Iranian dribbles his way to NBA...

Azadre

One more turn...
A historic first will soon be made in the dynamic and exciting world of sports when a young and ambitious Iranian athlete will join the prestigious NBA basketball league in the next two months. NBA

Jaber Rouzbahani is 7 feet 5 inches tall, weighs 260 pounds, with an 8-foot wingspan. He is a shot blocker with a soft shooting touch.

The NBA - National Basketball Association - is the premier professional basketball league in the World. The best players play in the NBA, and the overall standard of the competition is considerably higher than any other professional competition.

Players in other countries looking to jumpstart their career often join NBA teams in the hope of becoming a star player and gaining international exposure. So it seems Rouzbahani is on the right track…

Rouzbahani can grab the rim flat-footed and dunk on his tiptoe. He is a kid from the historical Iranian city of Isfahan. Born in 1986, Rouzbahani started playing less than four years ago and plays for Isfahan's Zob Ahan. The Iranian teen played China's Yao Ming in an Asian tournament last year and held him to 15 points - about half of what Yao was averaging in the tourney. The Chinese is currently playing in the NBA.

Rouzbahani played at the World Junior Championships in Thessaloniki, Greece last summer in front of NBA scouts, averaging 12 points and 8 rebounds per game and an eye-opening 7 blocks, leading the entire tournament.

What stands out most about Rouzbahani, besides his obvious size, is his smile and great personality, which shines through despite the language barrier.

"I underwent all NBA tests," Rouzbahani recently told the official IRNA news agency, and added, “I have to register at San Francisco University to be able to play in NBA league. The enrollment takes me two months.

"My presence in NBA will help my teammates find their way into the world`s most prestigious basketball league."

Jaber has been working with Ansar Alameen, an NBA skill development coach, since moving to America. Alameen has said, “His development since I’ve been working with him is like nothing I’ve ever seen. It really comes down to his attitude.” Jaber Rouzbahani NBA

Rouzbahani was brought over from Iran last year after acquiring the necessary visa.

Jaber had a normal family upbringing with loving parents. His father is average height standing roughly 6 foot, while his mother is about 5'11.

When asked in one of his interviews what his idea of the US was before arriving to the country, he said he thought there was a nightclub on every street and everybody was rich and had a Benz. He added he was surprised most about the US that everybody there loves basketball, not soccer like in Iran.

Jaber was born with the same pituitary gland disorder as fellow draft prospect Pavel Podkolzine. Also known as “giantism”, it is a disorder related to the pituitary gland which is involved in growth. Left untreated people with this disorder often die from it in their 30s or 40s as their body cannot sustain the growth. Unlike Podkolzine, Rouzbahani had his pituitary gland removed a few years ago.

In Iran, by the way, basketball is almost non-existent. There is one gym in the city where Jaber is from and it is used by the professional team. Rouzbahani had a chance to meet his favorite player (Shaquille O'Neal) on a chance meeting on a trip up to Portland. As the two biggest people for miles around, the two spotted one another from across a parking lot. Shaq walked the length of the parking lot to shake the big fella’s hand, and said "You're the big kid from Iran right?" When asked how he knew of Jaber, Shaq pointed to his head and said, "I know everything." nba

In Iran, everyone plays soccer, and because of his size he was always the goalkeeper. When asked about how he started playing basketball, Jaber said someone handed him a ball and he liked the way it felt. It seems that moment was a significant changing point in Jaber’s life on his way to fame and fortune in the NBA…

