1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is a hamburger a sandwich?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BvBPL, Mar 15, 2015.

1. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Why do you say that wraps and burritos should be considered differently? A burrito is stuff wrapped up in a thing, and so is a wrap. If one is a sandwich, so is the other.

2. NetGear

NetGear King

hamburgers as sandwiches... its like taco bell calling their steak as beef.

3. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Wait. Taco bell do beef? I thought they must be a cheese-related franchise.

As in Babybel and minibels. Though why you'd want those in a taco shell I never did fathom.

I can see I'll have to readjust my world-view once again.

4. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

They are a "Mexican" food store. I used the quotes because real Mexican food has no similarities to what Taco Bell puts out.

5. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Ah. So it's tortillas and chili all the way.

6. Lohrenswald

Lohrenswald 老仁森林

Well, the thing is that hamburgersandwiches are a subset of sandwiches, so there naturally wouldn't be equivalence. A sandwich doesn't have to imply a hamburgersandwich, but a hamburgersandwich impies a sandwich.

It translates to butterbread, but you don't always use butter. Personally I usually just call it bread slices. And by the way, this is the sensible way to eat bread.

7. Owen Glyndwr

Owen Glyndwr La Femme Moderne

Because one is ingredients stacked between two slices of bread or two halves of bread. The other is ingredients wrapped in a single, uncut piece of flatbread. They have bread and ingredients, but beyond that they aren't the same thing at all.

8. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

Wraps are closer to sandwiches than are burritos, additionally, because one tends to hold a wrap in one's hand, as one does a sandwich, but tends to eat a burrito with a knife and fork.

We're going to have to design a continuum.

9. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I think you misread what I wrote - I was asking what the fundamental difference between wraps and burritos is.

They're both wrapped up using a single uncut piece of flatbread.

Really? I have only ever eaten burritos with my hands.

10. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

I'm amazed this thread has continued so long. I didn't think it would make it past page 1.

Who'd have thought sandwiches would be such a vast subject?

11. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

It's a turkey roll, not a turkey sandwich.

I have no idea what that means.

I don't think it's ridiculous at all. Calling everything a sandwich is just needlessly confusing.

12. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

^^Oh, we're just getting started, Mister Io.

I have dozens of follow up questions for when the thread slows down.

It's gonna become a serial thread, I can see it.

13. Commodore

Commodore Deity

Same. The only burrito I ever ate with utensils is the smothered burrito at Taco Bell. That's because they cover the whole thing in sauce, so if you don't mind getting sauce all over yourself, I guess you could eat that one with your hands too.

14. Owen Glyndwr

Owen Glyndwr La Femme Moderne

I consider a burrito to be a wrap.

15. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Yeah, but I was asking "what's the difference between a wrap and a burrito?"

and you responded with

and that confused me.

Either way, I agree that burritos and a wraps can be both classified as meta-wraps.

16. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

There are lots of better places to get a burrito covered in sauce than at a Taco Bell. Come visit and we will expand your burrito horizons.

I thought meta wrap being distinct from meta sandwich was a good distinction to start with, and I think Gori has provided conclusive support with the point regarding verbs.

17. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

I suspect the peculiarity lies with the American usage (surprise, surprise). Before entering this thread I had never conceived of the possibility of someone calling a hamburger a sandwich. Sandwiches and burgers are two separate categories. The former does not incorporate the latter or any other potential category such as sub, roll, or wrap. Really it's a matter of social convention, and the American social convention appears to be quite self-evidently wrong.

18. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

When considering the establishment of social conventions it should be noted there are a lot more Americans saying sandwich than there are Australians saying 'sub' or 'roll' so if we apply weight by usage the American convention will be correct. Someone asks me if I want a sub I will say that I did my time in the navy. Someone asks if I want a roll I will assess what she looks like and decide how to answer.

19. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I think I almost know enough about sandwiches to create a venn diagram of sandwiches and wraps and meta versions thereof. But I don't really feel like doing that..

20. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

I save things like that for days when someone expects me to work, at which point they seem far more important.