1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Introduce Ourselves

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by ZimZum514, Nov 8, 2018.

1. ShahJahanII

ShahJahanII Homesick Alien

20 year old electrical engineering major, made this account when I was 13 and I've been playing starting with Civ IV BTS when I was 10. Haven't been too active at all in here but I'm popping back in every now and then for details about the likely upcoming expansion.

Civrinn likes this.
  2. timmychompchomp

timmychompchomp Chieftain

Fun thread.

I am in my early 40’s, male, and live on the West Coast of the US. I am married. I spent 23 years employed by a major media/entertainment company as member of the creative arm of the company. I also worked as a professional dancer, actor, and choreographer for the previously mentioned company and a select group of others.

I am currently quasi retired due to health reasons and enjoy numerous eclectic passions and hobbies. These include zoology, basketball, history, art, game design, web design, writing, poetry, and strategy games (my favorites being CIV 4 thru 6).

3. Slip de Garcon

Slip de Garcon Chieftain

45 year old childless cohabitee from South West England.

Terrible MEng in Civil Engineering, so not entitled to build Statue of Liberty but instead run an office plant company.

Started with Civ 2/SMAC in about 1998 and never looked back.

Other interests include fast cars, bulldogs and my big garden.

Talking about the age range, I also play a silly MP resources game on my tablet and my team includes schoolchildren and grandparents!

4. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Warlord

I'm 27 years old, just finished my PhD in earth sciences.

Got into Civ IV through friends in high school. Got into CivFanatics by looking for mods, and getting sucked into the pre-expansion hype cycle ever since BtS. Now it seems to be starting again...

Xefjord likes this.
  5. ferenginar

ferenginar Grand Nagus

50 ish, married, father of 3 girls. If you go back far enough in Off topic, you can find a picture of me with my youngest, just hours after she was born, 15 years ago.

Degree was Combined Honours in Applied Mathematics and Astronomy, now work as Management Accountant / Data Manager. Been playing Civ from the start.

Civrinn likes this.
  6. Wit

Wit Chieftain

54 year-old male, very multi-cultural background (long story), consider NYC home, but currently live in Bangkok, Thailand bc of wife's job at an international organization (who also has a multi-cultural background). Ph.D. in Computer Science, two kids in college, third (and last) a high school senior.

I have been playing since Civ II. Always play Marathon speed, tend to prefer larger maps, favor peaceful play but like to explore all VCs, seem to end up leaning towards science the most and towards religion the least, though. I play at a VERY deliberate pace, consider & manage everything -- a typical games lasts days, if not weeks.

Besides strategy games, I also enjoy RPGs, in particular the The Elder Scroll series.

7. FlyinPhil

FlyinPhil Chieftain

It's a brainy game! I'm 32, married with a kid, and a military officer and pilot. Been playing since Civ II (I must have been 10? Something like that); I took a long break until Civ V when I started back up again. Science and culture almost exclusively, and always on marathon speed. I enjoy the challenge of holding off the other players as they attack me or try to convert me. I also like to set myself challenges like winning a science victory by turn 1000 on Marathon.

8. Chefofrats

Chefofrats Chieftain

I'm a labrador retriever, adept at licking my paws, chewing on slippers and going crazy on walks. The guy who's writing this for me ain't half bad either!

9. Pythakoreas

Pythakoreas Chef Tain

I'm a young man in my twenties still doing my studies. Although I was born Asian I really chose to be Canadian so call me "whitewashed" and disregard the country in my account name
    If given the choice I'd go by the "Multicultural Man" who has experienced French-Canadian, English-Canadian and South Korean cultures all at once. I speak three languages and can't stay proficient enough in either one of those

