Iowa Results Changed

GamezRule

Inconceivable!
The Iowa Republican Party will certify this month's presidential caucuses as a split decision between former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney and former Pennsylvania senator Rick Santorum, citing missing data from eight precincts, the Des Moines Register reported on Thursday.

The party had previously awarded the contest to Romney, with an eight vote margin. The official certified caucus results are due out Thursday at 8:15 a.m. local time (1415 GMT).

The Register said the new count put Santorum ahead by 34 votes. However, results from any one of the eight precincts with "missing data" could hold an advantage for Romney, the Register reported.

So it appears that Rick Santorum has now been declared the winner of the Iowa caucuses. How will this effect the eventual nomination?

link to article

I don't think it will change much at this stage of the game. It would have been much more interesting if they figured out Perry had actually been the winner. :p

I don't think it will change much at this stage of the game. It would have been much more interesting if they figured out Perry had actually been the winner. :p
Well, this definitely weakens Romney's position, and if he is defeated in South Carolina, it could cause a Gingrich or god forbid a Santorum nomination.

this doens't matter. the two already got the same number of delegates, and the campaign narrative has moved on. Santorum had his chance to make his case, and he didnt take it.

Shouldn't the number of delegates change? Although if it's only a 34 vote difference then I wouldn't worry too much.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/19/politics/iowa-caucus/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

It sounds as if we don't even know who the actual winner is. Can it just be a tie?
If I remember correctly, those were supposed to be Romney precincts.

this doens't matter. the two already got the same number of delegates, and the campaign narrative has moved on. Santorum had his chance to make his case, and he didnt take it.
Agreed.

Shouldn't the number of delegates change?
Nope. The delegates will still be divided evenly between them.

Santorum probably would have gotten more money from donors going into New Hampshire and South Carolina if he was declared the winner back when the election actually occurred, but that opportunity has passed. I found it funny that Romney was a winner with an 8 vote margin but they resisted declaring Santorum the winner with 34 until the last minute before South Carolina.

Censoring myself here to avoid the wrath of the moderators: the party really fudged over Santorum.

How does something like that even happen?

Who's in charge of these elections, giraffes?

More opportunity for error when things are done with pen and paper.

The Democrats don't even report the actual votes. We'll never know who really won an Iowa D caucus.

The whole system is terrible and Iowa should either hold a real election or lose its first in the nation status.

Agreed. I can't stand caucuses. Primaries are much better.

Bestbank Tiger said:
More opportunity for error when things are done with pen and paper.

The Democrats don't even report the actual votes. We'll never know who really won an Iowa D caucus.

So when Republicans do it, it's an error, and when Democrats do it, it's dishonest? Is that what I am seeing here?

So when Republicans do it, it's an error, and when Democrats do it, it's dishonest? Is that what I am seeing here?

If so, you need thicker glasses :lol:

Just pointing out that this is a byproduct of a horrible system, not anything particular to one party or one year.

America counting system:

1, cheeseburger, 4, nascar, 8, freedom :lol:

Hey Quackers, remember that time you lost a war in the 1770's to a group of colonial misfits that couldn't count?

*ring*
"Hello, America? Yeah, it's Britain, you win. Bye."
*click*

Good to know that I can safely drop my respect level for Iowa and their idiotic caucuses.

Hey Quackers, remember that time you lost a war in the 1770's to a group of colonial misfits that couldn't count?

*ring*
*click*
Note to self: whenever you want to summon Godwynn, make only a mild joke about America.

*ring*
*click*
Funny thing, Cornwallis actually tried to surrender to the French; General de Rochambeau had to insist that they surrender to Washington rather than himself. (Although for Quackers, that would probably have been worse, so I'm not sure if there's any winning for him. :mischief:)

Top Bottom