1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Intrateam GOTM: From Agra to Timbuktu - Saves and Pre-Game Discussion

Discussion in 'Team CivFanatics' started by Bowsling, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Maga_R

Maga_R Has quit civ

I do not have prefence between GOTM and SG, either one would be fun. I just started playing current GOTM, hope to report soon.

SG could actually be good, as it will force more discussion about the game play.

2. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

Does that mean you're up for a succession game now?

I'll count that as a confirmation that you're in! So this is looking like a pretty good team. Can we get confirmations from the rest of you?

YossarianLives - confirmed
    Maga_R - confirmed
    classical_hero
    Caledorn
    Arkipeller

As I said earlier, I'm not extremely familiar with SG's here. I'm envisioning us just posting and strategizing between turnsets. Does 20-15-10-10 for the turnsets sound good to everyone? And I'm thinking 24 hours to "claim" the save, and 48 additional hours to play? We'd play a little above the average difficulty level (since presumably we'll do better as a team than we would individually), and/or play with a variant or specific objective.

I'm up for changing any of those settings if the team wants.

3. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

I'm in :)

4. Bowsling

Bowsling Deity

If we do a Succession Game, we could probably stick with a random map. That way, I'll be able to play. :D

5. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

Random map sounds good to me. So we've got

Maga_R - confirmed
    Caledorn - confirmed
    Bowsling - confirmed
    classical_hero ?
    1889 ?
    Arkipeller ?

6. 2metraninja

2metraninja Defender of Nabaxica

As it seems I dont find the time to participate even with playing out the normal GOTM style game, what to say about a SGOTM. But I would find it as obstacle/distraction to the discussion in the main game, if you guys and gals put efforts in discussing strategy/tactics about the succession game instead of the ISDG :) It would be really great if you have time and energy to devote to discussions and I would have preferred this energy to go in to the main game. Of course if anyone finds time and energy to participate in both, this will be great too. :)

7. Maga_R

Maga_R Has quit civ

I am in :)

Do you mean 72 hours total per turnset? Are we planning to discuss first and then somebody would execute the moves, as a normal turnplayer? Or everybody will play according to their best ideas and we will dissect it later?

I am not suggesting anything, I have never played SG, so I am just asking to get better understanding.

8. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

I've always said it would be the best way to learn, since it means we get to see how others play and see how we can improve our own play.

9. tobiasn

tobiasn Warlord

I'd like to join if it's possible to play on mac (that means no DLL-based mods..) - and if there's room of course.

I'm currently playing a Monarch game and doing allright. Think I'll learn a lot from a game like this.

10. Maga_R

Maga_R Has quit civ

Hi Tobiasn,

I do not think it is relevant for our GOTM, but there is a way to play on Mac even DLL-based stuff. You basically need to have Windows Virtual Machine and do some research on 3D graphics acceleration, etc - a bit of hassle, but once it is done, it works. It was easier for me than to work with Mac mods.

11. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

So in a Succession Game, we take turns playing the same game. One person plays ten turns, then posts the save and a description of the turn with screenshots ideally. Then the next person opens the save, plays the next ten turns, and so on. Between turns, the team discusses plans and strategy, primarily for the next ten turns, but also overall long-term objectives. In the end, only one game is played, but everyone on the team gets turns to be the turnplayer. The first couple turns are a little longer because there is less to do in the initial turns. When you are up, you have 24 hours to post a "got it" message acknowledging that you are aware it's your turn. Then you have 48 hours to actually play your ten turns. I'm sure we can be lenient with this, but if you don't play your turn, I guess we just skip to the next person until the next time you're up.

Great, I'm counting you in!

I have no idea if this format supports play on macs. Anyone have any ideas?

So here's the line-up.

Maga_R - confirmed
    Caledorn - confirmed
    Bowsling - confirmed
    classical_hero - confirmed
    tobiasn - confirmed (if he can play on a mac)
    Arkipeller ?
    1889 ?

