Invisible resources et al.

Startaff

Shogun
I'm experiencing a strange game where:

a) some desert tiles do not accept any work (roads or irrigation); they don't count as movement either (i.e. units pass through them at zero cost)

b) some resources and luxuries (horses, gold and oil), although showing on the map, are not visible to the computer, therefore I (and the AIs too) cannot build horsemen or tanks or enjoy happiness from gold.

here's the link to the uploaded .sav:
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads6/Ieyasu,_1816_AD.SAV

If you look at the newly founded town of New Lish (at the extreme East of the map), you'll see that I'm even trying to get hold of the oil by placing the new town just over it, but to no avail!
It's kinda frustrating (expecially as I made war to the Egyptians just to get the oil!)

Any clues?

I tried to load your save and the game says the save file is invalid... so I can't really check on it.

Anyway, is this game modded perchance? Modifications can do weird things.

It's my 1st upload and maybe I messed it up.
Maybe it's the file name? I mean, with the comma and spaces inside? But that's the name CivIII automatically provides! (pls someone tell me, or if I've to upload another file).

Modded? Well, yes and no. I just changed the Civ (Japan) traits to become Scientific instead of Militaristic. I'd be very surprised if this would change the rules of (some of) the terrain tiles and the way resources are (un)seen!

Originally posted by Startaff

b) some resources and luxuries (horses, gold and oil), although showing on the map, are not visible to the computer, therefore I (and the AIs too) cannot build horsemen or tanks or enjoy happiness from gold.

wait a minute...gold is a bonus resource, not a luxury (which brings happiness).

Startaff - What game, and what patch level? (Civ3, PTW, C3C?)

I can look at this when I get home, in a few hours.

@soren: you're RIGHT! Oops, my fault!

@Turner-727: it's vanilla Civ (I've a Mac and no upgrades are available) patched 1.29

Yesterday I started a new game (put the problematic one on hold...) and in this new one Horses are available (although I don't have any! Sigh!)

Top Bottom