1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

IOT Trade Wars Setup

Discussion in 'Imperium OffTopicum' started by Duke Blackstone, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Duke Blackstone

Duke Blackstone John Marchman

I need ideas for recourses for this map. Please post ideas, and what you believe their effects should be.

In game there will be:
    Settlements
    Roads (Think Settlers of Catan)
    Enhanced Trade Routes
    Multiple flavors of armies and navies
    A posted Tech tree
    Combat will include some amount of chance (likely a die roll+modifier)

I am not sure wether to include (please vote):

Religion
    Stability
    Morale or other type of Happiness
    Different types of Land
    Civics
    Advanced Start (I give you a set amount of each resource and some money, then you buy tech, settlements, roads, armies, and fortresses to your hearts content.
    Health for Units(Possibly health that is replenished every turn).

Expected Start Date: Jan 6th

2. Duke Blackstone

So no one is even remotely interested? Nice.

3. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

I would join. I just don't know what sort of resources you're looking for.

And I sorta think the map is small. :)

4. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Justice guaranteed

Another one? I... well, I'd like contribute ideas but first what's the goal of this game? Is it primarily a mapping exercise? Is the focus on conquest? Or trade? Or technological advancement? What's the role of the player? Is there a "currency" (eg gold, points, etc)? Resources? How complex do you want this to be? What's the setting (eg medieval, modern, futuristic, fantasy, etc)? What's the terrain or climate of this particular region?

5. Duke Blackstone

Ah, sorry, I will explain. Give me an hour or so to create examples, and write everything out.

6. MaxaTheGreat

MaxaTheGreat Feel Prussian Iron!

This.

7. Duke Blackstone

Objective:
    You lead a tribe/nation in the classical era, and there will be several ways to win, including but not limited to Domination and U.N. style victories. I have not decided on the requirements for each.

My origional idea for this game came out of Settlers of Catan, although this game will be much more reliant on diplomacy and trade.

At the start, you will have a large amount of each resource and gold, with witch you can create settlements, roads, armies, navies, fortresses, and invest in Technology.

Every settlement produces 2 gold per turn, and each hex a settlement is touching produces 1 recource per turn. If two settlements are touching the same hex, that hex produces 2 recources per turn. In the example, I have an income of 4 gold, 2 wheat, and 2 lumber.

Settlements must be at least (2 or possibly 3, it will depend on how much interest there is in this game) sides of the hex apart from each other, and to create a settlement you must have a trade route between the site of your intended settlement, and the settlement you already have.

Trade Routes are Roads or Water routes. Roads will cost a set amount of resources to built and upkeep, and are built on the long edges of a hex, as shown.

Water routes do not require roads, but do require 2 two cities on the coast, and an enemy navy or an NPC pirate that occupies the water hex can blockade, or shut down, all water trade routes touching that hex.

Recources I would need:
    Wheat or other food types (each settlement would consume 1 per turn, and additional types would increase stability.
    At least 3 types of construction materials (Stone, Wood, possibly Brick)

Happiness or income producing recourses like gold

Military recourses like Bronze, Iron, Wood, Horses... What would you need in the classical age?

8. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

I will DEFINITELY play, though for your sanity I recommend against too much complexity.

Therefore, my votes are as follows:

Absolutely. The question is how much difference it should make, which can range from RP only to huge differences. I'd give different religions casus beli against each other, but that's it IMO.

Yes, but in a simple way.

I wouldn't for individual units unless the numbers on the board are REALLY low, but happiness for your total population could be good.
    If you can handle it.

No, because a game that complex can't really be practically GMed.

Yes.

I'd go with no, but I'd make units that lose escape 50% of the time, captured 30% of the time (Which means they are unusable until your opponent decides to give them back in a prisoner exchange or at peacetime), and only 20% chance of actually losing the unit.

9. Duke Blackstone

Heres more that I wrote out. Not formated or anything, and certainly not complete, but iv been sick all day so I am going to bed.

Graphic

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Welcome to my first Imperium Offtopicum. In the grand IOT tradition, this is a game focused on diplomacy. However, it is now aimed in a different direction.

As the name implies, in this game your economy will be based almost entirely on trade, forcing even the most seclusive nations onto the world stage.

The Rules

The 3 House Rules
    Thou Shall not Flame, Troll, or Personally Insult any other player OOC.

Thou will STAY ON TOPIC.

Make sure all comments are relevant to the fictional world of the current IOT, known as In Character or IC.

Thy GM is supreme.

I reserve the right to change game rules, ignore or modify orders, impose restrictions on players, disband player nations, and so on. AT MY PLEASURE, although I will try to give a reason, if only that I am bored. Feel free to give me advice on how the game should be run, but I do not promise I will take it. Remember, this is my first time so be gentle!