If we get 8 players, we should probably split into two teams of 4. With 6, I think we're ready to go. Let's decide on a difficulty and any other settings we want to use. Any suggestions?

@2metraninja: I completely agree with your sentiment that we need more discussion from our team. But you're in way too many games to tell others not to start a new one! Hopefully the SG team will be so inspired with Civ enthusiasm, we'll all be posting more about the main game, too.

12. tobiasn

tobiasn Warlord

If you're not using any mods (like BULL or HOF) I'm good to play. BUG is fine, that one works on Macs.

Personally I'd prefer Prince or higher. With so many players, the micro is bound to be better than usual. So unless we go for a strict variant, too low difficulty means a short game I think?

Speaking of variant, unrestricted leaders, torodial wrap and no tech trading seems like good settings to try.. :)

13. 2metraninja

2metraninja Defender of Nabaxica

:) I will again try to propose that you make similar setup as the real ISDG: Solid land mass, Toroidal, Emperor, lush land. Maybe even Mansa of India?

14. Arkipeller

Arkipeller Ancient of Lore

I'm in

15. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

Since we are making this a SG, I think this is a good idea. I will perform horrid against an Emperor AI on my own, but with others helping and planning I feel more confident :)

16. Maga_R

Maga_R Has quit civ

Hello,

this is my current save from our GOTM. I have played only to turn 50 - and it seems that I did pretty well, but I am not sure what to do next:
    Spoiler :
    I have 3 cities and a couple of fast workers - but I am not sure what to do now? I was normally playing marathon and on crowded maps favoring conquest.

Will I have enough time to chop Stonehedge? Should I settle more towards east, to settle stone for 3rd city, to aid in stone wonders?

So far teching order seemed clear: Agri>AH>BW>TW>Pottery

I have also successfully stole 2 fast workers - but I am not sure it was worth it, technology trading is on but stealing workers will likely make these neighboring civs not to trade with me.

I saw that some people like Yossarian have 11-14 cities around 1AD - I do not think I will ever get there with my normal playing style - so I am ready for tips now. The one thing I know is causing me not too expand fast enough is that I do not like to whip.

What should I be researching now: Math->currency and pick alphabet by trade?

It seems that I am the only person still playing, so I am not sure any spoiler alerts necessary ;-)

Attached Files:

17. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

Maga, I'm taking a look at your save right now. Things are looking good!

Spoiler :

I really like your city placement. Your new city Vijay is perfectly situated to be a MFG powerhouse. It's got 3 grass hills, 2 plains hills and 2 desert hills. When you're borrowing food from the capital, you've got enough to work them all. You want all farms along the river here. Bombay is a great economic city. You'll eventually want all cottages here, but a farm or two to boost it up in size might be good to begin.

Awesome that you're up to five workers. They have so much to do! Chopping SH, improving Vijay and Bombay, chopping settlers out of Delhi.

You're right that you slow your game massively by not whipping. It's by far the most efficient means of production at this stage in the game. With a granary the power is doubled. Early granaries and frequent whips is the best way to get new cities contributing to your empire. That is why food is king. You want to settle your cities where you can get bigger food surpluses, allowing you to whip more. The Stone city is very food-poor so you should prioritize it only if you want to build a lot of stone wonders. You should share some of the food from your capital to let your newer cities develop faster, especially since you've hit the happy cap there.

Maths early with all these forests is a very good strategy.

18. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

I also agree with 2metra's suggestion that we mirror the ISDG settings as much as possible. I would even mirror our opponent civ/leaders. Bowsling, do you want to roll the map, and we can get started with the confirmed team:

Maga_R - confirmed
    Caledorn - confirmed
    Bowsling - confirmed
    classical_hero - confirmed
    tobiasn - confirmed
    Arkipeller - confirmed

19. tobiasn

tobiasn Warlord

Cool! I'm looking forward to this. It's my first SG ever. :)

20. tobiasn

tobiasn Warlord

Any news on this? Just a heads up, I'm away from Friday morning to Sunday evening CET.