iPhone X

Birdjaguar

Hanafubuki
Super Moderator
Supporter
I have been watching the Apple announcement and am impressed with what the X offers. If it isn't too big (I like the size of my 6) I'll probably get one.

I'll keep my iphone 4 around until it dies. I don't think there's been advancements in the phones that would compel me to make a purchase. Spending hundreds of dollars on phones doesn't seem a great prospect when I could spend those dollars on other things.

Stupid name. What are they going to do in 2019 now? Starts at $1320, not really interested. I'll probably get a OnePlus 6.

Finally gets Qi charging, which is awesome, and which I've been using for the past half-decade.

I'll keep my iphone 4 around until it dies. I don't think there's been advancements in the phones that would compel me to make a purchase. Spending hundreds of dollars on phones doesn't seem a great prospect when I could spend those dollars on other things.

For all practical purposes, the iPhone 4 is about on par with a flip phone now. If that's all you need, sure, but it's not remotely comparable to modern devices. Doesn't have comparable security either, I wouldn't store any sensitive information on an iPhone 4.

$1320???

Wow. That's only $1300 more than what my current phone cost.

I have an iPhone SE and it suits me great. It's powerful enough and small enough for it to still be a phone. I hate the size of all these new phones, they're getting too giant. I need my phone to work as a travel phone, and not a mini-ipad so I'm gonna stick to my iPhone SE for the next 3-4 years at least.

For all practical purposes, the iPhone 4 is about on par with a flip phone now. If that's all you need, sure, but it's not remotely comparable to modern devices. Doesn't have comparable security either, I wouldn't store any sensitive information on an iPhone 4.
Excuse me, but you can’t play 80 Days on a flip phone.

True, but if you have 80 Days why is there a need to play anything else?

The facial recognition technology for security and OLED screen will push all commonplace tech forward. The iPhone X isn't for most people, but it will improve your options when you do upgrade to your next device. I like the size of my 6 and don't want to go bigger.

The smallest iPhone 8 is the same size as a 6. 4.7" diagonal screen.

With luck we'll see a small version of the X.

$20 phone?

I am interested. Where'd you get it?
Walmart. It's a landline that doesn't access the internet, doesn't take pictures, doesn't have an answering machine, doesn't have caller ID, and is attached to the wall via a phone jack.

It was twice as expensive as the same kind of phone I'd bought 10 years earlier, but works the same. I bought this one 6 years ago, so it should still have a few years left before it dies.

What happened was I'd just moved into a new apartment, and of course the exact time when I really needed a phone to contact all the utility companies, bank, social agencies I was with, etc., the phone died. I had $20 and change until the end of the month, so I went to Walmart... and the clerk tried to tell me that the cheapest phone they had was a cordless one that was nearly $100.

I told her I didn't want a cordless phone, and didn't have enough money for one, anyway. She swore up and down they didn't have what I was describing (trotting out the excuse "they don't make those anymore"). So I told her I'd look around myself... and less than 5 minutes later I found what I was looking for. Then I went back to her, where she was talking to other customers. I waved the phone under her nose and said, "Here's the phone you swore you don't sell."

That was years ago, and it's still working.

Dude I'd have kept my 5s forever if 16gb hadn't kept filling up and running out of space. Apples knows what they are doing now allowing expandable memory (without modding the phone yourself).

Now I have a 128gb 7. It has ~90 free so it'll last a while.

The facial recognition technology for security and OLED screen will push all commonplace tech forward. The iPhone X isn't for most people, but it will improve your options when you do upgrade to your next device. I like the size of my 6 and don't want to go bigger.

I mean... those also aren't really new, I've had a phone with facial unlock and OLED for years.

The smallest iPhone 8 is the same size as a 6. 4.7" diagonal screen.

With luck we'll see a small version of the X.

Unlikely we see a smaller X. The device size of the X is comparable to the 4.7" 8 because of how huge the bezels on the older iPhones are.

I mean... those also aren't really new, I've had a phone with facial unlock and OLED for years.

Unlikely we see a smaller X. The device size of the X is comparable to the 4.7" 8 because of how huge the bezels on the older iPhones are.
But Apple has made them standard for the industry. How does the facial recognition on your phone compare with Apples? What brand of phone do you own?

I just checked and the X is only 5mm larger in each direction than my 6! I wonder if my wife would notice if I made the switch? In any case, once they are in the stores, I will go take a look.

Dunno, I don't use facial/fingerprint recognition, I stay away from security features that a hostile actor could easily compel me to use unless it's in addition to a passphrase. I'm sure my phone's facial recognition isn't as good as Apple's, simply by basis of being two years old now. MS Lumia 950, but they're out of the phone business now.

I'm suspect Apple's facial recognition will be best-in-class for the first year or so until everyone catches up (same as happened with their fingerprint recognition), but there's no way they're making OLED "standard" - Samsung's been using OLED screens in all their flagship phones since 2010, and Google has alternated between OLED and LCD in the Nexus/Pixel line since the Nexus One, also in 2010, and current gen Samsung/Google phones have spectacular OLED screens.

IMO, on the hardware front, the single largest, and by far, advantage to the iPhone is how far ahead the A11 performance is compared to ARM chips that anyone else is manufacturing.

Pffft! Get a real portable phone.
Radio-Shack_17-1003_Portable_Cell_Phone_Web.jpg

Top Bottom