-----

The Basics

Idea, Map, and Economy

The original idea for this game came from Settlers of Catan (link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Settlers_of_Catan).

Unlike the typical map of provinces seen in other IOT’s, this game is based around a board of hexagons, each representing a harvestable resource. The game takes place on the edges of each Hex. Settlements may be founded on the corners where hexes connect, and roads may be placed on the edges of each hex. This is shown in the example.

EXAMPLE PIC

The icons in the center of the Hexes are resources. There are three main "flavors" of resources (Food, Construction, and Bonus), and within them each type of resource is useful in a different way. Resources are required for everything done in the game.

The small red squares are settlements. Settlements generate 1 of every resource that they touch EVERY turn, plus 2 gold. However, they consume 1 food resource per turn. Settlements MUST be placed at least 3 lengths away from other settlements, as shown.

The large red diamond is a city. Cites produce double what a settlement does, generating 2 resources for every hex they touch, and 4 gold. The city shown is producing 2 cows, 2 wheat, and 2 lumbar in addition to the 4 gold.

The red circle is a fortress. It can be placed in any intersection not occupied by a settlement or a city (provided you have the Tech required). The 3 length away rule does not apply for fortresses, but they do have to be connected to your trade routes.

The thick Red lines are roads, there will be more detail about them later, but to found a settlement it MUST be connected to another settlement by some sort of trade route. Roads also affect how quickly your units can move.

The pink dotted lines are sea trade routes. They will not be shown in game, but I marked them in the example so you would be able to see how they are connected. Sea routes CAN and WILL BE blockaded. Example:

EXAMPLE

What a writeup might look like: The Blueman Empire galley has blockaded the Redmen trade routes, and thus Redmen’s city is cut off. Luckily, the Redmen city has access to wheat, a food resource, so they wont starve. The lack of trade has hurt business in the city, (2-2=0 Gold per turn.)

Starting Off

On turn zero, you will receive 30 units of gold, 3 free settlements, and 9 free roads to use as you wish. You can invest in the tech tree, or save your gold to help purchase armies when you receive your resources. Your cities must be placed at least 3 lengths apart, and linked by road or water route(requires sailing to be purchased on the tech tree).

Updates

There will be a set time each week, either Friday or Sunday Night, where I will give a deadline for orders to be in by. Then I will take to time to update. This is how the process will work:

IMPORTANT.

First are the battles and Troop Movements. If a nation that you do not have open boarders with parks his spearman where you want to build that city, the city WILL NOT BE BUILT. (Note: Battles use the Stability and Resource Bonus of last turn)

If two units of different nationality are ordered to the same point, they will fight if you do not tell me otherwise, EVEN if the nations are at peace.

If you must cross the position of a friendly unit for some reason, its fine as long as you have a right of passage agreement with that units owner. If you do not, I will assume that your troop movement was very important and the units will fight.

Second I will calculate trade routes, making sure that each settlement, city or fortress is connected. I will also double check your routes to other nations, making sure that your trades are still possible.

Third, resources are harvested and trades are officially conducted, and maintenance is subtracted from your stores.

Fourth, Tech is purchased, and stability for the next turn calculated.

Fifth, roads, settlements, cities, fortresses, armies, and navies are all constructed.

Game Concepts:

Stability

Stability is important in two ways.
    -First is the stability level. When stability is above or equal to zero you are Stable. There are no -'s. However, if you become unstable, I roll a 10 sided die. If my roll is higher than the absolute value of your stability rating, nothing happens. If the roll is lower, for every point less, 1 city goes into revolt and produces nothing for that turn.
    -Second, for every 2 points of stability, your units gain +1 to both attack and defense.

You start with +7 stability on the first turn. Stability can be increased by obtaining certain resources and Technology.

Warfare:

Wars are unit based. There are 8 types of units available. Each unit has an attack, defense, and move speed (think Civ III, if you have played it). Military orders will be conducted in the order that I receive them.

In a battle between a unit, the formula will look like this:

(Attack Strength of unit 1)+(Roll of a 6 Sided Die)+(Modifier)-[(Defensive strength of Unit 2)+(Roll of a 6 Sided Die)+(Modifier)]
    There are three possible outcomes:

-If the Defender is stronger than the attacker, the equation would come out negative, and the attacker would be destroyed.

-If the equation =0, the attacker is destroyed and the defender is reduced to half health(if attacked a 3 sided die will be rolled instead of a 6 sided die). It will heal at the end of the update.

-If the equation equals a positive number the defender is destroyed and his position is replaced by the attacker.

The Modifiers: Stability, Defenses, Sea Attacks, Resource Bonuses

10. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

Looks good. Works well with the map for sure.

Where did you get the map by the way. I like it.

11. Duke Blackstone

Searched for hex grid on google, and then adjusted it until I got what I wanted. I can make you one if you would like.