1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

IO4 - Sex, Drugs, and More Drugs!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by IdiotsOpposite, Apr 21, 2010.

1. neilmeister

neilmeister Lentils have feelings too GOTM Staff

We now have loads of axes & chariots, (due to my advice).

We need to either disband some, OR lose them in an attack....

So, I'm thinking we should trade with Gandhi for techs, then attack him with everything we have. Pillaging his cottages could give us some much needed cash.

2. Brian Shanahan

Brian Shanahan Permanoob

"Wait a minute, wait a minute. Pass the dutchie" *lights match, tokes* "Don't forget to bring a towel, you wanna get high. I'm so high I've no idea wats goin on right now"

Whoah man, that Alex is a right nark man! Harshing our buzz like that, chill dude, peace out :smoke:.

So I think the plan is to research currency, and move in on Gandhi (who has renounced hid hippie heritage by calling himself king).
    I will look at the save and report with a plan.

Oh yeah, good job Matrix and a brilliant report.

Edit:
    I looked at the save, and did a bit of financial Micro on Hendrixton and <other southern city> to get us from -2 to +2, so war can wait a small while.
    I also looked at a war plan. I propose skipping Vara, razing Vijay, taking Delhi and Bombay and dunno on Palita, like so:

Final edit
    Both shrines are up, and with a 4 man Hindu block Delhi alone will keep our economy afloat (prime target).

3. MatrixTheKitty

MatrixTheKitty Skitty

Mmm, this looks like a solid plan to me.

Of course, we have to get out of war with Alex first, we wouldn't want him going SURPRIEZ BUTSECKS in the middle of our campaign against Gandhi! :lol:

4. Brian Shanahan

Brian Shanahan Permanoob

Master, I have a cunning plan.

Spoiler :
    Has no relevance to my plan, which is basically to wait out Alex while getting people on farms.

5. Brian Shanahan

Brian Shanahan Permanoob

Oh yeah, in case I wasn't clear earlier above is a got it. Seeing as I haven't got much confirmation I'll hold to tomorrow on the save.

6. neilmeister

Sorry, love the plan. We need to burn some units and get some cash.
    I wouldn't wait. Do the tech deal I mentioned earlier, then invade Gandhi.

BTW, Gandhi has 2 archers stuck in the Peninsula, so be careful of them.

7. Brian Shanahan

Brian Shanahan Permanoob

What about the SURPRIEZ BUTSECHS from Alex as Matrix said. I don't want to suffer from Montezuma's Revenge.
    Please note, some minor MM has stabilised cash for the moment, and I'm guessing we'll get cash for peace after wasting Alex's stack.
    Also is Palati... worth keeping, I'm not sure, personally though I'd raze and if there's sea resourche refound on the coast if possible.

8. neilmeister

Its good that our cash is stabilised, but we are at 0% research, so we are kind of stuck. IMO the best way out is to get some cash from Gandhi so we can quickly research Calender.

I feel like a broken record saying that, but it will allow all of our cities to get 2 bigger, which will give us:
    - more free unit support (more cash)
    - work 2 cottages per city (lots more cash)
    - the ability to trade sugar for something else, hopefully a happy resource, which means 1 more cottage per city.

Palat looks worthless, I think he only founded it for Stone... so raze away.

9. Brian Shanahan

Brian Shanahan Permanoob

10. ForGreatJustice

ForGreatJustice Master of the Grump

Alright sorry for the hiatus guys. Back in business. I see lots have happened.

First off good job Matrix for the defense of Idiotsburgh.

Second I agree with the war plan if we intend to take out Gandhi now. Can't see the save so would someone kindly give me a unit breakdown of our forces?

In that regard, the number of troops will dictate our push. We could go for Dehli and nab our Hindu shrine (and stonehenge as well) or we could take out the two Indian border cities for gold. Again based on number of troops. If we haven't already, we need to MM most towns on cottages.

Finally the last thing we need is Shaka getting bribed against us, either by Alex or Gandhi. Anyway we can bribe him we should pursue it.

