1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Introduce Yourself!

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Creation & Customization' started by ldvhl, May 28, 2016.

1. ldvhl

ldvhl ніщо

Hi all!

I thought that since it looks like VI will have modders from different prior games and their communities as well as new modders, I figured now would be a good chance to introduce ourselves and find out who's interested in what.

I've played a lot of Civ games (missed only 1, Call to Power 2, and the Revolution games) and modded V BNW is my favorite of the franchise. I was a historian in a previous career and that's part of why I'm drawn to Civ games.

For CiVI, I'd like to redo my CCSMM mod (stands for Community City-State Master Mod), which gives City-States very obscure names so there's no potential for overlap with mod civs that might be made. I'm also interested in adding civs that aren't included by Firaxis (like I imagine a lot of us are).

So how about the rest of y'all?

2. kingchris20

kingchris20 Wisdom Seeker

Resident of Heaven; Currently in the Waiting Room
    I just simply love this type of strategy game. Though I didn't like CivBE much, probably the futuristic alien setting that turned me off the most, but I could have pushed through that if the civs weren't "Create your own" style.... I love the fact that each civ in 5 and 6 has/will have their own uniqueness to them. I started at CivRev on PS3, then moved into Civ 5 and now waiting for Civ 6!

I'm not a very talented modder, but I can work with existing XML table data (tried LUA once or twice) and use Photoshop for art. I see that there are many, many talented modders handling historic civs, and do much better than I could, but I did not see an Elder Scrolls mod available anywhere (except maps), so I went to work. Hopefully I can find time to bring it over to Civ 6!

3. Craig_Sutter

Craig_Sutter Chieftain

I have played civ from the first iteration... and started modding from civ 3... more seriously in 5. I have worked on a viking age scenario in the last 3 versions and will likely redo it in 6.

My actual dream is to do a medieval mod similar to Anno Domini in nature... with a strong emphasis on dark age Europe.

4. BelugaHotSpot

BelugaHotSpot Chieftain

Civ vi (Civi? 6iv? lol) is happening right on time after my graduation so I can finally get as involved as I always wanted to.

I really like the 3 uniques +1 UA + 1 agenda, and the bigger than life characterization they are pushing right now. I'm really inspired to make alternate leaders and civs that were not necessarily successful, but had a lot of character (like their choice of Cleopatra). I love tragic figures, madmen, ideologists and fanatics!. I've got a couple of designs in mind, but the most basic example of the stuff that I'd like to do would be a Marie-Antoinette and a Robespierre civ!

I got basic coding knowledge, but what I'm most excited for is making leaderscreens! Probably for other modders too if they look good enough.

5. LeeS

LeeS Imperator

I'll have to play civ6 1st before I can really decide whether I will dabble, ignore, or convert wholly to 6.

My current plan between now and October is to clear slate of anything outstanding in the mods I have already created, and to issue a final 'goodnight' update for any that need it in case I decide to move exclusively to 6 modding. Between now and October I intend to try to clean up any outstanding projects re Civ5 references and tutorials. Given this I don't intend to start any major projects between now and release of 6.

Then I will play once I have my dirty hands on 6, and decide what if anything there is for me to mod for civ6. I don't intend to do any civilizations in 6 -- I just don't have the flair for it, really, and what with all the game-mechanic-compatibility additions one has to make for a 5 civilization-mod nowadays, it's just too much effort. I expect 6 will quickly become the same sort of thing wrt to modded civilizations because all the people who created the interesting gameplay mechanic mods for which Civ5 civilizations need to be given compatibility have so far at least expressed interest in porting their mods over to the 6 system.

My only concern is that 6 will be different enough from 5 that most of my mods won't be able to transition in any reasonable form from 5 to 6. Era Buildings especially concerns me, though there aren't anything like the number of users of it that JFD gets (for example) for his average mod.

My sig I think pretty much covers what it is I tend to do so far as Civ5 modding goes.

I've played all the civ games except the 'Rev' games and BE (which was just confusing and far too ugly), but I've only done extensive modding in 5. Prior to that is was just making rules-file changes for my own use.

---------------------------------------------------------

The mod I want to make is a "Cloak and Dagger" mod1:
    • Hidden Nationality "Spies" roam the map and do mean things to adversaries
      • Steal technology
      • subborn units
      • sabotage a city's production
      • other mean things
    • Hidden Nationality "Assassins" roam the map and do mean things to adversary's Great People
      • Assassination
      • Subbornation
    • "Agents" roam the map and counter "Assassins" and "Spies" and either eject them from your territory or city, or they execute them
    Not at all ambitious. I may have to learn dll or whatever the equivalent is in 6 in order to accomplish it because it would require heavy rework of whatever the AI system is in 6 in order to get the AI to understand and use such a system

1I really wanted to make this mod for Civ5, but Civ5 won't wear hidden nationality. Even William Howard could not get a hidden nationality to work in Civ5 because we have no access to the code of the graphics engine and the graphics engine was betraying the nationality.

6. ldvhl

ldvhl ніщо

Espionage like that was definitely lacking in V. Hopefully Firaxis will include some of your ideas for VI, but if not, I'd be happy to help with your planned mod!

7. Firebug

Firebug Not-so Great Engineer

Ah! Where am i!
    What is this place.
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

8. ldvhl

ldvhl ніщо

Welcome to your future.

