1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Invisible Berlin

Discussion in 'Civ1 - General Discussions' started by Posidonius, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Posidonius

Posidonius Civherder

This is just about the nuttiest thing i've seen so far while tinkering with rival respawns. I know that if a rival civ's larval Settler respawns on a square where you have a military unit, then your unit just poofs out of existence. But Diplomats behave differently, bizarrely different. Hard to describe, here's an excerpt from the gamelog when it happened:

2260 BC - Found Paris to SW, offered me 100 gp for peace, then all-in with 144, i refused.

2160 BC - Two hits on Paris by a Legion of NONE in the hills East of town.

2140 BC - Took Paris with Granary, French destroyed, my free Leg is a veteran.

1900 BC - Found Athens, size 4. Zulus are somewhere, still have not found new Germans nor new Aztecs.

1840 BC - Rats, i've got to roll this back 3 centuries. A German Mil is coming up from my East, where the hell did they respawn and i missed them? Cripes, i must have walked past just beyond Berlin. Well, only thing to do is play until i find Berlin, restart in 2140, then get a unit in place to trap the respawn as a newborn.

----------------------------------------

2140 BC - Wow, that's freaky. Berlin is there, i did walk right by it, BECAUSE IT'S INVISIBLE. It's on a plains, i see the dot of a single roaded spot that i noticed before, but thought the Americans had built it earlier. I try to walk a Dip onto it, and it offers me "Meet with King", but i can not see the city. Will try going back to 2160 and re-kill France.

2160 BC - Crazy. Germans respawned right on a spot where i had a Diplomat, but did not wipe out my Dip. It stepped away, then back, and now Berlin appears.

That's bonkers, right? A sentried Dip, when combined with a respawned Settler, makes both invisible and the rival Settler can found an invisible city, with your own Diplomat lodged inside. I really did walk units right past Berlin in the earlier turn sequence from 2140 to 1840 BC. It just wasn't there. Didn't notice i was missing a Dip, because by this point in the game had dozens of them running around, hard to keep track and you surely don't expect one of them to turn invisible!

I can't think of any way to exploit this quirk in the game, but that doesn't mean no exploit exists. Although i do wonder what would have happened to my Dip if Berlin had built a unit? Did my embedded Dip prevent Berlin from building a unit? If so, that might be a third way a newly spawned civ can be kept as a single "city state".

[correction- Germans did build a unit with my Dip still inside Berlin, that's how i knew something was fishy, when that Militia crept up on me.]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  2. Mize

Mize Chieftain

I've had similar experiences, but not exactly the same. Sometimes I'd conquer the last city of an enemy civ, and on the next turn, as I move the unit that conquered the place, there'd be a freshly-built size 1 city of the respawned AI right under it. The weirder part is that I cannot move back in to capture it, the unit just enters and can leave again with no consequences. In such cases I have to wait for the city to build its first defender and then kill them.

3. FashKetchum

FashKetchum Chieftain

That's very bizzare.

4. Posidonius

Posidonius Civherder

Aha Mize! Thanks, you are exactly correct. That has happened to me too. Other times, a respawn just wipes out my existing unit on the same square. Now i (think i) know which and why: it's the turn order. If the new Settler plays after me in the same turn, it founds a city right away with my unit still inside. If that color has already had a turn this round, then my unit gets wiped out.

Now i understand what happened. It wasn't an invisible Berlin because i had a Diplomat where Germany respawned, it was because i had a Sentried unit. Dips are not special, but being idled by the "S" command puts it into a different state. I think. Maybe.

5. Mize

Mize Chieftain

I also believe it's turn related but I wasn't sure enough to speculate. I've seen it at least 2-3 times recently, but I don't believe I've ever had a unit wiped out. I only get these ghost cities. I'll try to pay more attention next time and provide saves or something, but it's really hard to know when exactly it will happen.

6. Posidonius

Posidonius Civherder

That's something i have become adept at manipulating. My next game, will place tethered goats in various spots in various states of sentry status and hopefully will nail down the rules the game goes by when respawning atop my guys.