1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ironworks???

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by georgedv, Dec 28, 2005.

1. georgedv

georgedv Chieftain

I have read that ironworks is a good wonder. I do not understand its description +50% iron +50% coal and what it does.

thanks

2. Lord Foortwenti

Lord Foortwenti Chieftain

Ironworks is a great wonder,

Off the bat it adds, I THINK +50% production to it's city, than if that city has access to, I THINK coal and/or iron, it adds +25% production for each of those. So, if a city has access to both of those resources the Iron Works adds +100% production to it's city.

3. Yuri2356

Yuri2356 Test Screening

If your city has Coal or Iron in its radius, it gets an extra 50% production. If it has both, it gets +100% production.

Edit: Is it conneciton, or in-city for Civ IV? I'm not really sure...

4. cleverhandle

cleverhandle King

+50% for iron, +50% for coal, no "intrinsic" bonus. The resources need only be connected, not actually in the city's radius.

Iron Works is an incredible wonder. Think of Heroic Epic, but with a bonus that applies to everything and not just military. Very helpful for building those expensive late game wonders. The only drawbacks are the -2 health and the fact that it arrives rather late in the game.

5. Crimso

Crimso ...aaaaaagh!

cleverhandle is correct.

6. Errata

Errata Warlord

I'm guessing that the modifiers to production stack in an additive way like other bonuses in the game and not a multiplicative way? e.g. forge +25%, factory +75%, ironworks +100% = +200% = triple production rate, and not 1.25*1.75*2 = +340%). So a real city will actually experience less than double its production after building the ironworks, and if that city also has the heroic epic, they will still only stack linearly.

7. cleverhandle

cleverhandle King

IW stacks linearly with forges and factories just as you describe. I've never put it in the same city as Heroic Epic, but I'd be very surprised if that worked any differently.

8. calyth

calyth /bin/sh of a man

From all the modifiers that I've seen they've chosen to make them additive instead of mulitplicative.

9. vbraun

vbraun Raytracing

I try to put the Ironworks in my city with the Heroic Epic for super fast military production, if I can't get West Point in it first.