Intrateam GOTM: From Agra to Timbuktu - Saves and Pre-Game Discussion

I have just hit turn 1AD so here is where I am up to.
Spoiler :
The starting location meant that I founded the city right there. Lots of forest and food equals a good start.
here is my tech path that I took.
Spoiler :
Agr - AH - BW - TW - Mason (I was thinking I might get Judaism, but it was found not much after I discovered Mason, which meant I changed my tech path after that) - Hunt - Arc - Med - Write (I should have put Writing before Hunting) - Poly - PH - Maths - Mon - Fish - CoL (and I got Confucianism) - IW
I will have Sailing in one turn so I could get Calendar next, but soon I will need to go to war with Boudica as she is very close,so I think I will need Elephants, Cats and maces for that.

Here are some pictures detailing my empire.
Spoiler :
Here is the extent of my empire. As you can it is quite large.I have two settlers in production to expand northwards.

Here are my demographics at 1AD
Spoiler :
Here is my score
Spoiler :

Here is my GNP
Spoiler :

Here is my Crop Yield
Spoiler :
http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q485/classical_hero/HN184-PC/Demographics-CropYield_zps3ca4e727.jpg

i have more to put in, but I am just too tired, so I will update tomorrow.

Spoiler :
Impressive! :thumbsup: If it were me, I probably would have gone for the Aztecs first, given how nice the land in between them and India was. Zululand obviously was an easy target, though. I probably shouldn't have lined all of the civs up in a row like that, it just makes domination the obvious VC.

Spoiler :
Thanks for the feedback! Good observation about taking out the Aztecs first. Never really considered it, especially after Boa sniped that city site from me that the damned barb razed.

Hope you put up another game at some point. I'll play it.

I have just hit turn 1AD so here is where I am up to.

i have more to put in, but I am just too tired, so I will update tomorrow.

Glad to see you're playing this! :goodjob: Looks like you're in a pretty strong position. Am I allowed to give non-spoiler feedback (based on what has already been uncovered)?

Spoiler :
You've got to chop those forests, especially now that you have maths. What do you think about the city placement of Patal? I planted in the same spot and was disappointed with the lack of resources.
Good luck with the rest of your game.

I think I finished the map with cuirs stomp, but tough to remember now since after the rex it kinda fall from me the interest.

If I will be in mood between my Moo 2 and LoL sessions I will look if I can do HA conquest on this one.

Well I guess I've already learned a bunch from watching the more experienced players here, this is the best I have ever done on emperor. Am anxious to start smacking down some AI's but I have so much good land and they are kinda far so its just not worth it yet.

Attachments

• Mansa1889 AD-0100.CivBeyondSwordSave
    191.1 KB · Views: 54
Just had a chance to look at your save, 1889.

Spoiler :
Looking good! With that solid lead in all the demographics, this game is yours to win. I agree completely with your sentiments of being torn between wanting to go smash some ai, and building your own empire first. What are your plans when you are ready to take on the AI? In which era are you thinking of going on the offensive?

If you care for them, there are some suggestions in the spoiler.

Spoiler :
You should chop all those trees in your core. With Fast Workers, you could still snag the 'Mids if you want them. You're going down Literature, so make sure to at least use them for TGL and the epics.

You probably don't need courthouses yet in your cities with less than 5 maintenance per turn. Workers might be a better investment.

You'll lose your iron soon now that the Zulu city has culture in it. You have another source clearly in your sphere of influence to the north. Too bad there aren't any good food resources nearby.

Anywhere you're working unimproved tiles, whip away those citizens. Preferably into more workers to improve those tiles

Good luck with the rest of your game!

Did anyone else finish this? It didn't seem like there was a whole lot of interest, but if Bowsling would be willing to sponsor another one, or if the team wanted to do a casual SG, I'd be game.

I think I finished the map with cuirs stomp, but tough to remember now since after the rex it kinda fall from me the interest.

If I will be in mood between my Moo 2 and LoL sessions I will look if I can do HA conquest on this one.

This sounded like a lot of fun, and it's something I've never done before. Since I really enjoyed the map, I decided to give it a shot.

Spoiler :
Played this game with much different objectives than the first time around. The goal is to win by conquest using nothing but Horse Archers. My strategy is basically spam as many cities as possible while racing toward HBR to have as much pop to whip into HA's as possible. Since I knew I'd be warring the whole game, I also went for my first game with a "worker-steal" strategy, DOWing Zulu early and taking a worker while choking their early development.

As soon as I got HBR, started chopping / whipping HA's like crazy. Also tried to squeeze some Stables in there. Went for Aztec first this time, based on Bowsling's suggestion. Took them out on T90

Spoiler :

That went well, but taking a look at all the jungle between me and the next teams to the north, I started to doubt whether I could really finish off all the teams without getting more advanced troops...

Spoiler :

Well, I still need to take out the Zulu, so I use the time to start building a Great Highway through the jungle wilderness of the north. While I was finishing off the Aztec, I was sending newly built HA's to the southern Zulu front, so I finished them off fast enough, by T100.

