Is America ready for a female President?

wit>trope said:
I did not use the word "glow"

wit>trope said:
2 Her countenance does not shine through her face (it doesn't really shine much at all)

Dictionary.com said:
http://thesaurus.reference.com/search?q=shine

Main Entry: shine Part of Speech: verb 1 Definition: light up Synonyms: beam, bedazzle, blaze, blink, burn, dazzle, deflect, emit light, flare, flash, flicker, give light, glare, gleam, glimmer, glisten, glitter, glow, illuminate, illumine, incandesce, irradiate, luminesce, mirror, radiate, scintillate, shimmer, sparkle, twinkle Source: Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.1.1)
Copyright © 2006 by Lexico Publishing Group, LLC. All rights reserved.
(Bolding mine.)

This is over, let's get back to the actual topic, please.

Sans the gap in her teath Dr. Rice is attractive. I don't care if shes radiant or not. Why do people think she anti-man?

The Yankee said:
(Bolding mine.)

This is over, let's get back to the actual topic, please.

Let's but I will note you

1) Chose the word most advantageous to you to disingenously support your position (you did not for instance look up the word "bright' where the first four definitions are all physical in nature)

2) Still refused to answer my question -- which is your right, but I hope you answer it still at least in your own mind

3) Don't understand what a thesarous is. You do NOT determinine the meaning of a word based on a thesarous entry -- you go to a dictionary for that. And when the speaker has clarified what he meant, you don't go to ANYTHING -- you take the speaker at his word as to what he meant ... that's what COMMUNICATION is all about!

4) Ignored the fact that this is completely irrelevant to how I used the word, and how I kept on clarifying how I was using the word.

skadistic said:
Sans the gap in her teath Dr. Rice is attractive. I don't care if shes radiant or not. Why do people think she anti-man?

Finally someone who admits that she may not be physically radiant. A refreshing breeze of truth admist all the PC nonsense!

I respect your opinion. Not sure why you bold the "Dr Rice" thing though. She is Miss Rice. I find people who insist on doctorates to be arrogant ... as if the title of Mister, Master, Mistress, or Miss are not good enough for them.

Cuivienen said:
You mean the guy who won only 27% of the vote against Barack Obama in Illinois? :lol:

That says more about Illinois than about Alan Keyes.

Actually it says more about the liberal media and liberal propaganda machine in Illionois than about Illinois people or Alan Keyes.

Barack Obama is also a powerful speaker (like Hitler or Buchanan or Reagan or Clinton ... well Clinton is more of a dazzler than a powerful orator). Alan Keyes just talks straight.

The reasoning behind it is that the title of doctor is earned through having the highest education possible. Back on topic...

It is sad that we as a society are still a long way away from accepting women in authorative positions. If a strong woman takes the stand and acts like a boss, people compare her to a female canine. If a man were to take the same actions, however, he would be referred to as a strong leader. Let us not forget that women still make less than men doing the same job (though the gap is shortening.) I would say a woman being elected as President will only happen when the current ruling generation dies off.

wit>trope said:
I did not use the word "glow"

Furthermore, in one of the posts you trashed I SPECIFIED in what sense I meant the term bright, brilliant, and radiant -- by contrasting it with a radiant personality -- you surely could not have missed it since I capitalized the key words.
I trashed that post because of where you were going with it.

Now let me ask you, in terms of PHYSICAL brightness, radiance, clarity, and brilliance, do you acknowledge that darker skin is an impediment to that? I'm not talking here about radiance in personality ... so don't dodge the question. Maybe you only include PERSONALITY in your evaluation of whether a person is attractive, but for me and for most people PHYSICAL ATTRACTIVENESS is just as important
If by this you mean Black is not White you are correct.:rolleyes: Using the commonly accepted meanings when these words are applied to people, I say CATEGORICALLY that it is not.

Appologies to Yankee and all others for the continuation.

Cierdan PM me if you still don't get it.

It's fine. I'd rather not fight over a word, even though thesauruses are useful and I used a verb to compare to the use of a word as a verb.

For Cierdan's last question...if it was about whether some scientist found more photons bounce off a white person than anyone else, my answer would be: So what? The only use I see for it is a $49.95 Pay-Per-View event "Photon Bounce for the Presidency."

wit>trope said:
Finally someone who admits that she may not be physically radiant. A refreshing breeze of truth admist all the PC nonsense!

I respect your opinion. Not sure why you bold the "Dr Rice" thing though. She is Miss Rice. I find people who insist on doctorates to be arrogant ... as if the title of Mister, Master, Mistress, or Miss are not good enough for them.