11. Brian Shanahan

Brian Shanahan Permanoob

Well here is our situation vis-a-vis units, well down below in the attachment. We've a 1.3>1 on Gandhi. It will take a turn or two more to focus our forces, and then we can declare.
    If we (probably I) manage to win at Delhi without too many losses then we can take Bombay, otherwise we take peas for gold. I will also keep hectoring Alex as well.
    I will look at bribing Shaka against Alex too, will almost be as good as a peas declaration. Shaka is still WE of Gandhi, and Shaka is at WHEOOHRN, so if he declares against Gandhi, I wait one turn then pile in (we'll have a nice little mosh going on then).

Edit: does anyone know what Shaka's DoW limit on relations is. We're +6 with him now.

Attached Files:

12. neilmeister

I would expect to be able to take Delhi with 6 Axes, and a few Chariots, but I doubt we will be able to take more than 1-2 cities with our current units. So, march on Gandhi and find out what units he has. If Vijay is well defended, just march right past it, using chariots to pillage cottages, on the way to Delhi.

I had a look at bribing Shaka, but he wouldn't have it.

13. Brian Shanahan

Brian Shanahan Permanoob

Yay! I has played!

Autolog from turn 186:
    Spoiler :

Logging by BUG Mod 4.3 [Build 2139] (BtS 3.13-3.19)
    ------------------------------------------------
    Turn 186/750 (190 AD) [19-May-2010 15:12:04]

After End Turn:

Other Player Actions:

After End Turn:

Other Player Actions:

After End Turn:

Other Player Actions:

After End Turn:

Other Player Actions:

After End Turn:

Other Player Actions:

After End Turn:

Other Player Actions:
    While attacking, Axeman 12 (The Matrix) (Axeman) decimates Indian Archer (Prob Victory: 94.8%)
    While attacking in Dutch territory at Stoner's Lagoon, Axeman 12 (The Matrix) (2.00/5) defeats Indian Archer (Prob Victory: 94.8%)
    0% Research: 0 per turn
    0% Espionage: 4 per turn
    100% Gold: 0 per turn, 122 in the bank

After End Turn:
    The whip was applied in Hamsterdam
    Whip anger has decreased in Neiliopolis
    Justiciaria grows to size 7

Other Player Actions:
    State Religion Change: Alexander (Greece) from 'no State Religion' to 'Hinduism'
    Attitude Change: Gandhi (India) towards Hippie Willem (Netherlands), from 'Pleased' to 'Annoyed'
    Attitude Change: Gandhi (India) towards Alexander (Greece), from 'Annoyed' to 'Cautious'
    Attitude Change: Tokugawa (Japan) towards Shaka (Zululand), from 'Pleased' to 'Friendly'
    Attitude Change: Shaka (Zululand) towards Gandhi (India), from 'Annoyed' to 'Cautious'
    Attitude Change: Shaka (Zululand) towards Tokugawa (Japan), from 'Pleased' to 'Friendly'
    Attitude Change: Alexander (Greece) towards Hippie Willem (Netherlands), from 'Annoyed' to 'Cautious'
    Attitude Change: Alexander (Greece) towards Shaka (Zululand), from 'Pleased' to 'Friendly'
    Civics Change: Hippie Willem(Netherlands) from 'Paganism' to 'Organized Religion'
    Civics Change: Alexander(Greece) from 'Despotism' to 'Hereditary Rule'
    Civics Change: Ragnar(Vikings) from 'Paganism' to 'Pacifism'

Turn 187/750 (205 AD) [19-May-2010 15:13:58]
    Axeman 8 (Neiliopolis) (Axeman) promoted: Combat I
    Axeman 11 (Idiotsburgh) (Axeman) promoted: City Raider II
    While attacking, Axeman 10 (Squaresville) (Axeman) escapes from Indian Swordsman (Prob Victory: 75.1%)
    While attacking in Indian territory near Delhi, Axeman 10 (Squaresville) loses to Indian Swordsman (2.04/6) (Prob Victory: 75.1%)
    Francisco Pizarro (Great General) born in Justiciaria
    While attacking, Axeman 3 (Idiotsburgh) (Axeman) decimates Indian Swordsman (Prob Victory: 100.0%)
    While attacking in Indian territory near Delhi, Axeman 3 (Idiotsburgh) (5.00/5) defeats Indian Swordsman (Prob Victory: 100.0%)
    10% Research: 10 per turn
    90% Gold: -15 per turn, 122 in the bank