Spoiler :

Even with my road, it takes a minute to trek through all that jungle and attack the northern civs. I wipe out the Egyptians on T115.

Spoiler :

Here's my civ at this point.

Spoiler :

Much smaller than the first time around, but like I said, different objectives. I kept the first two capitals I captured, but every other city was razed. Ottomans met their end on T125

Spoiler :

Mayans follow on T134.

Spoiler :

Now things are really rolling. I've been producing nothing but HA's for dozens of turns, and am just overwhelming these primitive defenses. Still, the logistics of getting so many units to such far-flung wars was tough. I kept my workers expanding wilderness roads throughout the game, and was pretty consistently losing gold at 0% research. I basically turned off research after HBR. I got a couple useless techs, then just started stockpiling gold. Anyways, HRE fell on T142.

Spoiler :

And the Natives take their leave on T150, leaving me alone on the continent.

Spoiler :

There was still the Incans on that pesky island, and it really is far with nothing but galleys. I've switched a few coastal cities to galley construction awhile ago, and have started shipping over my armies. I DOW'ed them a long time ago to scout their lands and pillage, but a a result they've been spamming archers and Quechua. I attack before I get enough HA's over, so I have to keep re-attacking with injured units, but I get a couple lucky rolls and eliminate my last competitor on T159. First, some pictures from right before I take the last city.

Spoiler :

And the final blow.

Spoiler :

Another very fun game, so thanks again to Bowsling. As always, comments / suggestions / critiques are very welcome. Hopefully some more people share their games as well.

Spoiler :
Awesome! :goodjob:

Have to admit I've never seen the Great Wall graphic in neutral territory - it gave me a chuckly, especially with all the horse archers hanging around.

I'll definitely have to give an HA conquest a try, once I get more comfortable on Immortal. What save did you start from?

1AD. Arkis game- Open Class

Attachments

• Mansa AD-0001-Arki.CivBeyondSwordSave
    184.1 KB · Views: 53
Thanks for submitting your save Arkis! I'm taking a look at it now, and you're in a pretty good position at 1AD. Comments in the spoiler.

Spoiler :
You need way more workers! Aim for 1.5 or 2 per city. With India and this many forests, Fast Workers should be your best friends. You'll finish the AP faster if you work all those high-yield food tiles, whip a couple workers putting overflow into the AP, and use those workers to pre-chop your 14 forests to all complete after you finish Maths. Definitely don't finish any of those forest chops before you complete Maths in 5 turns.

It's too late for this game, but when you have a city with a huge food surplus like Delhi, it's often a good idea to plant other cities close enough so they can share the food. That way if you need to slow down growth and stop working the food tiles, there's another city that can borrow them and those excellent yields don't go to waste. In this game, if you're worried about unhappiness, I suggest a quick switch into HR. It's the same upkeep as despotism, so you don't have to pay more for it, and you're Spiritual so it won't even cost you a turn of anarchy. That'll give you an immediate +1 happy and let you stockpile cheap archers to increase the happy cap further.

Those Granary builds are excellent decisions. The whip is by far the most efficient means of production in this game, and Granaries double the power of the whip. These should be your first build in most new cities. I would switch your new cities of Agra and KwaD to Granaries, too. It's much more efficient to build your units in your more established core production cities.

What are your war plans for the Zulu? Congratulations on the first city capture!

i have to notice that I am usually peaceful in my games, so having more than two axemen at this poing is quite unusual for me. But: I am consiedring quickly finishing off zulu and finishing The Apostolic Palace, which will boost my production.

Did anyone else finish this? It didn't seem like there was a whole lot of interest, but if Bowsling would be willing to sponsor another one, or if the team wanted to do a casual SG, I'd be game.

I'd most probably do it again too. I finished but wasn't trying to get the earliest win or highest score. I was having too much fun abusing the AI.

I'd love another one too. But I would also ask if it is possible to get one version that uses the BUG mod? I found that mod a great resource for learning :)

I'd most probably do it again too. I finished but wasn't trying to get the earliest win or highest score. I was having too much fun abusing the AI.

I'd love another one too. But I would also ask if it is possible to get one version that uses the BUG mod? I found that mod a great resource for learning :)

So what do you say, Bowsling? Do you have another map for us? Do you guys want to try a casual SG, or do you prefer the GOTM style we used for the first game?

I'm in

I have just started to play that one - BUG mode would be great, pre-chopping forest without it is such a hassle, I always forget which turn to manually stop and it ruins my micro :(

As long as the next game doesn't require BUG mod, I'm ok. I'm not a fan.

So what do you guys want to do? Another GOTM? Would people actually report on their games until the end? I think I would prefer a succession game. Nothing crazy like the SGOTM's. I lurked bcool's team and the effort they put into that game was crazy. Just play ten turns, chat about our strategy and goals for the next turn set, and continue. That will force everyone to report on what they're doing.

Do we have this for a roster so far?

YossarianLives
Caledorn
Arkipeller
Maga_R

Top Bottom