Introducing a New Player

Carl5872

Prince
So my friend who usually plays first person shooter games, real time strategy games and some Beat em' up (think the Arkham games) asked to give Civ a try.

What settings would you recommend starting him on?

I know Civ can seem slow to non-players with "dead" turns, so I considered having him play on Quick Settings to see more of the game in an hour or two, as well as keeping each turn relevant. I am hesitant that it might move TOO fast for him i.e. he builds up an army of long swordsmen and by the time they reach the enemy, the world now uses rifles. I figured pangea as a map so that water would exist, but could be ignored if he wanted to.

As for which civ for him to play I was thinking Poland. They are a strong civ, they work with any direction (whereas if you don't go science in Babylon or Korea, you are really missing out). They also don't require effort to use their UA. It's just like hey heres a free SP. Enjoy!

Map size I was thinking standard so that he would have enough room to work spread out, but not be overwhelmed in large or huge.

Bottom line this game is just to get him interested in Civ as a game. Anyone with experience on converting new players? What works, what doesnt?

If he is used to shooters, he is likely going to want to some warmongering. I would give him whichever mililtary civ you like. I like China, since the papermaker makes it easier to keep money up early. Also, turn off the battle animations, which look cute the first few times you see them, and then just slow things down ('specially the bombers).

Start with pangea.

If he knows nothing about it he might want to play a tutorial first. Civ is pretty complicated for new players. As far as converting: bottom line, the game has to impress him, but I usually stand in and watch for the first half-hour or so and give encouragement/tidbits that gloss over what might seem monotonous to new players.

You should not turn off the battle animations for his first game! He will let you know when they stop being entertaining... Likewise, reset the advisors for maximum instruction.

The tutorial is an excellent introduction IMHO. The only problem with it is that it does not actually end, and if you can get to the victory screen, the pace is much slower than a regular game, so I never saw it. It was not clear to me when to stop and to play a game from scratch. There is no point to going through the tutorial twice.

Top Bottom