1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Iraq protests

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Socrates99, Jan 2, 2020.

1. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

Hmmmn, that's because they're taking advantage of freedom of religion. It's private people, in a free country, doing bad things. Getting a tax-deduction, sure, but it's still going to be worse in a theocracy that is dedicated to violence against queer people. The exports from nearly any religious institution is going to be a mixed bag, depending on how the faith meets their partisan bias. We have seen enough faiths successfully update their beliefs on LGBTQ issues that we know that it's something deeper that people aren't capable of 'updating'.

2. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Yeah, ;)
    But We have a lot to answer for too. And It's never a good idea to demonize your opponent. I think it can lead to bad decision making.
    This place provides many examples of this.

3. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

Remember, 'and you hang Negroes'?

It was a deflection of a greater evils. "But we're bad too" is a necessary self-criticism, but I don't think it should be allowed as a deflection from a pretty terrible thing.

4. luiz

luiz Trendy Revolutionary

I agree. I wouldn't pursue regime change in Iran or anything like that. And I don't think lecturing Iran and other Muslim countries on how repressive and backwards they are will achieve much.

But we should always keep that in mind nevertheles. The Iranian regime hangs gays with cranes. They brutalize the Baha'i and other minorities. They blew up a synagogue in faraway Latin America just to make a point (and because they hate Jews). We (as in the West) will never see eye to eye with the ayatollahs and they will always be our adversaries. We don't have to fight them, but there will be no harmony either.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  5. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Didn't mean to use it as a deflection. I was going more for self-criticism. I just think a little of that is necessary before we start tossing around the "EVIL" word. I guess I have to pay a bit more attention to how I word it.

El_Machinae likes this.
  6. red_elk

red_elk Deity

I highly doubt 80 Americans were killed in that attack, but apparently the bases were hit, so there could be some casualties. And USA has the reasons to hide them.

7. rah

rah Deity Supporter

I don't know about that. There's no way it can be kept secret, It would eventually come out, and that would make Trump look really bad so I can't see him going along with it. But then we are talking about Trump.

El_Machinae likes this.
  8. luiz

luiz Trendy Revolutionary

The US cannot hide dead American soldiers dude.

9. red_elk

red_elk Deity

Depends on the number and he doesn't need to hide casualties, only circumstances of their death.

10. rah

rah Deity Supporter

If it can out that they killed ANY US citizens and Trump didn't have the balls to hit them back..............

11. civvver

civvver Deity

The US government does not have discriminatory policies, now that reproductive health care coverage has been mandated and anti gay marriage laws have been struck down by the supreme court. So I don't really understand why people would not say the US is good. There are people in the US who are bad, but the US government doesn't actively discriminate against it's own citizens. You can say what you want about non citizens and travel bans and immigration policies.

12. rah

rah Deity Supporter

The trump packed courts may eventually change your opinion on that.

hobbsyoyo and Thorvald of Lym like this.
  13. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

Yeah, Obama did that and should have been locked up.

If cover ups make a regime evil, then Trump is pretty much among the most evil.

14. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

just because it’s not supposed to does not immense it doesn’t. Especially if you expand this past the federal government.

Thorvald of Lym likes this.
  15. choxorn

choxorn Watermelon Headcrab

Maybe a lot of the discrimination isn't active, but just the lack of protection from discrimination is also a big problem. In a lot of states it's legal to fire someone or deny them housing for being gay or transgender.

hobbsyoyo and Thorvald of Lym like this.
  16. civvver

civvver Deity

You would have to give me examples and almost all of them will be anecdotal. The fact is people at various levels of government may discriminate, but what policies actually treat lbgt or minorities differently? If anything they have additional protections including programs to encourage diversity in hiring, education etc. Other countries still have laws on the books that say husbands can't be indicted for crimes against their wives for example, because they view the women as property.

California just passed a law that says employers can't pass dress codes that discriminate against certain hairstyles. We're heading in the right direction.

17. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

I'd still take my chances with them over with the jihadi sunni head-cutters exported, armed and financed by Saudi Arabia and the US. Not that either is a good place.

Iran, by the way, still has half a million christians living there. Syria still has christians living where the syrian government rules.
    There are no christians in Saudi Arabia. But somehow Saudi Arabia is under no sanctions even while being the number one sponsor of terrorism worldwide by casualties caused. Instead they are dear allies of the "west".

And what cover up is that? The crash is so far being investigated strictly according to international agreements and guidelines. Iran's claim that it was not a missile will either be proven or disprove in due time. They allowed access to the site, had international experts in, and published ample evidence already about the crash in the way of film and pictures. If that was a "cover up" is must have been the most amazingly incompetent ever.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    tamyrlin likes this.
  18. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Would you say it was worse than the US coverup of what the USS Vincennes was responsible for?
    Both were ****ups the governments responsible for tried to pretend didn't happen.

Thorvald of Lym likes this.
  19. red_elk

red_elk Deity

Comparing to Iran, USA is more civilized of course. In many different aspects.
    But it doesn't make USA right in this conflict. Throughout history, colonists and slave traders were also coming from more developed and civilized countries than colonies. It was never a reason to sympathize them.

20. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

Either that or the White House crystal ball told the administration it was imminent, really imminent, but the other details were foggy:
    "There is no doubt that there were a series of imminent attacks that were being plotted by Qassem Soleimani, and we don’t know precisely when and we don’t know precisely where, but it was real"
    Trump has a personal crystal ball that told him only the where was Baghdad, because he is the special big boss.

It would make sense for the 737 to have been shot down by a mistaken AA missile launch. But I'll take more than an unclear video and word coming from the people with the crystal balls to establish that. That's the price paid in credibility when lying becomes the expected norm.

hobbsyoyo likes this.