Ironman mode

Alphons Rodulfo

weakling
You probably know the idea: when a game is played in ironman mode reloading is not allowed. All your decisions are final and you have to live with the mistakes you made. This makes gameplay much more intense, and in my experience you make better decisions too, because so much depends on it.

It would be great to have an official ironman mode in civ 6. It should not be too hard to implement. And it would be very nice to have for the civ 6 Game Of The Month series.

This sounds like how I'm going to play regardless. Reloading when something doesn't go my way sounds kind of cheap. So bring on ironman mode.

Ironman mode would be cool regarding no savescumming, but problematic regarding achievements because in civ5 any single player unmodded game could give you achievements :c

I would LOVE this feature, I really hope Firaxis decides to throw this in.

I try my best not to savescum, but having an ironman mode enabled just gives me a totally different feeling (I don't backup the ironman save files to other locations.); things are much more exciting and decisions become more weighty. I always play Stellaris with it enabled.

I certainly like the idea of not reloading when things go badly, but I'm not sure what the benefit of making it an official game mode would be. There's nothing stopping you from playing ironman style in a game where reloading is possible.

You clearly don't know me very well at all.

:(

I'd love an Ironman mode. Help keep me honest. Worked for XCOM and it'll work for Civ.

So I suppose that would work by not being able to quit the game without saving?

For me personally, it's probably not needed; I used save and load in earlier civilizations because of the all-or-nothing combat system, but with civ 5 having the new combat system (that civ 6 also seems to have), you don't really feel as cheated anymore with bad odds, because your tank still won't just die to that spearman.

I'm not sure what benefit an "official" version would have. Steam achievements are meaningless anyway , so what's wrong with just not using autosaves and not saving the game unless you want to close it?

I'm not sure what benefit an "official" version would have. Steam achievements are meaningless anyway , so what's wrong with just not using autosaves and not saving the game unless you want to close it?

It's probably because some people have poor self-control and would rather use an actual feature to functionally disable it.

As far as topic goes, I'm not really for or against the Ironman thing; it's not how I care to play, but I don't mind if it's present.

Top Bottom