Invitation for players new to PBEM: small map, 4 players + 4 AI, 24 h / player / turn

Blkbird

King
*** GAME FULL NOW ***

I've never played PBEM before and would like to give it a try, and I believe there must be quite a few others just like me. So I'm opening a new game where we PBEM newbees could get a feeling for this thing. Please consider this a group tryout rather than a serious competition if you want to join. The conditions of the game are set to be fast-paced and short-term:

- Number of players: 4 players + 2 AI
- Qualification to join: (1) You should be new to PBEM (but not necessarily new to multiplayer); (2) You should be capable of communicating with other players, discussing things, helping each others on technical and other issues; (3) You should act responsibly towards other players, never keep them waiting in the dark, inform them as soon as possible if you can't keep the schedule once for some reason
- Schedule: 24 hours for each player each turn, a player is supposed to hand in his savegame at or before 12:00 (noon) UTC (aka GMT)
- Map: Small size, otherwise subject to discussion
- Game mode: Either multiplayer (each for himself) or multiteam (two against two), subject to discussion
- Any other issues: subject to discussion

*** GAME FULL NOW ***

If you like to join, please state:
- Your sex, age, location
- Have you played previous Civ versions? If yes, have you played multiplayer?
- Which leader would you like to play?
- Which map would you like to play (please name two or three, in order of preference)?
- Would you prefer multiplayer (each for himself) or multiteam (two against two)? Would the other alternative still be acceptable to you?
- Any other issues you feel important

*** GAME FULL NOW ***

I'd like to join! Preferably as Russia/Catherine. I'm new to PBEM, so just tell me what other info you need. Thanks!

corossol.civ at gmail dot com

I'd like to join as Arabia.
botlNOSPAMgnomz at gmail dot com

As per my own request, here are my preferences:

- I played Civ 3, but not multiplayer
- I want to play Roosevelt of America
- I like Pangaea, Continents, Terra, in that order, all with normal climate and see level
- Both multiplayer and multiteam sounds fun to me

My info:

- M, 25, Montreal Canada GMT-5
- Played Civ3, some LAN multiplayer, no PBEM
- I'd like to play Russia/Catherine
- I prefer Continents, Terra, Pangaea in that order
- I prefer multiplayer

I'll play.

I am new to PBEM.
39 yo
US EST.
I'll play a random leader.
Any map is fine with me.
Have played Civ since Civ I and have played multiplayer. (usually hotseat.)

Joe

jhauser said:
Have played Civ since Civ I and have played multiplayer. (usually hotseat.)

What is actually "hotseat"?

And what is your preference regarding multiplayer/multiteam, Joe?

I am a sixteen year old male from New Jersey.
I've been playing Civ since CivII, but I've never done multiplayer.
Saladin of Arabia.
I like Continents a lot. It seems really balanced. Archipelago is great too.
Multiplayer. But team would be fine with me.
Let's try to get a good turnaround >D

Alright! The game has been created with the following settings:

Game Name: Beat the Average *

Player 1: Blkbird aka Roosevelt (industrious and organized) of America, Noble
Player 2: AI, random leader **
Player 3: Corossol aka Catherine (creative and financial) of Russia, Noble
Player 4: BotlGnomz aka Saladin (philosophical and spiritual) of Arabia, Noble
Player 5: AI, random leader **
Player 6: jhauser aka (randomly assigned) Alexander (philosophical and aggressive) of Greece, Noble

Map: Continents, Small Size, Temperate Climate, Medium Sealevel, Ancient Era, Quick Speed ***

Options: All default
Victory conditions: All

* "Beat the average" is a principle of the economic science that says in order to succeed, you don't necessarily have to be the best - you only needs to be better than the average, and the growth of your enterprise is ensured, even mathematically provable. Therefore, compared to "Be the best", "Beat the average" is considered a much more reasonable goal to aim at in the economical and related fields.
** As you can see, I've reduced the originally planned number of AI from 4 to 2. The reason is that the recommended number of players of map size "Small" is 5, and I don't want to stretch it too much.
*** I've never played Quick in single games, but this is supposed to be a fast paced learning experience, so.

Since all you guys live in the Eastern Standard Time, I'll adjust myself to you from now on and use EST for time reference. However, the orgininal deadline remains, so everybody should still make his move and send it out before noon UTC, which is equal to 7 am in you guys' local time.

I'll be making my first turn and sending out the savegame shortly. The time schedule for the next couple of days are (below, "morning" always means 7 am EST):

- Monday morning: deadline for Blkbird to send his savegame to Corossol
- Tuesday morning: deadline for Corossol to send his savegame to BotlGnomez
- Wednesday morning: deadline for BotlGnomez to send his savegame to jhauser
- Thursday morning: deadline for jhauser to send his savegame back to Blkbird
- Friday morning: deadline for Blkbird to send his second savegame to Corossol
- Saturday morning: deadline for Corossol to send his second savegame to BotlGnomez
- Sunday morning: deadline for BotlGnomez to send his second savegame to jhauser
- Next monday morning: deadline for jhauser to send his second savegame to Blkbird again

If any one of us finishes early, say in just 2 h instead of 24 h, he is of course very welcome to send out the savegame right away. The time schedule should however remain unchanged, unless due to successive "rushing" someone receive a savegame more than 24 h earlier than originally planned. At that point he should inform the rest that we have "made up" one day, whereupon the schedule moves one day ahead.

Another important thing. Please consider savegames final as soon as they are sent out. There will be no "recall", even if the player's time has not yet run out. In case a player sends out multiple different savegames, only the first should be applicable.

@jhauser: please post your email address.

I use Google Mail just like Corossol and BotlGnomez, my username there is the same as here.

The first savegame has been sent out by me, it's on the loose now!

I've asked Corossol to send us all a confirmation email as soon as he's received the file and checked it's OK. I'd like to ask all of you to do this routinely - at least for now. It only takes a minute, and gives the others the good feeling that everything is OK.

Top Bottom