After End Turn:
    A Village was built near Justiciaria
    Squaresville finishes: Granary

Other Player Actions:
    While defending in Dutch territory near Idiotsburgh, Axeman 7 (Justiciaria) (1.60/5) defeats Indian Axeman (Prob Victory: 79.1%)
    While defending in Dutch territory at Idiotsburgh, Axeman 7 (Justiciaria) loses to Indian Archer (2.28/3) (Prob Victory: 3.0%)

Turn 188/750 (220 AD) [19-May-2010 15:17:45]
    Squaresville begins: Hindu Monastery (9 turns)
    Hamsterdam begins: Archer (4 turns)
    While attacking, Axeman 1 (Hamsterdam) (Axeman) decimates Indian Archer (Prob Victory: 84.0%)
    While attacking in Dutch territory at Idiotsburgh, Axeman 1 (Hamsterdam) (3.20/5) defeats Indian Archer (Prob Victory: 84.0%)
    10% Research: 10 per turn
    90% Gold: -9 per turn, 117 in the bank

After End Turn:
    The whip was applied in Idiotsburgh
    Idiotsburgh finishes: The Parthenon
    Hendrixton's borders expand

Other Player Actions:
    Attitude Change: Gandhi (India) towards Alexander (Greece), from 'Cautious' to 'Annoyed'
    Attitude Change: Alexander (Greece) towards Shaka (Zululand), from 'Friendly' to 'Pleased'

Turn 189/750 (235 AD) [19-May-2010 15:23:11]
    Idiotsburgh begins: Hindu Temple (10 turns)
    10% Research: 11 per turn
    90% Gold: -6 per turn, 108 in the bank

After End Turn:
    The whip was applied in Hamsterdam
    Hamsterdam finishes: Archer
    Justiciaria grows to size 8
    Squaresville grows to size 5

Right we have had a few changes, and done a few new things, so without further ado I submit the report.

Turn 180:
    Dude, no! Where's our shiny gold, must get some (trans we MMed to get to +8 gold at 0%)
    I 2 whip Hamsterdam's temple (almost full overflow)

Turn 181:
    Man we can write literature, now I shall go and write a long and strange book about the life of a Dubliner, full of new words and such.
    I pick currency:
    Spoiler :

If we're lucky we'll get it befor the game end, and only now realise Neil was banging on about Calendar (I plead 5 hrs sleep)

Do the following to Gandhi:
    Spoiler :

Revolt to OR for 1t anarchy.

Turn 182:
    I open borders with Gandhi for the int.
    I pull this deal with Qin:
    Spoiler :

Health for health, helps relations long term.

No SUPRIEZ BUTSCKS for Alex:
    Spoiler :

No need for them condoms Matrix

T183:
    Find 2 archers in Vijay and 1 sword outside it.

T184:
    The Marix builds Axe>GLight (simply for fail, too late to build no other good option).
    Delhi has Sword, Axe, Spear, Archer.
    Willem: Alex your time is up, prepare for revenge for your backstab.
    Gandhi: Ok, Willem. Wait wha? I'm not Alex you stoned idiot, I'm Gandhi.
    Willem: I'm so high, don't forget to bring a towel (last towelie reference)
    Spoiler :

Our elite hashishim, are at the border singing and dancing to their war song.
    We capture 2 workers, kill a missionary and plunder a cottage, then we fall over.

IT I smoke too much hash and lose a worker at Stoners Lagoon to a marauder archer

T 185:
    Alex wants:
    Spoiler :

I say "Harsh, dude" and send him on his way (thats a no)

T186:
    The battle of Vijay, good win here see the turn log, exceopt the sword.
    Archer ariund Stoners Lagoon is beaten on the cow by an Axe.
    Power goes from 1.2>1.5

T187:
    On 74% odds I lose a second Axe/Sword battle (city good, field bad :mad:)
    But to compensate we get The Dude Lobowski:
    Spoiler :

He are currently in Hamsterdam.

T188
    Quad whip Parthenon in Idiotsburg (deep unhappy, and need the wonder for victory).
    See Delhi garrison. I think I'll let Christopher Walken describe it.
    I do this to Shaka:
    Spoiler :
    Error picture not taken redo from start error.
    I begged 10 gold off him for the peace dividend. He's in WHEOOHRN, and thus unbribeable.

