Iroquois Tech strategy

Ferigno

Chieftain
I'm sure I've been doing this all wrong, but I typically try to get Calendar as fast as possible so I can build stonehenge. I can get it nearly every time. Then I go try to reveal iron, then engineering for the lumbermills, and finally whatever allows me to get the longhouse.

Basically, that's the only thing I've come up with, but I obviously recognize that I'm throwing dice at what I think is useful. Does anyone have a better idea for my native peoples?

Thanks again for any help.

Like the build order, it depends on what you're trying to do! If you're going for a culture win, then definitely go for stonehenge. If you want to possibly go for conquest or domination, I like to get to each strong military tech (horse, iron, gunpowder, etc) as quickly as possible.

I searched the forum and found an interesting strategy for beelining to Civil by building the great library immediately. That's pretty solid for a start. I'm kinda wondering if the iroquois would merit going right through to get the longhouse after discovering iron.

I just played an emperor game with Hiawatha. I did the civil service sling by building the Great Library, then followed with Library National College. I was ahead in science very early and stayed ahead the whole game.

I stayed at one city until national college was built. I took tradition and aristocracy. Then I followed this by spamming settlers, building and buying. I settled the rivers and lakes and built farms growing the cities very rapidly and built libraries and later universities.

Tech to Metal Casting and engineering get longhouses and lumbermills going.
You end up with a very powerful capital that you can wonderwhore with, or build a massive army and conquer.

This seemed like one of the better strategies I've tried post patch for science.

I have tried the slingshot to civil 3 times and each time it gets built about 3 turns before I get it. I go straight to writing, but it takes me forever to tech animal husbandry, trapping, and philosophy. I have the great library ready to go about 10 turns before I can tech enough so I can slingshot to civil service.

How are you guys pulling that off? I'm only playing King and I still get beat to the great library. Are you using the national college in there?

you need alot of food and a little luck. A start with fish, deer, and wheat is what works best. With Iriquois you will get that start fairly often. The teching is the lag. If you have deer preferably more than one tech to trapping first then writing.

Go Scout monument. You need a monument up asap for extra tiles and aristocracy. Then build a worker if you can't steal oe.

The timing is a bit tricky you might have to swap in a few turns on a library while you are waiting to reach philosophy. Then you just have to hope Ramses isn't in the game.

Got it to work on emperor quite a few times. I came two turns away on immortal, I think it can be done but need some luck.

I think on immortal+ its a better play to skip the Great Library and build the National College instead. Then spam cities. You don't need luck with the National College route.

The payout of the CS sling is very very tempting if you goody hut the right stuff though.

Here is an immortal game in which I goody hutted the right type of stuff.
Its on turn 7. I just hutted 30 culture and pottery.
Opened scout momument. Looks like im going to have to build a worker next, no one to steal one from nearby. The great library will probably go on turn 36 with my luck.

Attachments

• Hiawatha_0007 BC-3720.Civ5Save
    441.6 KB · Views: 117
Never mind my savegame, the library went on turn 36 as I predicted.
If the AI goes for the GL your not gonna get it on immortal.
On lower levels probably could have got it, would have picked up philosophy and GL on turn 46.
It don't think it matters if you go trapping or writing first your restricted by how fast you can tech. Trapping first helped get the tech up a bit sooner and timed it out right.

Oh well can go Library NC now and buy a settler with the cash I got from missing the GL and selling open borders.

GL is a crapshoot on immortal, and lost cause on deity. You will be a much stronger player if you do not incorporate 1st tier wonders into your BO. Instead, run library-NL, then settler spam while rushing towards either Education or Steel, depending on proximity to neighbors and how much warmongering you are planning.

Top Bottom