1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

IOTerra (world building game)

Discussion in 'Imperium OffTopicum' started by Daftpanzer, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Daftpanzer

Daftpanzer There may be more posts after this.

Now Updated to Era 1!
    We are now on Discord at #ioterra

Greetings
    . You may remember me from my Space Empires game (which is in hiatus, to be revived at some point), or going even further back, a few of you may remember me from the NES forum. I have taken the notion to run a little world-building game using pixel-art I have developed over the years, and wonder if you’d like to take part...

From a primordial, ocean world, continents and life forms will emerge; perhaps even civilizations. But for now, it is simply a blank canvas to be sculpted by forces of creation...

YOU are an immortal trans-dimensional entity with power over space and time. In joining this world, you will have an avatar of some kind - any kind of animal, historical or imagined (including humans), or some kind of metallic / crystalline golem, or even some kind of plant. Your avatar will be mobile, be able to cast special abilities that affect the world, but also be vulnerable to damage and death. Your avatar can spawn anywhere on the map - islands and shallow seas will be created wherever you spawn.

Your avatar will have certain traits depending on the form you choose - EG flying forms will be fast and able to cross oceans, but be more fragile; sea creatures will be strong in water but will rapidly dry out on land; land animals will be weak in water. Golems will be hardier, but slower and less successful in evolving life forms. Plant forms will be very slow, but most successful at evolving life. However, your avatar can gain extra experience and specialities depending on the actions you take in game over time.

If your avatar is killed, you can respawn in a different form, with the loss of any experience and bonuses you may have picked up; any monsters you have created (see below) will also become ‘neutral’.

By default, you have two (2) actions per turn. You can:

Raise land
    Affects the immediate vicinity. Sea hexes becomes islands, islands become land hexes, land hexes become raised plateaus. High land will have an effect on the climate, concentrating rainfall on the slopes and having a cooling effect overall.

Lower land
    The opposite effect; land will sink in stages. Shallow sea can also be deepened into abyssal depths.

Drift Continent
    Sets the local continental plate in motion in the desired direction. Where continents clash, islands will rise out of the sea, and mountain ranges and plateaus will rise on land. Where land drifts apart, lakes and seas will appear.

Beware that continental plates have ‘inertia’ from each action spent on moving them, until they collide with something.

Evolve
    We begin with Cambrian-Ordovician era life. Life will slowly evolve over time, heading towards some kind of intelligent species (most likely human, given no intervention), but you can accelerate the process or give a bias to a certain type of life form.

In this action you can evolve local land, sea or plant life (but not all with the same action). You can also target a specific life form nearby that you’d like to evolve, if you wish.

Monsterify!
    A local life form will not evolve, but will become huge and powerful, and will act as your minion until it is destroyed. These monsters can attack other avatars, and other life forms, and can defend your avatar, or simply be told to guard an area. They cannot use any other special abilities. Monsters also need to eat, and may starve to death if suitable prey / plants / soil cannot be found.

Plants and sessile creatures are not exempt - they can also be monsterified, but they will be very slow-moving.

Meteor Impact
    Target anywhere on the map, with greater impact the closer it is to your avatar. The strongest meteors will be devastating to the land and will form huge craters, not to mention altering the global climate, but they will also deposit lots of rare metals, which may be used by any civilizations that emerge...

Volcanic Upwelling
    Target anywhere on the map, with greater impact the closer it is to your avatar. Volcanoes will erupt, devastating the land and potentially changing the global climate, but they will also deposit minerals that will leave the land (or ocean) more fertile...

Move your avatar
    Move to another location on the map, provided there is a continuous path; beware your avatar can drown in the ocean if it is not a sea-going creature, and can similarly dry out on land if it is not a land animal. Flying creatures face no obstacles but may need to rest on dry land.

Fight
    Attack another avatar. It must be in close proximity (within 3 hexes). Attackers generally have the advantage in a fight, unless the defender is on high ground or other advantageous terrain (EG, a sea creature in water will have an advantage over a land creature).

Strengthen
    Raise the ‘hit points’ of your avatar by +1, which will also regenerate over time if injured. Avatars have 2 hit points by default.

Shield
    Protect the immediate vicinity from any harmful effects, such as meteors and volcanoes. This action also adds to your defence if attacked by another avatar or monster.

