Iraq protests

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Socrates99, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Patine

Patine Deity

Like every, single member of the Central Intelligence Agency, one of the very worst terrorist organizations (and matching the current definition of such an organization issued by the U.S. Department of State in activity and motivation) in the history of the modern world?

yung.carl.jung likes this.
  2. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

Why are you derailing the conversation? There are lots of terrorist in the world today. One less is a good thing.

abradley likes this.
  3. Patine

Patine Deity

No nation built on the foundations of any of the three Abrahamic Religions as a legal and historical basis should EVER consider the use of nuclear fission anything but one of the highest blasphemies yet committed. It's too bad there's not very many people in the world today who REALLY follow and adhere to any of the Abrahamic Religions at all - but a Hell of a lot of people who claim, and live under, a lie and false pretense of doing so for the vilest of ulterior motives.

Socrates99 likes this.
  4. Patine

Patine Deity

Not if you have to become a war criminal yourself to have such a trophy. Then you become no better, and have no higher ground, than this terroristic general. It's like one gangster kills another over drug-dealing turf.

5. Birdjaguar

The US military has staked claim on the action and not the CIA. Can't you get beyond whataboutism?

6. Birdjaguar

US law requires notice to congress before assassinations; any bets on whether Trump made such notice?

7. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

He was also a serving member of the Iranian military. Calling someone a terrorist when they are a serving member of a foreign military acting under the authority of/ on the order of said foreign government gets very dicey very fast and opens up the US to much the same charges.

I won't be shedding any tears on his account, but let's not pretend this is a small thing.

I'm betting this was an entirely Trump and his immediate advisors generated idea. The fact the Pentagon said this was done "at the direction of the president" indicates they aren't trying to take credit for this. I quick checked the announcements of other prominent military actions and didn't see similar language, although I'd be happy to see statements to the contrary.

8. Patine

Patine Deity

I've already explained to MaryKB how that non-word, and it's close cousin, "strawman," are not real terms of discussion or debate. They are terms used when someone says something overly bold, is called on the flaws of it, but refuses to discuss it or defend it, but wants to just tuck it away and never have to deal with it again. "Anti-terms," in terms of any productive discussion, meant to artificially shut down and not have to deal with stupid things someone has said and been called out on. Please, do not use either term in a post to me again, or the appropriate and deserved derision and contempt will be given to either "non-term," or "anti-term," used.

9. GamezRule

GamezRule Inconceivable!

I wonder if we'll have an objective this time? Seriously though, the reality of the situation sadly is that the US cannot make any progress toward withdrawing from the Middle East in a stable state as long as Iran exists in its current form. We never should have invaded Iraq in the first place, but we must live in the present and not the past. It's no secret that Iran has been supporting some very undesirable characters, though, and we've been in a proxy war with them for some time now.

10. Patine

Patine Deity

Assassination by the U.S. military, or that of any civilized nation with any standard of rule of law above the feudal, theocratic, or despotic level, should NEVER be legal under any circumstances.

Moriarte likes this.
  11. Imaus

Imaus King

We have no confirmation an escalation to a total armed conflict will occur. Iran will react, yes. But my money is on near immediate militia reprisals, nothing much more. Iran can cut them off and use them as needed.

12. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

wow some awesome hyperbole in here, my favorite is Patine's ranting about common word usage and how all the heathens below him are unworthy to talk to anyone so learned and great and aloof as he The Labelless Patine.

The Iran proxy war will continue, we don;t have the willpower to follow through and they can't turn back.

13. luiz

luiz Trendy Revolutionary

Neither iran nor the US want a war, so there won't be one. That said, Iran will certainly retaliate. Possibly via some of their proxies such as Hezbollah.

14. mitsho

mitsho Deity

The best take I've read so far is one question (on vox):

"Do you trust the Trump administration to have planned for the consequences of this action and to manage what comes next?"

So yeah, this might get very bad very soon. Cyber War retaliation seems to be the first possibility, but all options are on the table. Did Trump want a war to increase his re-election chances? We'll see.

15. choxorn

choxorn Watermelon Headcrab

I can't see how airstriking a top Iranian general is anything but bad, even if that guy was himself a pretty bad dude.

16. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Escaped Lunatic

Trump has been and still is less of a warmonger than all of them. Right now Iran can afford a hot war far less than the US can.

I don't blame you for seizing on this as proof that finally, finally, after years of deescalation with China, North Korea, Turkey, and Russia, the liberal fever dream of a huge Trump-sparked war look like it's coming true. Sadly, you won't get this one right either.

This is really appalling. Thought people here were above Iran-shilling.

It's a response to the embassy attack (Soleimani was Iran's major actor in Iraq and Syria). I'm not saying if it was the right decision, I don't know that, but retaliation is an essential tool in foreign policy.

Where does it say this? I'm guessing this is going to be a talking point all over the liberal media, making its veracity hard to check.

17. r16

r16 not deity

israeli attacks on Iran , actual troops and proxies in the field , were failing . Neither reversing the general defeat of the Irresuction nor "gaining" immunity for Netanyahu . America stepped in , Iran reacted with rocket fire , the killed contractor is just an accident , considering the averages of rocket fire into airfields since Vietnam . America attacked , killing people . Iran reacted with not so much stuff . The Embassy was occupied after giving clear opening for the US to evacuate . This ? Well , Trump is awesome and he is not deescalating from fighting with New Turkey , because come on , who believes New Turkey is anything but an American puppet . The possibility of actual war in Libya where one side of the American plot can decisively hurt the election prospects of the second side , so , well , distraction ...

18. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

Are you for real? This is as close to a declaration of war as it gets, you think Iraq was bad? This is worse.

This could escalate and get VERY bad VERY quickly.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  19. uppi

uppi Deity

One less, multiple new ones added. Great job!

20. plarq

plarq Crazy forever

With the power disparity like US-Iran rivalry, the war button is entirely decided on Pentagon.

Thorvald of Lym and El_Machinae like this.