A while ago I suggested on this forum that Go was more complex than Civilization and there basically was a mob of dozen forumers who were disgruntled by what I said. Let me take this opportunity to explain where I was coming from: I'm very young and I have an entire career in front of me. I consider myself a creative person, and I considered getting into the video game industry. A really good video game can potentially change lives - this community is the very proof to that. But the way I see it, games are still full of unexploited potential to tap into. They can be very complex, but they are not. What's frustrating is that this shallowness is generally accepted to gamers, even defended to some extent. Civilization can be more complex than Go or Chess, and we shouldn't be satisfied with this, we should try harder. What we have right now is essentially a farming simulator - plopping down districts here and there is a glorified version of growing crops here and there

If no one else will do it (making dream games) then I will do it as a video game developer. That's what I want to do after I get a degree, but I'm not even sure where I should even start...

tedhebert likes this.
  10. Nico_D

Nico_D Chieftain

I'm a 42 year-old Finnish male with two kids. Writer, ex-journalist.

The only Civ I've played was Rev on 360 and I enjoyed that even though it was very bare bones in comparison. I used to build and update my own PCs back in the.... 90s (geez) but then I grew up, had enough of that and moved to consoles. Not many Civ games on consoles and my basic desktops never powerful enough so my experience has been very limited - though interest has been very high. Bought VI for Switch and after one game I feel myself immensely stupid - I like that.

Haig likes this.
  11. Kuhlau

Kuhlau Chieftain

I am not a one-eyed German composer who fled to Denmark to avoid being drafted into Bonaparte's army and composed his new patrias national opera. That is the guy in my avatar.
    I am a 54 years old historian, retired for medical reason. My private life is ...complicated.
    I play this game mostly for recreationally purposes, and is pretty much the typical casual player, happy to thrive on Emperor. At the end of the day it is after all just a game, life has more to offer.

12. luigilime

luigilime Chieftain

hi, i'm 18 and I live in a small town in the northeast of italy, on the border with slovenia and austria, my mother is british, my father is sicilian, i'm finishing my last year of high school and looking forward to do university, thinking on doing either modern history (which is my one true love!), or economics (what i believe my country needs the most :( ), i fell in love with the civilization franchise 5 years ago, but i couldn't afford buying the game until 2 years ago when i bought civ 5 for 20 euros in slovenia, i never stopped playing it since. i love drawing and studying history, always going to my city library to get history books and great literary works, planning on reading karl marx and adam smith next.

Xandinho, Siptah and Guandao like this.
  13. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

Never actually played Go, but I just wanted to say complexity may be subjective. For instance, I'm decently good at Civ6, but I am horrible at Scrabble. Does that mean Scrabble is a more complex game than Civ6? I am embarrassingly bad at Scrabble, granted I only played it once. But I was so embarrassed at my performance I would never try again. Civ 6 seems easy in comparison.

14. Xefjord

Xefjord Chieftain

I am a 20 year old Information Technology major living in the Midwestern United States. My whole overarching goal in life is to move to East Asia after I finish college and I have studied Japanese and Korean off and on for 6 years. Outside of Civ I enjoy researching East Asian history, languages, and culture, and I also really enjoy maps (Looking at them and creating them.) I like Anime/Kdramas and am kind of a weeb/koreaboo as well.

For Civ the first game I played was Civ 4, but I didn't play very much. I was too young to hardly know what the game was even about. Years later I got into Civ 5 and sunk a lot of time into it, I had a lot of friends in highschool to play it with as well. Now I mostly play Civ 6 by myself as most of my old Civ friends have gotten busy, or didn't like Civ 6 at launch and refuse to give it a second chance. I play Civ in kind of a roleplayish way, always playing on True Start Location Earth maps and often turning off all Victory types to just let the game go and see what the world ends up looking like.

15. Pythakoreas

Pythakoreas Chef Tain

Not commenting on this to avoid an entire debate on a thread about introductions

I had to choose between History and Economics for Uni once, me too.
    I remember getting into Economics and a statistics course there exploded my brain and dropped the major. When you take your Economics statistics put ALL your work in.

luigilime likes this.
  16. luigilime

luigilime Chieftain

ahahahahah alright i'll bear that in mind