Build Shrine
    Build a monolithic shrine at your current location, which serves to store and transmit your energy. Shrines have two hitpoints by default.

A shrine has several effects:
    • allows you to cast actions in the vicinity as if your avatar were here personally.
    • allows you to ‘bank’ action points in the form of energy spheres (which can be stolen by other players attacking the shrine).
    • offers accelerated healing while your avatar is present.
    • you can always teleport to any of your shrines (by spending a move action) regardless of obstacles.
    • will be a source of wonder to any intelligent life that comes across them.

NOTE: where multiple action points are spent on the same action, it will multiply the effects accordingly.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  2. Daftpanzer

Archive Links:
    Pre-game map
    Era 1

Stats:
    'TODO' - you all have 2 actions for now

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  3. Daftpanzer

Daftpanzer's Signup (use this as an example)

Start Position: Central (I will accept any combination of left/right/top/bottom, X/Y coordinates from 18x16, or compass points)
    Colour: Deep Purple
    Starting Orders: (you get two)
    1 - raise land
    2 - evolve land plants

POSTING IS NOW ALLOWED

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  4. thomas.berubeg

thomas.berubeg Wandering the World

Start Position: Middle east. so, like, halfway from the edge from Daftpanzer.
    Colour: Grey
    Starting Orders
    1 - Raise Land
    2 - Raise Land

(Also, YAY! A DAFTNES! :D :D :D )

5. J.K. Stockholme

J.K. Stockholme Right Opposition

Start Position: 5, 12
    Colour: Olive Green
    Starting Orders:
    1 - raise land
    2 - volcanic, 1 hex east of my avatar

6. gay_Aleks

gay_Aleks communism will win.

Start Position: Central, NW of where Daftpanzer is
    Colour: Deep Purple Blue.
    1 - Evolve land plants
    2 - Raise Land

7. Civ'ed

Civ'ed I ain't gotta explain a thing

Start Position: 8, 3
    Colour: Bright Red
    Starting Orders:
    1 - raise land
    2 - Volcanic 1E of me

8. Reus

Reus Polar Bear

Start Position: 11x,15y
    Colour: Turquoise
    1 - Lower Land (11x, 15y)
    2 - Evolve Sea Creatures

9. TheGryphonPrince

TheGryphonPrince King

Start position: 16x, 11y (could you put a map with the coordinates please?)
    Colour: Dark greeen
    Starting Orders:
    1) Raise land
    2) Evolve land creatures

10. Ailedhoo

Ailedhoo wonderer

Start Position: 7, 7
    Colour: red
    Starting orders:
    1) Raise land
    2) Volcanic eruption just north of my avatar

11. Nuka-sama

Nuka-sama See ya! It has been a fun decade!

Start Position: the upper right most position
    Colour: white preferred, if not, dark blue
    Starting orders:
    1) Raise an icy mountain where I am located
    2) raise a second, icy mountain one tile south of mountain just to the south of me

12. Daftpanzer

Thank you very much! I may get an update 0 up this evening, if I don't fall asleep.

I didn't specify but I imagined the coordinates 0,0 to be the bottom left of the map. If you wish to change your start position please feel free to do so.

13. SouthernKing

SouthernKing crickety cricket

Start position: 4,4
    Colour: Saffron
    Starting orders:
    -Volcanic upwelling on my start
    -Evolve sea life

14. inthesomeday

inthesomeday Immortan

SP: 13, 5
    Color: Black
    Avatar: Huge underwater skeleton
    Orders:
    -Lower Land
    -Lower Land

15. Decamper

Decamper ..!

Start Position: Top left somewhere
    Colour: white or black, or whatever works for you.
    Avatar: a cow. White and black preferably.
    Orders:
    -Volcano on me
    -Volcano 1 hex below me

16. Daftpanzer

Thanks again! I won't get an update 0 up tonight now, though I have started working on it. If anyone else wants to join, please feel free.

17. poketwo

poketwo Warlord

Start Position: Bottom right
    Colour: RED
    1 - raise land
    2 - evolve land animals

18. Daftpanzer

Era 1

The world is shrouded in volcanic dust, and a cold wind blows from the poles. A golden and red sun shines down on barren landscapes of gravel and sand. Towering supervolcanoes seem small in comparison to the stratospheric columns of gas and dust that erupt from them, shimmering with constant lightning. Giant earthquakes convulse the planet’s crust and thrust land above the waters and onwards, into the clouds; while sections of seabed are torn and sink to unseen depths. All the while, tenacious forms of life not only find a way to survive, but thrive.

