Is a hamburger a sandwich?

I think I started typing a response to this, left it in a tab, and then forgot about it..

Different in which places?

Well, it appears to me that for example even the British and American meaning of the word "sandwich" is slightly different. I see even more stark contrasts between English and the other languages I know.

Gori the Grey said:
I think "sandwich" works this way. It names a broad category that includes hamburgers and, maddeningly, sandwiches.

I think this comment explains why there is disagreement.

But I also just actually learned that in Polish "sandwich" also includes hamburger sandwiches, although there is a very historical understanding of the word "sandwich" which is a light snack with butter, meat, mustard, vegetables, on a bun cut in two or a slice of bread.

The hamburger is a new arrival on the global sandwich scene and has not yet gained full acceptance into the sandwich family. But I myself am now welcoming the hamburger sandwich. I have meditated on the subject over the last couple days and the answer is clear: there are meta-sandwiches, and regular sandwiches. And all meta-sandwiches have the right to be called sandwiches, even if they are not regular sandwiches. They are all sandwiches and they stand equally before us as such.

Sand - Witch xD

So .... anyone up for the sandwitches ? ^^

Well it kinda does not look like a witch but I would still burn it ..... (my culinary skills are poor apparently)

I'm not sure that the breading on the chicken really qualifies as "bread", in which case it wouldn't be a sandwich IMO, since one of the absolute requirements of a sandwich is that it's on bread.

But that said, I barely qualify KFC as food, much less worry about how to classify it.

I'm not sure that the breading on the chicken really qualifies as "bread", in which case it wouldn't be a sandwich IMO, since one of the absolute requirements of a sandwich is that it's on bread.

But that said, I barely qualify KFC as food, much less worry about how to classify it.

You've got a point there ! No bread no sand-witch ! ;)

While it may not qualify as food, that double down thing is great! :p Yum!

Sandwich or no?

At last! A question worthy of the gravitas of this thread.

I don't know, but I do know it's delicious.

Also to those saying it doesn't have bread: the chicken breasts are technically breaded and fried.

The Double Down is a genius deconstruction of the sandwich genre and could not exist without sandwiches as a reference point. Asking if it is a sandwich is like asking if something is art.

I can't believe this thread got 92 replies so far!

Referring to a burger as a sandwich is just needless confusion. If I ask for a sandwich, my expectation is two slices of bread containing some sort of filling. If I ask for a burger, the expectation is a bread roll with some sort of meat patty on it. Calling both sandwiches is a good way to be disappointed.

Referring to a burger as a sandwich is just needless confusion. If I ask for a sandwich, my expectation is two slices of bread containing some sort of filling. If I ask for a burger, the expectation is a bread roll with some sort of meat patty on it. Calling both sandwiches is a good way to be disappointed.

Seems to me that just asking for a generic sandwich or a generic burger is likely to lead to disappointment. Either one is a valid starting point, but to get what you want you have to give details or you just get what you get.

Seems to me that just asking for a generic sandwich or a generic burger is likely to lead to disappointment. Either one is a valid starting point, but to get what you want you have to give details or you just get what you get.

If I go to a cafe and they have a "chicken sandwich" on the menu, I'm expecting pieces of chicken between two slices of bread. If I order that and instead get a chicken burger, I'm going to be disappointed because they weren't clear that they meant a chicken burger.

There's no reason to call a burger a sandwich unless your aim is to confuse.

Bread has to act as a container or wrapper.
What about open faced sandwiches?

There's no reason to call a burger a sandwich unless your aim is to confuse.
What if you own a factory that produces frozen hamburgers. It would make sense to refer the finished product as a sandwich because if you called it a hamburger people might confuse it for the ground meat ingredient.

Top Bottom