Introducing myself

Memento

The World is mine
However, may I suggest that we use a separate dedicated thread for this? After this game has ended (and these threads here become public) some of us may want to delete their entry here, and then they are easier to find, if they are in their own thread.

Play Civ1, Call to Power 1+2 :D and finaly Civ3.
I think Civ3 is the Game of my life. Ok, i make a breake for two Years and start playing again last Year.
Inspired of the GOTM i started the German Version (SdM) at Cifo in 2003 in Coperation with civ3.de
Now i play only G/COTMs here.
I like to play in this great Team with most of the best Players which still play Civ3.
And on this road I want to improve my English :D

You are a double grandfather already by the age of 40? :eek:
You must have the agricultural trait in your family :D

templar_x

My name is Ulrich, I'm 42, married since 2005 and have a daughter (5) and a son (2.5). I studied mathematics and physics and then took a job as programmer (data exchange, transformation between different data formats and encryption).

In my pastime I love music, cycling, chess and civ (though for none of them I have really enough time...)

About my "civ career" I already wrote elsewhere:
Civ3 was actually the first Computer game I bought at full price right when it was published... I had been playing Civ1 from 1992-95 using a "backup copy" I got from a friend. (This is so many years ago now, I hope I can confess this here in public without getting myself into jail. ;) )

Anyway Civ1 was fascinating and I was hooked right away. Two buddies and me spent endless winter evenings gathering in front of the PC and hoping to get the keyboard for a couple of turns... (At that time not everyone could afford a PC...) Already at that time we were dreaming of a version that would allow each one of us to manage one nation. (Kind of like the hotseat feature in Civ3...)

In '93 I finally had enough money to buy my first PC with incredible 4MB RAM and a 66MHz 486 -- the fastest machine in the dormitory! Installed were DOS 6.0 (don't remember, where I got it from... probably another "backup copy" from one of my friends...), a Fortran compiler, the LaTeX typesetting program, Chessbase and of course Civ1. (This probably delayed my diploma by a semester or so...)

In '96 I decided I needed to concentrate on my PhD and erased Civ1 from the harddrive. (That was probably one of the saddest moments in my life :lol: ) Then in 2000 I accidentally found a Civ2 CD for sale in a "bargain-bin" in a super-market for 5 DM (approx. 3$ at that time). I bought it right away and was hooked for good this time.

Finally in Feb. 2002 I visited my little brother-in-law and he showed my his computer games, including a brand-new Civ3 that had just appeared on the European market. The first reaction was: shock...! I tried to attack a Russian town with a catapult, but nothing happened?! And then a warrior came out of that town and captured my catapult!! :eek:
But after the initial learning phase was over, I began to like it. My brother-in-law and me played the entire weekend (much to the dismay of my wife and my parents-in-law :crazyeye: ), and first thing after I was back home was to go to the next computer market and buy it. (For the full price of 49.90 Euro. Besides the Conquest add-on a year later the only computer game I ever bought at full price. But it was worth it.)

As I said, when C3C came out in 2003, I also bought it right-away, and hoped that my dream of playing against real human opponents would finally come true. (I extra bought a second PC and setup a little LAN at home.) What a disappointment, when I noticed that the game crashed, whenever I tried to enter the Multiplayer-Modus! I sent an email to the Fireaxis/Infogrames support hotline, but never got a reply up to this day! Quite a disappointment after having spent almost 100 Euro on Civ3 & C3C, so I promised myself to never buy a game again. (It was years later that I accidentally found the reason for the crash: I had deactivated the sound-card in the Windows Device Manager, as I never used sound anyway. When I activated it again, the MP-Modus was working fine...)

So this is the story of how I got Civ3... For completeness here is also the "end" of the story: in 2005 my brother-in-law lent me his copy of Civ4, and I played it for a couple of weeks. Then I uninstalled it and went back to Civ3... It just didn't feel like Civilization anymore.

And finally in April 2009 I found a special "Civilization Chronicles" box on Ebay, which contains Civ1 - Civ4 (English versions). As I always wanted to make a "sentimental journey" and play a good old Civ1 game again, and as I always have problems playing Mods and Scenarios (including the old GOTM games, which require a special Mod) in my German version of C3C, I decided to buy it.

Lanzelot

I might add that I'll probably give Civ5 a try (after the next couple of patches are out...), just to see how it's like and to play a new game again. But Civ3 will always remain my great love!

Edit: forgot to mention: one other great passion of mine is history. If I hadn't gone for math, I would probably have studied history...

Ivan.

My job is theoretical physicist. Worked at Stuttgart (1991-92), Glasgow (1992-97),
Sheffield (1997 -2002), Atlanta (2002-2004), Brasilia (2005-2009), Natal (2009-2010),
Manaus 2011 (Brazil)
Porto, Portugal 2012 --?.
Play Civ1 from 1992, Civ2 (little) and finally Civ3. Tried Civ 4 but did not like it.
Play sometimes G/COTMs here.
I like to play in this great Team with most of the best Players which still play Civ3.
For research, life and Civ I use Wolfram's Mathematica.
Play chess, tennis, like canoeing and skiing. Use bike in everyday life.
Like literature and history but never thought to be professional because hate to write (whatever).

Since Marcel introduced himself, i thought it would be rude not to introduce myself.

My name is Ignas (quite obvious ). I am 23 years old, historian/history teacher by profession. Got bored, left everything at home and decided to look how people live in other countries. Visiting my friends, working some random jobs to sustain my cashflow positive in order to travel loosely. 0 kids, 0 wifes, just me and my bag for now. Now residing in United Kingdom.

Started playing civ 3 in 2003 when i saw my friend playing it (he later said it's crappy game). Found out about civfanatics in june of 2004. By then i was self-taught civ 3 player beating AI's on emperor level regularly. After joining civfanatics i learned a lot about this game from forum members (SirPleb, Moonsinger, bradleyfeanor, Kuningas, drazek, Dynamic, hendrikszoon, Obormot etc..). Now i can usually beat sid AI's with random start. Multiplayer is unknown zone for me yet. Played civ 2, civ 4, but didn't like it. Civ 3 is a part of my life. Till the end i guess, it's the only game i play.

Hoping to have good time with intelligent people beating others.

Introductions, hmm. Okay, here goes: My name is Paul. I am 44 years old and have lived all those years in Ohio, USA. I am unmarried and work part time for a local government agency. I have been a computer geek since I was 16. I was introduced to Civ 2 by a friend and was hooked. I played that for years, moving to SMAC and then Civ 3, where I intend to stay, Civ 4 and 5 don't interest me. I am a fairly decent Emperor player and play for fun. Honestly, the spreadsheets and intense planning in this game are new to me, so please be patient with me.

after all, none of us thinks he will live to see himself as a pensioneer

Well, I have started to think about that. No good ideas yet. I have updated my intro a bit.

Top Bottom