Iraq - Democracy accepteble outcomes

I have absolute faith in Bush that the election outcome would be satisfactory to the administration. He has proven to the American public that he can do it before; no reason why he can't do it again.

Originally posted by bobgote
we're talking about what would be acceptable to the US here, and Mr.Pres is absolutely right. if there is a chance the US wouldn't win a vote, they would (rightly, and sensibly) not go down that path. It would be stupid.
I'm not talking about what is acceptable to the US. I am talking about what is in the long-term interests of a free and democratic Iraq. As strange as it may seem to some of you, giving the people want they want is not necessarily the best thing for them. This is especially true for a new and emerging democracy that has little or no history of it. It lacks the fundamental institutions of democracy and it lacks the public commitment vital to its survival. Iraq is currently not ready for a full fledged democracy free from foreign involvement.

Let’s put an pro-western strong man in power who will rule the country with an iron fist. We cannot have an Islamic regime in such an important strategic location. I can think of a suitable candidate with vast experience who was found in a hole this week. Give him a slap on the wrists, a shave and no-body will know any different. :rolleyes:

Any elections held in Iraq must be completely free and the US must accept the outcome. The suppression of Arab people must stop now if we are to combat fundamentalism.

If Islamic people want an Islamic government then who are we to stop it?

Originally posted by dvandyke
Let’s put an pro-western strong man in power who will rule the country with an iron fist. We cannot have an Islamic regime in such an important strategic location. I can think of a suitable candidate with vast experience who was found in a hole this week. Give him a slap on the wrists, a shave and no-body will know any different. :rolleyes:

Any elections held in Iraq must be completely free and the US must accept the outcome. The suppression of Arab people must stop now if we are to combat fundamentalism.

If Islamic people want an Islamic government then who are we to stop it?

Obviously the Islamic leaders want an Islamic government, but how can you be sure the same holds true for the people if their individual rights aren't guaranteed?

Whatever happens, two things are certain:

1. The new Iraqi government WILL be West friendly.

2. The U.S. Military WILL have a base and forces in the country for a very long time (to protect against Iran primarily).

Originally posted by EzInKy

Obviously the Islamic leaders want an Islamic government, but how can you be sure the same holds true for the people if their individual rights aren't guaranteed?

That is why we need a free election but the demographics of the country make it very likely that an Islamic government would be elected. If they vote for an Islamic Party, Labour, Republican, Communist or even the Bath Party then the vote has to be accepted by Washington.

That is why we need a free election but the demographics of the country make it very likely that an Islamic government would be elected. If they vote for an Islamic Party, Labour, Republican, Communist or even the Bath Party then the vote has to be accepted by Washington.

As long as the new government doesn't do anything to restrict an individuals right to express their thoughts, worship whom they please, and vote their concious Washington would probably accept it....excepting perhaps the Ba'athists. I suspect that party would be outlawed just as the Nazi party was after WW2 in Germany, most likely by the locals.

The Baath Party has been banned in Iraq, by Iraq.

An Islamic Government in itself is not out of the question. If the government is like that of Jordan or Turkey, then it would be acceptable, I'm sure.

Iraq has not banned the Baath Party, the governing council in Iraq say they have banned it but and they are not a legitimate government and have no authority to do so.

My points is that if we are bringing democracy to Iraq than we should so, once conditions are imposed by the US it no longer becomes a democracy.

This is the very reason why imposing democracy by force is impossible.

Sure. Democracy is fine, until it becomes a dictatorship. We are not going to have elections, once, and let that party rule forever.

This is the very reason why imposing democracy by force is impossible.

It was "imposed" quite nicely on Germany and Japan. Just curious, why do you have a problem with guaranteeing that individuals will never lose their rights? Don't you think Iraqis would enjoy having the same individual freedoms that you do?

@dvandyke: I think whatever the Iraqis think, provided that the thought does'nt threaten Iraq itself, or Iraq's neighbors.

@ezinky: It would seem Muslim women enjoy having little to no rights and being possessions of men.

Sure.

Do you think it would be ok for 2 parties to rule forever?

Absolutely not, but that's not a constitutional thing. I encourage all my friends to vote for third parties the same as I do.

You missunderstand me I have nothing against Iraqis enjoying freedoms. I just think they should be totaly free to choose ANY govenment thay wish.

Originally posted by Enemy Ace

@ezinky: It would seem Muslim women enjoy having little to no rights and being possessions of men.

How often do they get to vote on the matter?

You missunderstand me I have nothing against Iraqis enjoying freedoms. I just think they should be totaly free to choose ANY govenment thay wish.

As long as whatever government they choose doesn't take away their right to vote it out of power, we are most likely agreed.

Top Bottom