Introduce Ourselves

ZimZum514

Chieftain
A while back, I saw a similar thread and couldn't find it now. I see so many of the same names contributing to the forum, but wondered about the real life people behind the screen name. Of course, for security's sake we can't be too terribly specific (no real names / super specific details), but I'd love to know more about the frequent fliers here. I'll start:

I'm 39 and married with a kid, working as a computer programmer in the U.S. I first started playing Civ, when I saw a friend's dad playing Civ I. I've been hooked ever since. Civ IV had been my long time favorite, but I'm very much enjoying Civ VI.

Moderator Action: This may be the thread you remember: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/jobs-irl.631385/

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 32. No kids. I have a PhD in medieval French literature and have worked as a teacher, a dictionary researcher and now I'm in digital academic publishing (we digitise historical documents and publish them online). I live in south-western England but am not native to this area, or even particularly to this country beyond the passport.

My dad introduced me to Civ II back in the day and I've played every iteration of the franchise since (including the Call to Power games) except CivRev and Beyond Earth. That's definitely the longest I've stuck with any gaming franchise! :)

I just turned thirty six last Friday. I'm a vice president at a bank, and I'm responsible for analyzing and reporting fraud data for my company. I live in the midwestern United States and I'm engaged to be married next July.

I've been playing Civilization since I was about twelve years old, I started with the first game, but my favorites are Colonization and Alpha Centauri. I haven't played any Civilization for a few months, but I'm often checking back here especially to see if there's any news on like patches or that next expansion or something, and I still read a lot of threads even if I don't really have much to add to conversations right now.

I'm not at all a competitive Civilization player, I enjoy playing for fun, and I very rarely warmonger in my games unless I'm really forced to do so, and my army is usually just standing around to convince others I'm not worth attacking lol. I love building cities and watching my nation grow, and choosing my civics and such.

I am almost 24. I am a self studied software developer.Other than gaming I love coding, biking and working out.Currently I am doing freelance full stack web programming.

Sadly I wasn't introduced to the Civilization series until Civilization 5.I wish someone told me earlier how great the series is.However I have played 3,4,4col,5,6,be and rev1 and 2.

I was surfing steam store one day and saw Civilization V on the front page.Despite the good reviews I was doubtful that I'll even like it.But regardless I couldn't able to afford it as I were still in 10th grade so I took the ugly route(which I won't talk about for the risk of getting banned lol) and played the game.It clicked for me at the very first hour. After that I uninstalled the game and started saving.Then 1 month later I bought the game on steam and a year later bought the same game with BNW as I wanted the physical copy.

After I went to college(2013), I bought 3,4 and be too.And were immediately a fan of CIV IV.I liked CIV IV even more than V which is saying a lot.And I still prefer 4 over 5 till this day.
So unlike many of you guys I don't have a long history with this series but I am devoted to it as much as you guys.Only if I could go back in time and uninstalled GTA Vice city from my PC and installed CIV 3 for younger me to enjoy.

PS: Not that I am complaining but I don't think this post fit this section of the forum.

I am almost 24. I am a self studied software developer.Other than gaming I love coding, biking and working out.Currently I am doing freelance full stack web programming.
My degree's in accounting, but I've self taught myself how to program in SQL and SAS, and that's what I use more for my job lol. My first ever programming experience was with Civilization 2, I discovered those text files and I learned I could rewrite pretty much everything, and I found you could open up the unit picture in MS Paint and redraw your units and everything (I have no artistic skill, so I edited mine pixel by pixel, lol!) My first ever change was inspired by the Spy unit, and also with images from various colonists in Colonization, I changed every unit to be female. After playing with all those files in Civilization, I took a class in QBASIC at my high school, and that sort of set up my foundation so i could learn other programming languages when I got older.

