IOTMAD: Mutually Assured Destruction

Discussion in 'Imperium OffTopicum' started by Lighthearter, May 18, 2013.

1. Lighthearter

Lighthearter President of the United States

And orders locked. If you've sent nothing, GET IT IN. If you've sent something, don't worry.

I might update tonight, and I might update tomorrow. We'll see.

-L

2. Lighthearter

Lighthearter President of the United States

We don’t know who fired first. A lot of people think it was the USA. But others think it might have been Mexico, or Montreal. Maybe even the UASR. Who knows? I think they probably cut loose at each other about the same time, and who cares who shot first.

It doesn’t matter anyway. After the first nukes were launched, and rained down from the skies . . . it changed everything. Cities were wiped out, hundreds of millions died, and people started . . . retaliating. It went back and forth. That first war wasn’t anywhere near the end of its conflict, like I guess they all thought it would be.

The initial spate of missiles just made everyone . . . mad. It didn’t take long at all before other powers started launching their own nukes in retaliation for the first set. Say you were one of them. You see Armageddon blowing its way across the map, and decide to try and get one up on your bothersome neighbors before they can shank you. But then it all gets out of control, and bombs start going off everywhere. Before you really know what you’ve done, or what anyone else has, most of the Earth is a radioactive wasteland.

We never really had a chance, you know. As soon as those immature aggressive louts got their hands on nuclear weapons, it was all over. What did they all think – that this was a game, that those missiles – that could wipe out cities, counties, entire countries in a single blast of fire – were toys? That they could just launch a few bombs and everything would magically be okay?

Idiots. To a man. And we suffer for it. It’s been a hundred years since the Downfall – a lot of people have forgotten what led to it.

But I haven’t. And neither have my people. Humans will return to the heights they once fell from, one day – I won’t live to see it, but you might.

And when we get back up there, and have massive nations spanning the world again, and all that we lost is returned to us, and you sit on some gilded throne –

Just remember, if you play with the Bomb.

The only certainty is that it will end.

Nuclear Armageddon has consumed Earth as a result of the ordered nuclear exchange. Any nations not directly targeted were swept up in the madness sooner or later by cascading alliances and petty self-interest. The world is destroyed, and this game is over.

Nuclear Weapons are not toys.

-L

3. Omega124

Omega124 Challenging Fate

So, with the gig up, I just have one thing to say about all this.

Lec, Red, and Celt were all going to strike the Northern Watch and Egypt. Their neutrality was just a ruse. Also, I swear I did not fire the nukes.

4. Terran Empress

Terran Empress Hornet

Aww, I liked this game, Im going to have to save The Great Turan for another game then :D

GG guys GG

5. Ravus_Sol

Ravus_Sol God-Emperor of Mankind

I assume it was USA. I suspected the game might end with Nukes, but oh well. I personally would have prefered a upgrade to a part 2 version with a apocalyptic wasteland and diminished resources. Because some people would have survived... I'm looking at you South Africa. You ruddy silent devil.

The big World War would have been fun. I enjoyed playing as a military despot and a openly aggressive style was fun. I expected to be checked on it a lot sooner! A shame it didn't get to play out, I expect that the deciders of the war would have been the Wali and Turan nations.

6. Mosher

Mosher Mushroom dad

I was planning on making a move against Egypt depending on the events of this turn, too. :p

7. Ravus_Sol

Ravus_Sol God-Emperor of Mankind

Backstabbers! After the friendship we gave you!! :lol:

8. Terran Empress

Terran Empress Hornet

TBH I sent some spies to have West Siberia defect to me, and then invade and conquer Russia in the turn after that :p

9. Mosher

Mosher Mushroom dad

You damn Egyptians were getting too big for your britches. :p

10. Ailedhoo

Ailedhoo wonderer

Well at least the USA did get destroyed in the end...

Shame though they choose that method: no diplomacy, just nuke.

I look forward to LH's next game. :)

11. Nukeknockout

Nukeknockout Rusty Hinge

I have now returned. Had the world not ended, the Falklands would have utterly annihilated Watch and Egypt alike with our 27 Spies.

We were the ones responsible for the massive industrial damage to the Wali Emirates, and responsible for China's sudden loss of military strength when they threatened to launch nukes.

Had I been around, the United States of America would have been doomed the second it declared its intent to launch.

Virtually every spy op performed this game was performed by the Falklands in the name of the Comintern.

This was a really fun game. I enjoyed being the manipulative backstabber - honest to honest, your days were numbered to when I returned from Ireland.

I must have told LH ten times that, by the rules of IOTMAD as I interpreted them, there was only ever four important statistics. Land, Sea, Air, Army Bases, Navy Bases, Air Bases, Nuclear Strength, and Fortifications were all irrelevant. The only meaningful statistics were industrial strength, spy count, intelligence centers, and provinces in that order.

A shame the USA ruined it for me :p

12. KaiserElectric

KaiserElectric Total Freakin Besties

Knowing who's playing them, you can't be too surprised. :p

Also, welcome back! *hugs*

13. Ailedhoo

Ailedhoo wonderer

Yep: we can blame it all on one who desired doomsday. :p

O well: at least we had fun taking down thy power! :D