I bold Dr. Rice because people seem to forget she in fact has a degree. Arrogant? To be acknowleged for your hard work and extended education to be a cut above the rest isn't arrogent. If I were to make people say the Esq. after my name or insist on people writing it now thats arrogant.

Dr. Yoshi said:
If a strong woman takes the stand and acts like a boss, people compare her to a female canine. If a man were to take the same actions, however, he would be referred to as a strong leader.

And that's the way it should be. Women and men are different so treating them in the exact same way would be wrong because that means you are not APPRECIATING women and men for who they UNIQUELY are. Women can lead but they should lead in a different way than men. They should lead gently, not powerfully; rule with kindness, not with firmness.

Let us not forget that women still make less than men doing the same job (though the gap is shortening.)

I think that data is disputed by some people. You have to consider how much they make for the same job when both have the SAME qualifications and SAME seniority etc -- when you do that, I don't think there is any significant gap (there will always be SOME gap due to at least random variation -- something called "sigma" in statistics -- so trying to eliminate any gap is futile and goes against mathematics)

Also there are NONSEXIST reasons for why the gap may be there too. An employer may want to pay a MAN who is working for the whole household (as it should be -- one parent should stay at home, ideally the woman, but it could be the man too) MORE than ANOTHER MAN who is working and whose wife is working too. Why? Due to the concept of FAMILY actually being as important as individual -- a company has a SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY to give FAMILIES a living wage, a wage they can live off on. So if only the man is working, the company may pay the man more than if both the man and woman were working. Mathematically what this means is that average paid to men for the same job will be higher than the average paid to women, due to the fact that there are more housewives than housebands.

Dr. Yoshi said:
The reasoning behind it is that the title of doctor is earned through having the highest education possible. Back on topic...

It is sad that we as a society are still a long way away from accepting women in authorative positions. If a strong woman takes the stand and acts like a boss, people compare her to a female canine. If a man were to take the same actions, however, he would be referred to as a strong leader. Let us not forget that women still make less than men doing the same job (though the gap is shortening.) I would say a woman being elected as President will only happen when the current ruling generation dies off.
I'm not sure I agree with your timetable, but I understand your point. Even when Commander-in-Chief on ABC was announced (that show where a woman Vice President becomes President), there was talk about how it was merely a front for Hillary and if people will accept a woman TV President. Talk like that can hurt a campaign just like idle talk over other things that don't matter harmed other campaigns before.

wit>trope said:
1 She is less than beautiful ... as in ugly
2 Her countenance does not shine through her face (it doesn't really shine much at all)
3 For some reason her head is elongated in the horizontal direction ... as opposed to being elongated in the vertical direction or being more of a circle ... having a head elongated in the horizontal direction is just as bad or unattractive as having a torso or tummy elongated in the horizontal direction
4 She seems to be pro choice
6 She seems too focused about the concerns of Africa (not that there's anything wrong with Africa, but we shouldn't be focused about parts of the world that are not as critical in geopolitical drama -- we shouldn't be too concerned with say New Zealand or Canada either)
11 We do not want our first woman president to be this ugly

Is this a big work-around argument saying "she is black"?

wit>trope said:
5 Her IQ seems to be well well below 130 -- which I consider the absolute mininum IQ one needs to be president. The pro-Condi crowd is not touting any high IQ of Condi so we can safely assume she doesn't have one (it can be calculated from SAT scores)
7 Some of her international counterparts seem to not like her
8 She seems too stuck up or high strung, unwilling to apologize for anything (like to North Korea when a simply word would have brought to them to the table after she called the dictator a madman or something like that) and also unwilling to make light of situations (like of that Russian dude that criticized her for something and she said through a surrogate that she would not "dignify" that with a "response" ... this Russian politician also advocated taking back Alaska ... he's a funny guy!)
9 There is just no demonstration of her competence in domestic matters

Uhh, how many of these qualifier does the current president fail here? Does Bush show any higher signs of intelligence than Rice? However much the leaders of the other parts of the world hate Rice, did they ever hated Bush less? High strung and unwilling to apologize ... doesn't that remind you of someone? Lack of competence in domestic matters? Do we really have ot go there?

wit>trope said:
10 She is not a lawyer AFAIK and so she wouldn't have the discernment to authorize things like the secret NSA program ... to be fair Bush isn't either AFAIK, but Bush has a legal mind ... Condi has more of a political or policy-oriented mind ... a mind that DOES rather than thinks

Well, at least you are honest here.

Seriously, all the arguments you've made seemed to be evasions of one sort or another. Judging by the tone of your other posts on this thread, it seemed quite likely that your real reason for not liking her is that "she is black".

