1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Iran Iraq War Mod+Scenario

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by stolenrays, Apr 19, 2010.

1. stolenrays

stolenrays Chieftain

No, it is ok, sometimes there are bugs to fix. That's really odd about the palestine unit thing. Never heard of that. Maybe it was like they had removed open borders, or the actual borders had changed and your unit was moved. This also happpens when war is declared. I'll try playing it with palestine and see what happens.

Well, I intended the scenerio to be played as an Iran-Iraq war, with the other countries as an afterthought, but still in there for completists and historical accuracy. That's kind of why I didn't include Palestinian cities. They were and still are somewhat refugees without autonomy. Another person has suggested to make a palestinian city, but i just didn't see any room anywhere on the map.

I've played the game with the Afghan Mujhadeen and you can take a couple of cities if you work fast and concentrate on one or two from the begining. Let me know if it is too hard. They should be able to fend off
    the Soviets/Afghan communists. I'll check that one out again.

I guess it is funny that Israel can make OPEC. How do I make sure they can't? Not sure on that one. But hey other wonders for other civs can be made by all. I tried to not make it too restrictive that way.

Thanks for the comments and I'm glad others enjoy playing. You should also know the t-62 is fine, there just is no animation for it.

2. stolenrays

stolenrays Chieftain

Ok so I played it on Settler with the Afghan Mujahadeen and it is definetly doable. Challenging though.

I played with the Palestinians and everything you said happened. I have no clue what could be the problem. Maybe the Palestinian factions have erupted into civil war? ;)

3. Civ4_boi

Civ4_boi Chieftain

Ok I'll try on a lower setting.

Thanks for the help and quick responses. Gonna be wasting quite a bit of time on this.

4. stolenrays

stolenrays Chieftain

Higher difficulties deffinetly would require me to add some more units for the Afghan Mujahadeen. I was also messing around with event modding, but found that anything beyond events for holy cities requires python surrounding capturing cities.

5. stolenrays

stolenrays Chieftain

Added the guerrilla 3 promotion ot Afghan Mujhadeen and Kurdish Rebel Infantry/SAM Infantry. Also added more Afghan Mujhadeen infantry. That should help them out.

Coded two events for capturing the holy cities in the game. That's about all I can do, but Baldyr might be able to create a couple of more events using python for me. These include events for a historical war declaration and some conquering of cities.

6. stolenrays

stolenrays Chieftain

Well I've managed to code some python events to take place at certain times for certain civs. They include things such as Operation Opera for Israel, Soviet assistance to the Afghan government, and Operation Cyclone for the Afghan Mujahadeen.

7. stolenrays

stolenrays Chieftain

Added marshes to southern Iraq/SW Iran and made them cost 2 movment points and provide defense. This should slow down the war to make it more realistic. Also changed terrain and water textures to Civ Colonization.

Also adding unique names for many of Iran/Iraqs units.

8. Civ4_boi

Civ4_boi Chieftain

Have you considered giving Palestine and Mujahideen some Spies to start with?

And regarding the bug I experienced with Palestine: when I lost my own unit.

I'm playing Iran now, and Palestine asked me to declare war on Palestine. No screenshot I'm afraid.

9. stolenrays

stolenrays Chieftain

Regarding the Palestine bug, that is too funny. I'll try and fix it. What would the spies be for?

10. stolenrays

stolenrays Chieftain

I think I fixed the religions being founded bug. I looked at Crossroads of the World for BTS. What they did was have preq techs for the unused religions set to Future Tech 2. They made it so that Future Tech repeats so you never get to it and made the tab for Future Tech on the technology screen set to negatives so you never see it. A nice workaround.

Update. It didn't work so I'll replace those religions with Zoroastrianism, Bahai, and something else.

11. stolenrays

stolenrays Chieftain

I was wondering what you thought of the difficulty playing as Iran or Iraq. I thought it was a bit too easy and was looking for advice to prolong the game to make it more realistic. I thought it might helps to do any of the following: limit fighters to national units, reduce attack ratings of tanks/artillery, limit artillery to national units, or add city defense promotions to machine guners.

I successfully modded Buddhism and Confuscinism into Bahai and Zoroastrianism btw. No more religion foundings.

12. stolenrays

stolenrays Chieftain

13. Mrhoochi

Mrhoochi Chieftain

Hey great mod, but the link for the version 1.3 is broken - can you fix that?
    thx a lot:)

14. stolenrays

stolenrays Chieftain

15. angelitocarc

angelitocarc Chieftain

when i start it says me failed at loading xml files and the interface doesnt appears
    please help im newie :S

16. stolenrays

stolenrays Chieftain

17. dankok8

dankok8 Elected World Leader

I just played the Scenario on Emperor as Iraq and didn't manage to make a dent on Iran. Those MG's are impossible to take out. Iran has air superiority and they are immune to collateral from Artillery... By 83, I was fighting for my life as huge columns of Iranian tanks and Revolutionary Guards entered Iraq.

The game starts with this balance of power:
    Iraq - 14 cities, 800 000 soldiers
    Iran - 57 cities, 1 900 000 soldiers

Iran has 4.1X the population and 2.4X the armed forces!

It's not historical. At the start of the war, Iraq had ~15mil people and Iran ~40mil. Iraq's armed forces were also in much better shape. Saddam had a trained, well armed fighting force with plenty of armor and artillery. Iran had purged many of its military commanders and had little technical equipment (apart from aircraft). What Iran had on its side was its sheer size making supply difficult for Iraqi and ability to mobilize a larger force than Iraq suspected once hostilities began.

I edited this scenario and added more cities for Iraq (now 22) and starting troops particularly tanks for Iraq. It's still very difficult but it feels right.

18. stolenrays

stolenrays Chieftain

I've actually been working on updating the scenerio. Among updates are more border towns for both countries including the Umm Qasr port a new patrol boat custom unit for Iran and other new artwork such as skinns and buttons. I've also ratcheted down the city defense bonus of MGunners.

I tried to make it so that the game would focus on the border conflict. People had said that jit was too easy to push into the countries so I added MGunners and city defense bonuses. So what else would you like?

19. dankok8

dankok8 Elected World Leader

You're definitely thinking about it along the correct lines. Much of that war was trench warfare and the armies were disorganized so progress should be slow. However, your latest version 1.3 (I didn't try previously...) had Iran way stronger than Iraq to an extent where you had no hope as Iraq. I gave them 22 cities (including Umm Qasr) in my edit instead of 14 and about 7 more Tanks as well as Artillery. It's still tough as Iraq because of Iran's huge size, production and formidable defenses but now I've been able to make some progress... With these edits, it's also more historically accurate.

Another possible improvement for the next version is to fix the borders of Jordan, Lebanon, and Syria. It isn't quite accurate but this is small thing.

Loweing the defense bonus of MG's and the patrol boat are great ideas! Don't get me wrong... This is already a great and very fun scenario. :)

20. stolenrays

stolenrays Chieftain

Most of my revisions of the game in general are for the lower difficulties btw. I find it difficult to make it historically accurate for every difficulty level. I've now made it so that bombard ratings are lowered so a siege is required to take a city, which could take awhile. The baghammer patrol boat has hidden nationality. There's also the red crescent now, a new mirage F1 model, working T62 model, and an iranian f-14 skin. among other things. I agree it is hard to make the borders accurate, I've tried the best I could, but cultural borders often make it difficult.

Btw, I'm working on completing a new mod centering on the Invasion of Kuwait right before the gulf war. You might like it as well.