1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

IO4 - Sex, Drugs, and More Drugs!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by IdiotsOpposite, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Brian Shanahan

Brian Shanahan Permanoob

2. ForGreatJustice

ForGreatJustice Master of the Grump

Yeah good point on the rest of our north. Though I think due NW of Matrix isn't a bad spot still. Yes lots of jungle, but lots of green. The spot due south of Hamsterdam is a good spot, true, we should settle that. So whatever brian decides to play it out as, I'll be content.

I'm mostly concerned then with the rest of our land. The panhandle part of the peninsula offers nothing, and when you hit the main part of the peninsula, you do have some good coastal sites. However distance will be the issue to maintain them. They wouldn't be breaking even for a while, at least until we do get CoL. At least they would be able to build their temples. Almost makes it so that we should consider chopping out the GL somewhere to take advantage of their coastal placement.

3. neilmeister

neilmeister Lentils have feelings too GOTM Staff

I have to agree about NW of The Matrix, there is also a happy resource for when we get calender.

So, to summarise, City settlement order is:
    N of Hamsterdam,
    S of Hamsterdam,
    NW of The Matrix,
    ???????

I think this should keep us going for a while.

4. Brian Shanahan

Brian Shanahan Permanoob

I'm sorry about the delay in getting this up, but my internet is currently down since yesterday (I'm at an Internet café).

I played 140-150 (press end turn) and here it is in unhippieish fashion (but with no Autolog hope thats hippie enough):

T140: Changed Matrix and Hamsterdam to Settlers.

T141: A barb galley from the fog ate our workboat (the problem with sending a WB half way across a continent)
    Heal our explorer warrior (he was back online at 146)
    Move our explorer chariot around.
    OB with Qin. (good call as at turnset end we are getting 14 gold in traderoutes)
    Tripple whip settler in Hamsterdam.

T142: Hamsterdam builds the settler>research.

T143 Neilopolis Library>Barracks.

T144: Gandhi asks:

I say NO we don't want Ragnar angry yet.
    Double whip the settler out of Matrix.

T145:Matrix Settler>Research>Galley (barb galley is slowly coming our way).
    Cancel OB with Gandhi (I got two hindu spreads IT and don't want mre until we get the Buddha)

T146: Gandhi makes us an offer we can refuse Masonry for Writing (if we're attacking I'm making no trades we don't need).

T147: Iron is hooked up.
    Hendrixton is founded (we need some music with the smokes)
    Hamsterdam Research>Worker (didn't whip because of anger).
    Qin seems to be Rexing he's on 7 cities and here's:

T148: Start on a road to Shaka, why? Because I was high (sorry for that weed)

T149: We can now judge what is art:

Frankly looking at the pics when high is still better:goodjob:
    Myst is picked (if we are going for GLib we need poly and no decent trades for a backward tech).

T150: Forgot my plan to put spies on Gandhi all turnset, did that now.
    Did a few worker actions and exploring.
    Checked the trade screen, we have surplus Clam and Horsies but no one biting.
    Alex went WHEOOHRN last turn, don't know who, but probably not us.

Overview

Ragnar is cramped between Qin and Shaka (hopefully leading to messy wars), and Alex is cramped by barbs (whyoh why is h WHEOOHRN with so many barb cities on his doorstep).Gandhi is cramped by us, Shaka and desert.

The buddy system is still a love fest with us on the sidelines and Gandhi a pariah, but Alex could put a spanner in the works there (Qin or Ragnar his most likely targets). By the way I never took Ragnar for a peacenik (Buddha found him).

Our potential military power and the situation as regards threat of attack. I saw only archers and one axe in my travels through China.

Our current trading system, I closed borders against Gandhi as he's spreading hindu like mad and the rest of them are just sitting there. Once again, we need BUDDHA!

There are quite a few whip opportunities in the empre if you want to pull them.
    I have queued Poly and Literature (sorry about that bad habit).

Future plans?
    well I settled S an N of Hamsterdam so NW is still open (forgot that one). We can whip another settler to fill i there out of Hamsterdam in 4 turns (2 t worker build 1t of settler triple whip move). With Alex in WHEOOHRN we could start on a precautionary military.

I may be out of comission for a small while (due to internet down). So think of me as being on Auto-skip until you hear otherwise.

Attached Files:

5. neilmeister

Hey good settling Brian, and good report too, form an internet cafe and all. Puts my poor effort to shame...

Alex looks cranky at someone, if its us he's going to spend 20 turns moving troops to our territory :)

I hope your internet problem is solveable/temporary.

6. ForGreatJustice

Not necessarily, there is a spot NW of the Matrix that the coast of our area hits the coasts of Alex's side of the continent. So instead of 20 turns to march, he could conceivably make a galley drop within 5 turns.

Good job brian. Nice timing on your settler whipping. We're now at 7 cities, so if we can at least get the immediate NW we'll be in good shape. 7 cities by 350BC, now that's more like it :goodjob:

BTW, why was that workboat making a contiki-esque voyage?

