Iroquois guide to Progress

infidel88

Prince
Ok, so plenty of people were asking - how come progress is so good, how to play progress, how to do this and that. There are civs, which are better suited to play progress than others (Carthage, Germany come to mind) and IRQ are among them. Why? Fuel for progress are connected cities - IRQ give you that for free. With forest start, you're almost guaranteed to be able to build few cities within range and don't even bother with workers for some time. In addition, your UB is going to get you plenty of 3:c5food:2:c5production: tiles, which will railroad you to victory. Ill guide you for some 80 turns so far, will do the rest over few days.

Map - Large, Continents. Difficulty - Emperor. No special options or mods, except for flags over units all are graphical;

Most likely we will go progress -> piety -> industry -> order, my standard path, and will win tourism victory easily :)

T1 - starting position is lovely - we loooooove trees, so the more trees, the better for us :) Let's move SW, so we can build city on forest and get :c5production: to build scout next turn.
T10 - keep exploring, remember to avoid barbs and walk mostly in forests, where your warrior is as good as scout; got gold from hut so I rushbought shrine. We won't need workers early on, so might spend all gold as soon as we can. In capital we need shrine (we want religion!), monument and longhouse. Then we move to settlers and mohawks. Other cities will follow this pattern.
T22 - Beeline towards calendar to get longhouse up asap. In most cities longhouse will get us 1:c5food::c5production: per worked tile! Once we hit 3rd policy, we go for Pyramids asap!
T33 - Upon discovering calendar, go for trapping to find deers if there are any and beeline to iron working; choosing pantheon is easy in this game - renewal (this will require some micro in cities though), but commerce is also decent option;
T37 - we started to build Pyramids. Also met Ethiopia (will be killed) and Denmark (far away, but will come for us one day probably), also cleared camp for Bratislava, giving nice culture boost; 3rd policy (1st was free worker) was a tough one, but since we want mohawks asap to clear barbs and defend from Danes, we go for 3:c5food::c5science: in connected cities. Forests give us free connections! In other conditions, 2:c5gold::c5production: per city may be better, as you won't have enough workers and gold to build roads anyway.
T43 - Pyramids on the way - on previous maps you could notice flags for city placements. Remember to rushbuy buildings mentioned above;
T56 - we got pyramids and keep building settlers, we want to block Ethopia from coming our way and chopping trees;
T61 - I doubt anyone in the world has such science output. All cities are focused on :c5production:, as they have base 5:c5food:3:c5production:2:c5gold: tile. And we don't want to grow too much and make our people unhappy, do we? We also started to build mohawks, need like 5 of them after finishing shrines, religion was a priority;
T71 - game is won. I don't know what happened to Ethiopia, but they will fall to us quite soon, they have SoTD pantheon, so should expand to the north until it will be too late; Vikings would be much better taking sky and stars god, but took war-god without suitable enemy nearby. One less opponent to worry about religion.

If anyone wants starting save or got any questions - let me know.

This is interesting. Could you write down the part sof your guide that would apply to every game, rather than just to this one?

T78 - Literally couple of turns after we finished last session, Denmark came. This happens often when against Harald. Well, they wanted it - 3 archers and 3 warriors are no match for our Mohawks! In meantime up north, settler going to get a port city got assaulted by barbs :( We have to save him before Ethiopia takes over; Oh, and Indonesia came. Don't know where from;
T85 - Religion can be founded. Ok, going wide we will lack :c5culture: and :c5science:. Don't need :c5faith: - will have plenty from shrines, temples and piety policy tree. Why Theocratic Rule? We're aiming at 14 cities for now - in my opinion the best way of spending Great Merchant will be WLTKD in each city and Theo will give nice boost to it;
T92 - We took war to Harald on both fronts, have tech advantage and he doesnt have walls - no match for our Mohawks. 11 of them is almost enough, now back to building settlers and since we have full policy tree, we can start pumping building. Each is cheaper to build and gives us :c5food::c5gold:. Oh! And :c5food: from buildings gives :c5citizen: and they also produce bonuses. Right now we focus on longhouses and monuments. It's also time to start pumping councils and granaries. Anything that is cheap basically. Later on some walls to fight crime. Yes, we will swing around some :c5unhappy: all the time. It's a non-issue as long as we don't go -10; Also - taking tribute from CS is a good idea ;)
T100 - how the hell Harald get a city there? Viborg must be destroyed. We beeline to Angkor Wat (it's not necessary, but I love to build it) and after getting currency, it's top of the tree all the time. First target - Oracle!
T107 - Viborg fell, Kaupang fell and Harald wants to give us his 2nd city? Yes please and burn it to the ground - he will be no competition. When building cities, remember to place roads between patches of forest if needed. Road structure is still key. look at Ribe - imagine this city of Harald took Sky and Stars 10 plots of extra :c5culture::c5faith::c5production:!
T116 - we have only 3 cities left to build and for sim city (and hardest priod of the game) to start. Since we overexpanded a little (on purpose), our science may suffer a bit. No worries though, we will catch up! Meanitme, we upgraded religion - :c5science: per citizen and Zealotry. Why the latter - soon with piety we will hit like 120-150 :c5faith: per turn. That means one free unit per turn. And we can focus our precious :c5production: on buildings.
T124 - lucky 'gift of craftsman' event and we can burn GE for that Oracle.
T135 - Anything to add? And Vikings are coming to our city spot again. I smell war!
T140 - we're ready. As you can see on minimap - scouting fishing boats found Indonesia.
T147 - ok, I underestimated Harald. And he has berserkers now. Ouch. We have to get Kaupang and force peacy treaty on him. Meanwhile we build specialized cities and - after 1st policy in piety - pump 2 missionaries and give religion to key cities. Specialized cities right now will rushbuy diplo units with :c5gold: and army with :c5faith: - thats also the reason we beeline for Alhambra. And build it in city with Heroic Epic. It's also time to stop harrasing CS. Maritime are key, as all our cities benefit from them.
T153 - next beelines are classic next era beelines. Remember, once we hit next era, we get more stuff from buildings created and citizens born! When it comes for policies - since we have that many cities, policy to choose now is of course syncretism, which means +3:c5science: and 2:c5production: in every city, as you surely have markets there by now.
T158 - we send missionaries to Indonesia, because - why not. War with Danes is hard but now we have knights and should get easier. Note - Since we took zealotry, I didn't build a single unit except workers.

See you tomorrow.

This is interesting. Could you write down the part sof your guide that would apply to every game, rather than just to this one?
It's just different build orders. As Germany you don't go for longhouse/herbalist and beeline hansa. As Carthage it's even easier to expand with buying workers.
If you can't get zealotry - thats bad, as you don't have anything to spend faith until Glory of God on and have to build/buy units.

Top Bottom