© 2005 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)
~~~~~~~~
Awesomeness for the NBA

Interesting. He'll be fun to watch play.

And I thought a Germany guy in the NBA was wierd...

7'5 sheesh. How big is Yao and whos the tallest in the NBA right now?

jonatas said:
Yao's 7"6 i believe... and so is Bradley too i think..... i guess they would be the tallest
If Rouzbahani felt like being tall and dying young, then he could easily be taller, as long as he didn't have his pituitary gland removed. ;)

What about that Romanian guy that used to play for the Washington Bullets (not wizards). He was 7'7". Does he still play (I haven't watched basketball for a long time, at least not regularly by any definition).

Mario Feldberg said:
And I thought a Germany guy in the NBA was wierd...

There's a ton of international players, and more will keep coming every year. It's at the point where a lot of the best players in the league are from other countries. Technically Steve Nash isn't from the US, so you could say the leading candidate for MVP is an international player.

blindside said:
7'5 sheesh. How big is Yao and whos the tallest in the NBA right now?

According to NBA.com, both Shawn Bradley and Yao Ming are listed at 7'6", or 229cm.

http://www.nba.com/players/

A website called Eurobasket.com, apparently dedicated to European basketball, lists them at 228cm and 226cm respectively.

http://www.eurobasket.com/over210.asp

It would appear that whenever Bradley retires, Yao will be the undisputed tallest man in the league.

The person I was talking about is Gheorghe Muresan (from Romania), but he's apparently now retired. He and Manute Bol (from Sudan) were the tallest NBA players ever.

yeah, and neither of them were really that good. The beastly 7-6 shawn bradley also underachived in the league. Being freakishly tall doesnt always make you a great basketball player. lets see how this guy turns out.

is he on a team now, or will he be drafted next year?

MattBrown said:
yeah, and neither of them were really that good. The beastly 7-6 shawn bradley also underachived in the league. Being freakishly tall doesnt always make you a great basketball player. lets see how this guy turns out.

is he on a team now, or will he be drafted next year?
Manute Bol was pretty good. He still holds the record for most blocked shots in a season.

The Romanian was okay, but I don't remember him being that great.

Yom said:
Manute Bol was pretty good. He still holds the record for most blocked shots in a season.

No offense meant by this Yom, but Manute Bol was not "pretty good." He could block shots and that was it. He was a tremendous offensive liability (3.9ppg was his career high) and he was a mediocre rebounder (6.0rpg in his rookie year). He was a back-up for most of his career.

Muresan on the other hand, during his few years before injury problems changed the dimension of the game while on the court. You would constantly see good centers like Patrick Ewing and Alonzo Mourning having to take jump shots instead of pounding it in the paint like they prefer to do. Granted Muresan was no great of his time, but he was decent when healthy. His best season he put up nearly 15ppg and 10rpg. A lot of teams would be love to get that kind of production out of their centers. Right now there is maybe 5 centers in the league that can approach those numbers on a nightly basis.

The basic fact is that too often these players with the massive frames just can't handle the rigors of an NBA season. They then quickly fade out of the league, Muresan was no different, even though in his short time he did win the Most Improved Player award.

It's true, alot of these thin tall guys can't make it in the NBA. Shaq is good because he is powerful. Shaq has like 80 pounds on this guy. Yao's been pretty good, but he isn't the best offensive player. 260 pounds for 7'5" is pretty undersized for the NBA. He's going to have to bulk up a tad.

Yom said:

he was a lousey wrestler too! The atlanta hawks held his rights and when he " flunked" out of the NBA he was sent to NWA wrestling--how, because he had a guaranted contract and ted turner owned both organization and wanted his monies woth out of him.

if only we could go back to the day when skill mattered more in basketball than being freakishly huge.

jonatas said:
Yao's 7"6 i believe... and so is Bradley too i think..... i guess they would be the tallest

Geez, Shawn Bradley sucks...

ShiplordAtvar said:
According to NBA.com, both Shawn Bradley and Yao Ming are listed at 7'6", or 229cm.

http://www.nba.com/players/

A website called Eurobasket.com, apparently dedicated to European basketball, lists them at 228cm and 226cm respectively.

http://www.eurobasket.com/over210.asp

It would appear that whenever Bradley retires, Yao will be the undisputed tallest man in the league.

Yeah, and the NBA NEVER exaggerates the height of it's players. It's pretty much SOP to subtract 1-2 inches from any "official" height, and in the case of some players (like Charles Barkley for instance) 4 or 5.

Shadylookin said:
if only we could go back to the day when skill mattered more in basketball than being freakishly huge.

Have you ever actually watched a game? Besides Shaq, there's very few NBA players who dominate based on size alone.

Top Bottom