7. MatrixTheKitty

MatrixTheKitty Skitty

The lack of communication was the problem. It finished building on my first turn and I had no idea WTF it was for, so I just assumed that it was going to go to Neiliopolis to get those clams. Then I had the problems with that diagonal spot...

8. neilmeister

Sorry, my bad.

9. Brian Shanahan

Brian Shanahan Permanoob

I'm slightly back, will be fully back by Tuesday (Wednesday at the latest). I'm piggybacking of aneighbours signal with a friend's laptop. So I'll be back soon. I'm glad ye like my set.

On Alex, frankly I reckon he's hands full now because he's out of decent non-barb land, so he's looking to bully some. If so I think we're fairly safe.

10. neilmeister

I think I would change the 2 cities producing research to workers. You can never have enough, especially with all that jungle.

We have lots of axe's, so maybe a few archers and a spearman for city defence. Send all extra units to Idiotsville, as this is where any attack will be made (against us or by us). Oh, can we make war elephants?, a couple of them are always good. Strength 8 units. :)

11. ForGreatJustice

That's correct neil. So are we truly set on gearing for war? If so when I get back, I'll be ready.

12. ForGreatJustice

Okay I'm back, just to let you know :D

13. MatrixTheKitty

MatrixTheKitty Skitty

And I've been here the whole time.

Watching...

Waiting...

14. ForGreatJustice

Wait, really out of it right now, who's next?

Edit: Um... if I'm right in reading 6 pages worth of postings, I think I'm up next followed by IO, correct? If so I got the save and I'm going to examine it tonight and post my thoughts. I won't play the save tonight however so it'll give us a chance to discuss the hell out of the next 10 turns.

15. ForGreatJustice

Thoughts:
    1) We have 7 workers for only 7 cities. I think we need to hit at least 10 by the end of my set. Switch research for worker builds like neil suggested.
    2) Also think making a settler for the NW spot for the cow/spice is a good idea. Have that settler almost complete by the end of the set.
    3) I've noticed hinduism has spread to us at Idiotsburg, Hamsterdam, and Neiliopolis but not buddhism :(

Questions:
    a) Have we decided upon our 3 leg. cities or are they up in the air? Remember we need lots of cottages to make it effective.
    b) Which city is going to be our gpfarm? Our cap is the only city that can have 3 food resources.
    c) Are we planning for wonders or for war? I don't see both possible at the same time. War would be a long ways in the future. Also not having marble so far really hurts the wonder aspect. And whichever path we take will determine our tech tree quite a bit.
    d) What's the galley being built in the Matrix for?

16. MatrixTheKitty

MatrixTheKitty Skitty

Yep. The reccomended number of workers is 1.5/city. We have 7 cities. 7x1.5=10.5, and we can't very well have half a worker, So Yeah.

And make two more workers (the remaining .5 plus a new 1.5 is 2, of course) after settling that city to keep up with the daily reccomended 1.5 grams workers per day city

17. MatrixTheKitty

MatrixTheKitty Skitty

Posting a roster for everyone's convenience:

Brian - just went, on auto-skip until further notice
    FGJ - up
    IO - on deck
    neil
    Matrix

18. neilmeister

Count me in for more workers and another settler.

@ GP farm - Unfortunately we don't have a really obvious spot, though I would suggest The Matrix will probably be best, which also has 3 food resources, 2 coastal fishes, with grassland horses is as good as we are going to get.

@ 3 Leg Cities
    - I'm thinking Hamsterdam is obvious, as it has enough production to pump a few wonders.
    - Next either Hendrixtown OR the new NW city, OR maybe even a new city next to Vijayangara (which would have to be razed :))

@ what to do next. It would be my preference to go wonder spamming first, then conquer Gandhi/Shaka between 500-1000AD when our economy can afford it, but I could be convinced otherwise.

19. ForGreatJustice

Again matrix thanks for posting the lineup again. Maybe you found a new calling? :lol:

I forgot Matrix does have 2 seafood, gpfarm it is.

Also since we do have a monopoly on Aesth, maybe we should be making the Parthenon then somewhere? Even without marble, our monopoly should give us a good headstart into making it, and if not, we could use the fail gold. Sucks that we don't have that many forests left...

I'll of course wait til tomorrow after work to play this one, and let IO and brian get their 2cents in.

20. Brian Shanahan

Brian Shanahan Permanoob

Well one of the reasons why I'm in favour of war with Gandhi is that he's got 2 holy cities, Hindu and Jewish IIRC, so a nice profitable war is in order there (despite it being against hippie law to work for a profit, but then we're Dutch so money>weed). A wonder spam would give Gandhi enough time to get both shrines up for us, as it will be a pain in the big fat hairy white one to get a few prophets out on our setup. But that being said I would build a few units on the off chance of a Ragnar\Shaka DoW, so we can sneak capture the cities.