gold you get from the founder beliefs is extremely helpful.

Policy-wise, I took the liberty path and filled it all the way. I built a National college early on and use the great person from the liberty closer to get a GS and build an academy. I expand to the northeast of Aleppo with my first settler to get 3 luxuries that were there, and I later expanded along the southern coast of Anatolia as I prepared to invade Byzantium. I took Theodora's city in the middle of Anatolia with no problem, but the second city that I took on the Black sea coast was more time consuming. I built a few citadels to facilitate the invasion, placing one right next to the city to kill the catapult and galleass that would easily kill my crossbowman in one blow.

At this point I am at the doors of Constantinople. It is turn 140 and I am close to researching cannons. I am also close to getting another GG that I plan to plant right next to Constantinople to kill all those freaking galleasses that are around the city (and eliminate the trebuchet within it). I'm waiting for all this to happen before I make a push to take the city.

My main problems now are the fact that Saladin and Catherine simultaneously DOWed me (Catherine isn't a worry, since Genghis is at war with her). I of course worry about Genghis since his Keshiks are in around my territory now. I've pulled back my troops around Jerusalem to protect Aleppo from the Ayubbids (this shouldnt be a problem). My sea-game isn't going well... I can only produce triremes, and these are easily taken by Frigates, Privateers, and Caravels that everyone else has.

I just need to make my final push on Constantinople. I could potentially win the game still....

14. bixbeiderbaby

bixbeiderbaby Chieftain

So I finally managed to take Constantinople at turn 161 to get the achievement. I parked three cannons outside the city and took out the city in about 4 turns. Luckily all the galleasses and xbows focused on the xbows I placed in and around the city.

I had to fight off a push from Theodora before this though.

I'm not going to bother trying to finish this game. Not sure if it is winnable.

15. Mesix

Mesix The Allfather

I'm still struggling to win as the Celts for the achievement. I have only two achievements left, the one and the achievement to sink ships as the English. I wanted to knock them all out before BNW came out...but it doesn't look like I'll make it.

My latest attempt was going pretty well. I sent my two early settlers toward Russia and waged war there. I was able to get all 5 Caravels to the new world for 1500 points. I made peace with Elizabeth after taking all but 2 cities from her. The game fell apart when Sweden DOW me and took one of the two cities poised for my Russian invasion. The North sea is not a good place to fight a two front war...especially when one of your opponents has the Viking special ability!