The Yankee said:
I'm not sure I agree with your timetable, but I understand your point. Even when Commander-in-Chief on ABC was announced (that show where a woman Vice President becomes President), there was talk about how it was merely a front for Hillary and if people will accept a woman TV President. Talk like that can hurt a campaign just like idle talk over other things that don't matter harmed other campaigns before.
I'm not sure that talking about it does not help as a whole. Even as it may injure specific candidates.

skadistic said:
I bold Dr. Rice because people seem to forget she in fact has a degree. Arrogant? To be acknowleged for your hard work and extended education to be a cut above the rest isn't arrogent. If I were to make people say the Esq. after my name or insist on people writing it now thats arrogant.

If Miss Rice were humble and carefree and truly self-deprecating -- none of which describe her -- not only would OTHERS forget but SHE HERSELF would forget she had a degree.

I'm reminded of the story of St Bonaventure who was awarded a kind of 'degree' -- cardinalte from the Pope himself who sent a legate to give him his red hat ... Bonaventure -- a great scholar akin to Aquinas -- told the legate to hang the hat on a tree while he finished washing the dishes. That's the kind of president we need ... not someone -- male or female -- who rudely and arrogantly insist on titles and honorifics or who hang on to them as if they are really important things. Much better for instance are the teachers who let you call them by their first names. Being insulted furthermore by being called "Mister" "Master" Mistress or Miss -- is an insult to ordinary people who only have these social titles. It also establishes a CASTE system or a class system. THIS IS NOTED in wikipedia's article on Austrian history, nobility law ... Austria got rid of all nobility (a bad move for reasons I won't get into) but somehow the population replaced it with an obsessive interest in preserving lots and lots of titles. Even in Germany people are often called: Mister Doctor General blah blah blah :crazyeye:

We keep calling the President the President or address him as "Mister President." Is that rude and arrogant also? Titles are titles and it is perfectly in one's right to say he or she would like to be addressed as "Doctor" if they are, indeed, one.

nihilistic said:
Is this a big work-around argument saying "she is black"?

I don't see how being "pro-choice" (which you listed) is related to being black. I honestly did not have any black connection in mind when I wrote she was pro-choice.

Uhh, how many of these qualifier does the current president fail here? Does Bush show any higher signs of intelligence than Rice?

yes he does. His IQ according to Google Answers is 129

http://www.answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=292960

Which being just 1 point below the mininum of 130 is close enough since his integrity makes up for it.

Condi's IQ is probably below 100 (IMO) -- we don't really know what her IQ is but NONE of her supporters -- and there are many -- tout any high IQ of Condi or high SAT score of Condi (from which an IQ can be derived as Google Answers did for Bush above) ... so it can't be TOO high sincce if it were her supporters would be touting it.

High strung and unwilling to apologize ... doesn't that remind you of someone?

Bush is described by liberal media as being willing to admit mistakes now about Iraq. So even liberal media contradicts you here.

Judging by the tone of your other posts on this thread, it seemed quite likely that your real reason for not liking her is that "she is black".

Not at all. I would not mind Alan Keyes as President for instance ... actually that's the only black person I can think of I'd support for president.

From the way american are voting, i think the chances of a female white president is much higher than a minority race president.

wit>trope said:
If Miss Rice were humble and carefree and truly self-deprecating -- none of which describe her -- not only would OTHERS forget but SHE HERSELF would forget she had a degree.

This is absurd. You clearly have never been in a room full of doctors. You clearly do not realize the work that goes into earning a Ph.D. You clearly are oblivious to the fact that the three traits you listed are not those of a leader of a world superpower.

wit>trope said:
It also establishes a CASTE system or a class system. THIS IS NOTED in wikipedia's article on Austrian history, nobility law ... Austria got rid of all nobility (a bad move for reasons I won't get into) but somehow the population replaced it with an obsessive interest in preserving lots and lots of titles. Even in Germany people are often called: Mister Doctor General blah blah blah :crazyeye:

Ah, but you are not born a doctor. Whether you are rich, poor, black, white, anyone can become one if they have the dedication. If you were born a doctor then there might be some truth in comparing doctors to nobility and the caste system.

wit>trope said:
And that's the way it should be. Women and men are different so treating them in the exact same way would be wrong because that means you are not APPRECIATING women and men for who they UNIQUELY are. Women can lead but they should lead in a different way than men. They should lead gently, not powerfully; rule with kindness, not with firmness.

We are all human. Differences in melatonin or hormone levels do not change that. Women can be just as logical, rational, and decisive as men. They just wind up being referred to as cold, ice princess, ice queen, witch, and so forth.

Top Bottom