I change Hamsterdam to Archer (unhappy, and whip).

T189
    I whip the archer in Hamsterdam>GLib
    Re-position troops outside Delhi 7v6 on a hill= no Dutch army.

T190
    Delhi is down to 5 but the odds are useless. If I had 3 more axes I would have let the cack hit the fan and did a meat grinder but the odds are way too low and with Archer, Sword, Sword, Spear, Spear we've no chance.

Save attached, some state of play screens and thoughts to follow:

Attached Files:

14. Brian Shanahan

Brian Shanahan Permanoob

Comment and Debate

Well the war has been fun mostly, but it's decision time. We've an army in front of Delhi, which can't win atm:

See above for the reason.
    But I've also assembled a raiding party for Varanasi:

This can win (but no guarantees).
    Personally I'd head to Vara and keep the army in Delhi (if luck he'll weaken the garrison in attacking us or moving, it was stronger on turn 188). I'd raze Vara if possible and get tech for peace (Gandhi will sign an even peace now).
    We've 2 turns of peace with Alex and 8 with Shaka, so we've a windo but not a big opne.

On external affairs we've got:

If Shaka's gunning for us bad, if not good.

Our land looks like:

and

The last pic is why I've an archer in Neilopolis, whip and we're probably safe.

I have research at 100% this is unsustainable, I was just checking times. Reduce now.

My thougts:
    Sorry about research path, but currency is still good, and if we can tech it fast it will be trade bait. No good trades available but keep checking, Shaka has no gold for trade.
    On war I think take and raze Vara if we can then get tech for peace. If Shaka declares Gandhi then we go for Delhi.
    We need the GLib, and we need gold (so currency isn't too bad).

15. neilmeister

Good attack Brian, and great whip for the Parthenon.

If we send the Varanasi force to Delhi, with maybe The Dude, we should take Delhi. Be careful to only share the GG experience with Axe's, and give them all CR.

Don't worry about the tech path, I put my case as strongly as I could, but it was your turn. I notice that a few AI have Calender & Construction, and they all want Lit. Whoever is next just keep an eye on the available tech trades.

I'm thinking we should found a new city on the white dot next to where Vijay was, all those cottages already developed... Hmmmm, insta good city. Either that or pillage them all.

Shaka is happy with us, so I think we will be OK.

16. Brian Shanahan

Brian Shanahan Permanoob

Two reasons why I went Currency, 1) It's usually what I do teching out of a money hole, 2) in my tiredness I confused the two.

On the Varanasi force, completely forgot that. They're a mixture of builds and a diverted anti-marauder force if anyone is curious.

On the city I was afraid to found (or build a settler) with my current situation, but yes I would slightly prefer to found rather than pillage (mature cottages should help city pay for itself).

Were allright with Shaka for eight turns because of my abject begging (why does a beg give peace but not a gift, I don't know). But still he's a "declares at pleased" leader, so begging was my best option, as soon as he got some money.

17. neilmeister

Currency could work out better anyway, it is quite a strong trading tech.

Once we have Delhi, Currency & Calender, we should find the money situation improving, but we must allow our cities to get as big as possible.

@ cottages, its a tough one, as we might not be able to afford a city just yet or in the near future. It might be best to pillage the cottages, and then rebuild them later if/when we found a city.

18. Brian Shanahan

Brian Shanahan Permanoob

Unless we see Shaka moving with a settler into the area, I would leave the cottages alone until after the war (I pillaged 2 on the way to Delhi).

At the moment settling on the FP 1N of our dot gives us 26g from a six pop city. I'm not good on maintenance but looking at Hendrixton and Justiciara, I reckon we'll be paying 5g maintenance plus inflation plus the additions to civics maintenance.

19. neilmeister

Whoa, totally confused the SG's i have going......

@ Brian
    OK, lets settle....

20. ForGreatJustice

ForGreatJustice Master of the Grump

Sorry guys but you might have to put me on autoskip til as late as the end of June. It's the end of the school year and lots of projects and portfolio panels I'll be on until the end of June. Plus I have to write up my summer school curriculum. I'll try to follow still when I can, but even that's harder now since I hardly have preps from now on. Again sorry...