I'm so sorry you didn't find Civilization until so late, those old ones were just so much fun! I think it's really cute though, I've been playing this game almost exactly as long as you've been alive! :)

Reactions: Rup
Started playing Civ2 back when I was in the Navy. Even had a couple guys I worked with who played Civ2 on the computers in our work station/office. Never went to college, even though I easily had the grades and AP test scores for it. I went into the Nuclear power program in the U.S. Navy. Ended up with NEC 3386, surface nuclear MM Engineering Laboratory Technician. Re-enlisted once, did not make it a career. Of course the work I do now is not related to that in any way. It's a dead end field because the nuclear power industry is dead. So I changed focus, and my focus is more technological now (The stuff I worked on in the Navy was 1950's technology), mostly it involves me fixing things.

And I moved back to where I was born. The mojave desert. Almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

I'm 55. I've played Civ since Civ 1 came out back in 1992 if I am remembering that year correctly. I was married from 1994 to 2014, have two kids in their early 20's, and am now enjoying life and getting back into my hobbies I had to give up for the most part for close to 20 years. My son and daughter also play Civ. Maybe I'll try to get them to play a multiplayer game over the holidays.

I'm a retired male, single, age 64, been playing Civ for about 15 years (since III) after a friend told me about it. Like MaryKB, I prefer acting as a peaceful builder, usually aiming for a culture victory. :)

Last edited:
Ha!
59. never married, former computer programmer, now landlord. Living in Siberia.
Started strategic gaming with a game named AFAIR Empire, all about founding cities, producing war units, explorating the map and conquering everything. I wonder if anybody remember it now.
When I saw Civ 1, in 1991, I thought it to be direct descendant of that previous game, but better, adding science, money, civil buildings, ba-arbarians and all the rest. Fanatic of the series till then. Lover of islands map till earlier (all maps were islands in Empire). Started buying games (instead of pirating them) with Civ V.

Hi, French-Canadian (Québécois) here, 38, not married, expecting first child next Spring (a future player). Working in communications as a writer, webmaster, PR counsellor for a university research program.
Also musician, mostly as a hobby. Heavy stuff!
Was introduced to Civ III by a friend and been hooked ever since!

I'm 18 y o Dutch male, turning 19 tomorrow. I'm in my final year of pre-university education. First played civ v a couple of years ago and have been in love with the franchise ever since. I love to draw and make music.

In my 30s. I am a college professor in the US with a PhD in accounting.

Been playing since Civ II (have the old tech tree that came in the box framed and on my wall at my home office). I like to dominate via peaceful means and particularly enjoy trade based civs.

I'm almost exclusively a culture player.

So many culture players and builders here. I alter my game play style based on which civ I'm playing. If I'm playing someone like the Cree I avoid war completely. Some people I might do an early rush to conquer nearby neighbors, or some games I just conquer every city in the world, which is something that has been hard to do since Civ2 days. Back in Civ2 I'd build up peacefully, switch to Fundamentalism, and just crush everyone.

Studied history and partyology while at college. After completing my partyology degree in drug/alcohol rehab, I went back and finished my history degree. Found work in aerospace, which had a program that paid for 100% tuition for education. Worked through an MBA program over 3 years. Was never able to do much with the MBA and retooled as an ultrasound tech. I am presently quasi-retired. I have a 3 day revolving schedule:

Ride my bike 40 miles, play civ.
Ride bike 40 miles, play civ.
Go to gym, play civ.

In case you haven't guessed, I'm single.

Last edited:
I'm 25, married, no kids yet, and I have an undergraduate degree in History (with most of my classes being geared towards European and Middle Eastern history), and have a law degree as well, currently working as an attorney.

Started with Civ III when I was a kid (my Dad played it), but I eventually wound up playing every iteration at least one game each, except for the original Call to Power and Rev II. I play a lot of other strategy games as well, but Civ is the brand I have been loyal to more than any other for 16 years. It's also what got me interested in pursuing History in the first place - I read the civilopedia constantly.

Edit: Also am a huge builder as opposed to conqueror (though when I was younger the military aspect was definitely more my play/easier to understand).

I'm 36. Engineer. Central Illinois. Father of 4 boys, ages 1-7. I've been playing Civ since the mid-90s.

I'm almost exclusively a culture player. I like to build more than conquer.
u sound like a perfect player for me to go up against, cuz I hate the logic of going and conquering other human players.

I'm a bear anyway. A Game Art and Design student in Ireland!

Top Bottom