[R&F] Invalid emergency participant?

nzcamel

Nahtanoj the Magnificent
I haven't reported this in bugs, as I suspect it's more an oversight than a bug; but if anyone thinks I should, I will.

I convert Poundmaker's Holy City, and a religious emergency is declared against me. Of the two participants though I can't see how Pedro can contribute anything of use. Cos I already converted him long ago :p
I mean it's no skin off my nose that their slim hopes of succeeding are even slimer.

But it is something that a human player in Pedro's situation could exploit if they thought on the balance of probability that the emergency would be a success.

Spoiler :

Religious Emergency.PNG

On another note you can see that I have two different turn times presented that the emergency will last for. I'm guessing the one up the top is the normal speed version; and the one down below is my marathon speed version. It would be nice to get them in sync!

And I gain an extra 6,000 gold that I shouldn't have.

The language around these emergencies really needs tidying up. Calling both me and a foreign city the "target" is unhelpful.

Spoiler :

RE Victory.PNG

The two different times are the total time for the emergency, initially 60 turns, and the majority time that it has to be 'redeemed' from your heathen conversion of a holy city, 31 turns. If I recall correctly, on the one against me, once the total emergency time got to below 1/2 and no activity [i.e. the participants against me could no longer win], then the emergency was over and I won at that point.

Can you elaborate @King Rad ? I'll admit this one was shorter than I expected...but I'm still confused.

Can you elaborate @King Rad ? I'll admit this one was shorter than I expected...but I'm still confused.
Imagine that you're playing a set of games for "best 3 out of 5." You need to win 3 games, but the total number of games is up to 5. If you get lucky and win the first 3 games in a row, you'll win the match and won't play the last 2 games.

In this case, the emergency is "best 31 out of 60." The emergency lasts for 60 turns, of which you need the city to follow your religion for 31 turns (i.e. a majority of the time).

I've had a case where I liberated (and resurrected) another Civ, and an emergency triggers against me, where the resurrected civ could join in. In the end no one joined the emergency though. Could be related to the payout of the emergency, if it was successful, would have been a negative number of gold.

Also, in response to the original question, it’s possible Pedro might have still had an unconverted Hindu city at the start of the emergency, since the religion victory screen only shows the majority religion for each civilization. Hovering over Pedro’s icon on Hinduism could have told a little more of the story.

Also, in response to the original question, it’s possible Pedro might have still had an unconverted Hindu city at the start of the emergency, since the religion victory screen only shows the majority religion for each civilization. Hovering over Pedro’s icon on Hinduism could have told a little more of the story.

I can tell ya now that he didn't. The Brazilian cities were my first target as they had the pressure on the Protestant cities early in the game. By the time I converted Poundmaker's Holy City, only he and Gandhi had non-Protestant cities on my continent.

I think the participants in a Religious Emergency should get free units of that religion when the Emergency start or at least the Civ that had their Holy City converted should get it. When a player convert a Holy City, he probably already converted every city with a holy site from that Civ, so what can that Civ do? Nothing. They should get some some Apostles with debater and an Inquisitor in the city with a Holy Site that is farthest from the Holy City. This way they can convert one city back and attack the holy city or at least show some resistance.

Top Bottom