IP over Avian Carriers

aimeeandbeatles

watermelon
I'm pretty amused :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_over_Avian_Carriers

In computer networking, IP over Avian Carriers (IPoAC) is a humorously intended proposal to carry Internet Protocol (IP) traffic by birds such as homing pigeons.

Some people tried it. Here're the results:

--- 10.0.3.1 ping statistics ---
9 packets transmitted, 4 packets received, 55% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 3211900.8/5222806.6/6388671.9 ms
vegard@gyversalen:~$ exit

Not that great really. But I thought it was interesting enough to share.

Are there any other forms of bizarre network? I already know about sneakernet.

Actually I can see cases where it might be useful.... e.g. isolated research that has power for a computer but is unfeasible to put cables in for internet. But then theres the issue of packet loss.

well the places Im thinking of would not have much roads I dont think. haha

That's sure a vivid testimony to the speed of rural connections when they got beaten by a pigeon! :lol:
Whilst this particular case might have involved a slow broadband connection, there's nothing necessarily surprising about something like this having a higher bandwidth than the Internet - the same is true of say, putting a stack of DVDs or a hard drives in the post.

The thing that the Internet made much better was latency - when we think of email being faster than post, that's only in the latency sense, not bandwidth.

(I also note that the test was for uploading video, which is generally much poorer even on good broadband connections. If it was downloading, the faster latency could mean they could start watching straight away, rather than waiting for the pigeon :))

Someone once said never to underestimate a truckload of DVDs speeding down the highway.

Actually I can see cases where it might be useful.... e.g. isolated research that has power for a computer but is unfeasible to put cables in for internet. But then theres the issue of packet loss.

"I have one word for you: Satellites"

Yeah i thought of that afterwards.

Wain, you had never heard of that? I thought that RFC was a legendary joke by now!

Top Bottom