iron0037's America Map

Discussion in 'Other Sid Meier Games' started by iron0037, Jan 23, 2007.

1. iron0037

iron0037 Warlord

A while back, I was frustrated by the lack what I considered a good map of the Americas for Colonization. I made this sometime in 2005 for my own use. Several revisions came out as I played the game. I haven't touched it in a while and figure it's as good as it's going to get.

So if there's anyone out there that still plays, here you go. I'm attaching a screenshot; sorry about all the cities as I couldn't figure out how to screen capture my DOS map editor.

Enjoy,
    -iron0037

Attached Files:

2. dalgo

dalgo Emperor

That's a great map Will :goodjob:

I especially appreciate the opportunity to bridge the ismus with a single city for a quick route to the West Coast (the previous America map didn't allow that). I haven't fired up Colonization for a while but when I next play I'll try out your map.

3. Grand Dad

Grand Dad Chieftain

It's undoubtably a better map than that in the game...does it have the same resources and tribes...cities and villages?

Good Luck & PEACE!!!

4. iron0037

iron0037 Warlord

Thanks for the feedback guys. The resources and tribes are the same as the normal game; it's just a map variation. I mention in the notes that tribe locations are a little strange due to I'm guessing internal hard-coded tribe placement rules.

I also should mention that the screenshot is slightly out of date. I converted much of the tip of Brazil to swamp/marsh to dissuade colonization there. Even to this day, it isn't a terribly populated region. You are welcome to change it back if you prefer :).

5. Grand Dad

Grand Dad Chieftain

Bridging the Isthmus is more important in Civ if you choose the Earth Map, but here in Colonization too it helps in shortening the westward journey :)

6. spycatcher34

spycatcher34 Emperor

Thank you very much, I was looking for a new map to play on just the other day and was frustrated when I couldn't find anything worth wasting my time on.

7. dalgo

dalgo Emperor

I have just completed a game on this map using a 'West Coast' strategy. I chose the Dutch because of their faster ship and crossed to the Pacific at Panama,then sailed up the west coast until I found silver near Seattle. I had very little contact with the other Europeans for the whole game and with the local indians being the friendly Inca it was mostly a building/economic game, with just a little piracy thrown in. I won in 1681 for a score of 2295 (the French beat me to independence).

One interesting occurrence was that the French somehow managed to strand a ship in the St Lawrence and it was there for most of the game.

Thanks for the map.

8. Grand Dad

Grand Dad Chieftain

With or without the map Colonization remains a very good game after Civ. Microsoft with their AOE series I - III and Sierra with Empire Earth tried to better it but without success :(.

9. iron0037

iron0037 Warlord

@dalgo:
    Glad you enjoyed it. I have never attempted a west coast run...it sounds rather difficult to pull off. You had colonies all the way down by the Inca? Impressive :).

The Pacific Northwest is actually supposed to be one tile wider in the corner. I didn't realize the game clips land on the east-west edges.

10. dalgo

dalgo Emperor

In fact I only had 8 colonies, in my game the Inca had settled in California :lol:

11. Ari Rahikkala

Ari Rahikkala Chieftain

Ay, it seems that the author accidentally left that as a sea lane instead of an ocean tile, so AI ships coming from Europe can spawn in it. It's easily fixable using the map editor.