1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

iPad version?

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by subtledoctor, Jun 8, 2014.

1. subtledoctor

subtledoctor Chieftain

IPAD VERSION! IPAD VERSION!

Seriously, can we please have a tablet version? People play civ5 on Surface Pros, and on iPads with screen-sharing apps, and it apparently works great. Don't make me buy a Surface Pro, Firaxis! Give us some real multi platform support! I will totally pay $60 for an iOS game. Give us a long, complex game with great touch controls - CivRev just doesn't cut the mustard.

2. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

They will not adopt Civ 5 engine for iPad just for CBE, sorry. XCOM was a different story - it was built on Unreal Engine, which already supports iPad. Also, iPads have memory limitations, that's why XCOM came to iOS with some maps cut.

So, nope. I wouldn't recommend expecting it.

3. TPangolin

TPangolin Just the worst person

4. That Other Guy

That Other Guy Chieftain

5. boghog

boghog Warlord

What they could do (or someone else) is write a brilliant iPad client app that allows you to play a game that is actually running on your PC/Mac.

6. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

By someone else you probably mean Steam. They are quite close to it.

7. Fabio1701

Fabio1701 King

You can already do that if you have google chrome installed on both machines.

I really don't want resources expended for an iPad/tablet/mobile game. Civrev was fun for the novelty of playin in the train for about a month. Then it just got really boring. I would rather Firaxis use their resources for cool expansions or DLC.

8. Kid R

Kid R Emperor

It's turn based strategy for heavens' sake!!! The genre should be tablet heaven :)

Especially as the devs went to the trouble of adding the strategic view in Civ 5 - so in theory there's no need to waste 99% of the CPU on eye candy if you don't want it/don't have the power to show it.

I mean what else does the engine have to do apart from graphics? A few trade route calculations, bit of A*, bit of diplo.... it's not Deep Blue playing chess or anything!

I really don't understand why Civ of all games should be any less involving on a low-power machine. :dunno:

9. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

Well, even if the game has strategic view, and even if it's set to be default, there's still procedural land generation, which is heavy as hell. The solution would be making mobile version with strategic view only, but it would be selling much worse.

Second, there's an AI. Tactical battles of Civ5 require huge brute force to demonstrate even the current level of skill.

Finally, do you understand the difficulties of making game for Apple devices? You have to use programming language which is not used anywhere else, you have to use IDE which is not used anywhere else and so on. Compared to Apple, Microsoft is an incarnation of openness.

10. Fabio1701

Fabio1701 King

This.

Just to reiterate, I have a really good machine (two year old), and when I get to the modern age on a large or bigger map with many many civs the AI turn takes a really really long time. Bringing the graphics down to absolute minimum does not change this at all. This should tell you that the CPU power a civ game takes is not in the graphics, it's in the AI. there is more than just a few trade routes, infact it is very similar to deep blue playing chess.

11. boghog

boghog Warlord

And yet -miraculously- thousands of developers manage to cope just fine. Heck, Firaxis even brought Civ V to the Mac. And BE will come out for Macs, too. Once you have it on a Mac, the rest is just UI.

OTOH I agree that the computing power of iPads (while widely underestimated and underused) would probably not be enough for a satisfying single player experience. MP is another story ...

12. Kid R

Kid R Emperor

@Stealth, Fabio

The initial reaction:
    I can't argue with, if you don't like tablets fair enough. But I disagree with some of the more specific things.

Re. Ipad development. True the language options aren't exactly the same but Firaxis have skills to do it, they ported XCOM fine. It wouldn't be a problem.

Re. Sales, XCOM on ipad sold really well, and was quite expensive too. Who knows whether they recouped their porting costs, but to say a civ game on tablet wouldn't sell is I think almost certainly wrong. And a tile-based game is even more well-suited to touch screens than a 3D tactical shooter. Some might say Civ without the glitzy oooh-aaahhh distracting graphics would too starkly expose Firaxis' shonky, badly-balanced gameplay in recent releases, and that's why they don't do it, but I would never say such a thing :D

Re. performance, as with any program you never know till you profile it where the bottlenecks are so we're speculating a bit here really. But in my experience graphics, especially like in these B.E. screenshots, take up by far the most resources. Old computers could run civ 1 and 2 AI fine, and are we really saying civ tactical ... ahem ... theory:lol:... has advanced so much in 20 years that it takes huge machines to run it now where it didn't before? Or the game mechanics are significantly more complicated? I don't think so!

If the AI is taking a long time later in the game it'll probably be because there is no incentive to tune the game to run well at the end. A) relatively few people go there and B) the gfx are swamping everything else so all tuning effort is - correctly - expended on that.

13. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

No, it's Aspyr who brought Civ V to Mac. The only company in the world which could bring Windows code and port it to Mac with virtualization and duct tape, after which the game works... more or less.

All other companies have to maintain separate codebase for MacOS and iOS. For game engines like Unreal Engine (XCOM is using it) that's selling point, so they do it. Games with custom engines usually don't.

14. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

Game mechanics of 1upt ARE significantly more complicated, especially for AI.

15. subtledoctor

subtledoctor Chieftain

Well, boo to all that.

16. GeoModder

GeoModder Deity

17. nakori

nakori Chieftain

Not quite true. I was at a recent dev conference where they demostrated https://xamarin.com/

Play Magnus was an app that was used as an example. Shared library for iOS/android and windows mobile app with code reuse for iOS at 80% and 90% / 92% for the two others. Mainly the UI you have to do for all devices. So it's possible to share code with mobile devices and pc depending on the platform you choose to use.

18. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

I'm CTO at software development company and we use Xamarin. Believe me, it's not that easy. And, especially it have nothing to do with games. Custom game engines like Civilization require nearly full rewrite for iOS.

19. nakori

nakori Chieftain

Didn't say it was easy, but to me it looks like it's possible if you plan for it. I'm talking about setting up a new shared project in VS2013. Doesn't matter if it's the data layer, Data Access layer, Business Layer or Service Access layer. Alot of the codebase could be reused if you went for it from the start.

I've used VS for 15 years, but don't have experience with Xamarin Studio or the Xamarin techology itself beside of what I've read. Since the VS shared project update first came in April2014 with Update2 I guess it will need some time to mature. But it seems to me that it's getting there.

But I agree that alot of #If PLATFORM compiler directives would make it a mess to maintain if they're needed everywhere.

20. SamBC

SamBC Emperor

The viability depends on how much of the engine code is reusable for different games, which makes duplication of effort more economically viable, and how well you do separation of concerns (which is good practice, but adds time so may not be the best business case)