The creator-beings have arrived in this world.

(click here for full size)

The land of Tolzeria is formed by the combined efforts of the two beings, Tolni and Daftpanzer, both of whom focus some of their energy on creating plant life. By the end of the era, primitive vascular plants have taken root and spread to neighbouring islands. This plant life supports a growing population of primitive land-dwelling arthropods that have crawled out of the ocean.

Tolzeria is made more fertile by volcanic eruptions happening to its west; prevailing winds and currents carry nutrients to its shores. Despite ongoing eruptions, the shallow equatorial sea is some of the most hospitable on the planet and supports diverse sea life, including primitive fishes.

The being known as Ailedhoo is responsible for these volcanoes. Its own land, Ailedan, begins to see a spread of Tolzerian plant life, but otherwise remains rather barren.

Civecca is a small continent to the south. Here the fire-being Civ’ed has raised land out of the ocean, and is busy creating a volcanic island chain in the east; despite the cooler seas closer to the poles, this area also has a health amount of marine life.

Heading east from here, we reach a great tear in the planet’s crust, beneath the ocean. The combined efforts of the beings Reus and Inthesomeday in sinking parts of the ocean floor, have led to a fracturing of the continental plates from north to south. The Reusian Abyss supports deep-sea molluscs, the Somedan Trench descends to even more crushing depths, where little complex life can currently exist.

To the east of the Somedan Trench, there is a sharp rise in the crust, culminating in the high rocky plateau of Berubia. This land is barren, but does sea marine life in its sheltered coastal bays.

Small isolated continents stretch to the north-west; Gryphall is similarly a barren land devoid of plant life, but nonetheless has seen some primitive amphibious arthropods evolve, which live by scavenging along the shorelines. Fearsome sea-scoprions have evolved in the seas between Berubia and Gyrphall.

The frozen heights of Nuuk compete with Berubia for the tallest elevations, but Nuuk is most definitely the coldest land on the planet. No animals or planets can currently survive here.

Meanwhile the Great Snake, SouthernKing, raises an isolated volcanic continent in the south-west of the world map, almost at the antipode from Nuuk. SouthernKing is damaged by the great volcanoes it unleashes upon itself. But the resulting fertile seas soon become a magnet for marine life from Tolzeria, including primitive fish; in the harsher environment of the Southrian coast, they evolve into ferocious armoured fishes, preying on trilobites and other fish.

Finally, to the north of Southria, in the north-west of the world map, the world’s largest volcanoes are erupting. The Camprian Islands are a violent and unpredictable place, with islands rising out of the sea only to explode and crash back into the depths within a few years. Life struggles to gain a foothold here, though algae blooms in the surrounding ocean, attracting primitive fish.

Decamper, the Great Cow, is responsible for these volcanoes. In its enthusiasm, Decamper finds itself completely consumed by the firey volcanic eruptions of its own making; its energy temporarily scattered across the planet along with the volcanic ash...

NOTES:

Decamper is unfortunately dead (due to self-inflicted volcano damage) and will have to respawn, which can be anywhere on the map. You may keep the cow avatar if you wish!

Other players have gained some experience based on their actions. I will make stats soon, but please assume you have 2 action points to spend.

SouthernKing is damaged by 1hp, which has a 50% chance of healing every turn.

I have added a couple of new actions to the rules. You are now able to protect and area from harm, and build Shrines to yourself - details in the OP.

Got another action that you’d really like to see? Let me know and maybe I’ll add something to the rules.

Place names suck and/or you want a different in-game name? That is cool, just let me know!

:salute:

19. Daftpanzer

Daftpanzer's orders:

#1 - Drift Continent, nudging Tolzeria on a westwards path to hopefully merge into Ailedan.

#2 - Monsterify! one of the land arthropods into a giant form, to serve as my minion for future adventures.

20. Daftpanzer

@poketwo sorry I missed your signup while updating. You'll have to wait for Era 2, hopefully not too long! Feel free to change your starting setup if you wish.