9. Neirai

Neirai the Forgiven

Hi, I'm John.
    I realize I have a problem.
    I can't stop modding Civs!
    But I can change!
    I can create more Colonialist Legacies mods in Civ 6.

The problem started when I co-founded Colonialist Legacies.
    Once I found out that Civ 6 will have out of the box multiplayer mod support, I was hooked.

10. ldvhl

ldvhl ніщо

I hear there's a website called civanon...

11. Xyth

Xyth History Rewritten

Greetings.

I've been playing since Civ1, modding since Civ3. Skipped Civ5, but cautiously optimistic about Civ6. Lurking on this forum to see how good the modding situation will be. Hoping for much better accessibility to graphic modding, and more extensive scripting capabilities. Really hoping they don't push further down the DLL and proprietary tools path, as that would make things even more restrictive for Mac modders like me.

12. HanNorwood

HanNorwood Tamar

Howdy. I started playing Civ at Civ IV, when I was 9-10 years old. I got into modding with Civ V, which I've logged over 1200 hours on, and intend to be back for Civ VI, depending on how busy school is.

13. Putmalk

Putmalk Chieftain

Putmalk here.

I created CIV IV Diplomacy for Civ 5 and a few scenarios when I was first starting out. Now contributing to CPP.

Been programming for about four years. It's my passion!

Looking forward to hopefully making some fun content for Civ VI'ers!

14. Homusubi

Homusubi Lafcadio Hearn Wannabe

Domo, I'm Homusubi. I did quite a bit of work for Civ V with making Japanese civs (I made it to seventeen IIRC, including the Ainu), but never learnt Lua so was always seen as a kind of second-division modder. I'm not going to let that happen again for Civ VI!

In terms of other projects, I did Hi wa Mata Noboru for EUIV about a year ago, making me the unofficial second-in-command of the Paradox forums' For-Gods-Sake-Do-Something-With-Japan pressure group. I've also modded Oblivion, Morrowind, Portal 2, and Factorio, to varying degrees of success (some of the things I did a few years ago are downright embarrassing now...).

On to more Japan splits for Civ VI! Ganbarimasho!

15. raen

raen Coat of Arms

I play since Civ 1 and since that version that I try to put Portuguese In, I want to show Portuguese culture, and I also think they always belong in the game.

I play civ 4 BTS yet and I have my super Portuguese mod on it.

Recently, I can play Civ 1 in mobile with full experience and I did a little mod to put Portuguese in :)

If I play it I mod it, if not doesnt make sense to me ;)

16. Atlas627

Atlas627 Chieftain

I have never modded Civ, but I do have experience modding and making maps for other games, as well as making a few small games. I studied game design and programming in college, and I'd like to make some use of that.

Civ6 has promised proper support for modding, so I'm interested in getting started. I also need to get back into practice with programming, so this seems like a good place to do it.

I'm super excited for Civ6 in general, but I have an "overhaul" idea that I'd like to start on right off the bat. I say "overhaul" because it should actually change nearly no game mechanics, but it will completely change the way the game plays. I'll post a thread on it and I'm thrilled to start brainstorming with you all!

17. Thorburne

Thorburne Centurion

I'm Thorburne... also known as Seriously1977 on Steam. I've been around a while. The only real "mod" that I published was a special map called Orbis, which was based on the old world view of the world that included Europe, Northern Africa, the Middle East and India (with everything else believed to be water). It did include a few city-states that I had added specifically for the map.

The only other mod that I did was a personal mod for Civ V that I never published. It included additional City-States, a few changes to the city lists, and added a "fast galley" as an early ranged naval unit (utilizing the barbarian galley graphic). I liked playing with the infoaddict, city-state diplomacy, and Historical Religion mods.

Also, I should note that I am in favor of a GUI based mod tool for basic edits of stats, adding and removing certain assets like units, civs, etc, and other basic stuff. I believe that a GUI based modding tool can coexist harmoniously with a script based one without detriment. When Civ V was still coming out, there was a big debate about the whole issue (I may have even been the one who ignited it... idk).

That all said, I am looking forward to seeing what kinds of tools and methods will be used for modding Civilization VI.

18. Empariz

Empariz Chieftain

Hello everyone

Im fairly new here and my first real experience with civ was basically with Civ V + all expansions. Aside from some dabbling with map scripts, I have no prior modding experience.

I plan to start modding with Civ6. I will likely be focussing on map scripts first. I am most interesed in the multiplayer aspect, so AI and other singleplayer stuff will not be my priority.

19. thelijah

thelijah Chieftain

I'd love to help with Colonialist Legacies in Civ6 if you need help.. I only really do art and some xml and I know you have both of those covered. Not much help, but oh well. Feel free to check out some of my stuff I literally posted 5 minutes ago here.

20. Tenebrafer

Tenebrafer Chieftain

Salutations immortal tyrants, you might not know me, but I'm a regular stalker on the civ5 modding forum. I never worked on mods for any game, however Firaxis' promise of supporting multiplayer mods has made me reconsider that attitude, also civ1 was the first game I played, back in 1994 :crazyeye:

Since I usually stick with the few mods that I play with (communitas, civUP), I'll start by bug testing the patch-like/balance mod that gets the most attention here. Though, being a student of CS and an avid player of TBSs, I also plan to play around with both the balance and the AI.