1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is America's UA as weak as it sounds?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by kamex, Nov 14, 2010.

1. stormerne

stormerne is just a Retired Moderator

I must have missed the 20-25 turns thing in your earlier posts. I normally tech to Horseback Riding by turn 30, and several turns earlier if I pop The Wheel from ruins.

Incidentally, something that's always kind of bugged me from the point of view of immersion and simulation: where does the money go when you buy a tile, who's selling anyway and where do they go?

2. Nunya

Nunya Warlord

I think of it as giving money to people from your city so they can build their farm a bit further from the city. Or something.

3. Bandobras Took

Bandobras Took Emperor

I hate gold rushing for the same reason, and that's been around even longer. ;)

4. clearbeard

clearbeard King

There is one other benefit to America that everyone else seems to have missed in this thread. Sure, the Minuteman is weak, which is because, as someone else mentioned, the musketman is weak. However, the minuteman keeps his movement bonus on upgrade, like scouts who have been upgraded from ruins. A 2 movement unit with no terrain penalties (including rivers) is okay but not great. A 4 movement mech infantry with the same mobility is game changing.

5. stormerne

stormerne is just a Retired Moderator

That's really very nice! I had no idea. For me that's probably the best reason of all for playing as the US. Thanks! :goodjob:

6. EverNoob

EverNoob Prince

Yes that's why America are the champions of the modern era with no terrain penalty mech infantry and bombers. Then +1 sight so you know where to hit with the bombers. But I don't think ppl missed that aspect in this thread, it's just cuz the OP was asking about specifically about the UA :)

7. Bandobras Took

Bandobras Took Emperor

The current patch may up the UA's value even more if people start avoiding culture buildings early on.

8. eric_

eric_ Emperor

Until you start your next game as a different civ and no longer have the LoS/cheap tiles bonuses...you definitely miss them at that point!

9. neilkaz

neilkaz King

At the risk of getting OT here, I'll mention that I played a few hours as America last night on my usual standard speed small single landmass map. Being stuck in the middle on Immortal and with some mountains around, further limiting expansion is not a good start so this game wouldn't be going all that well regardless of civ choice. But anyhow, while the added sight is handy and I think resulted in an extra ruin or two and makes combat a bit easier, I do think that I have better games when using a civ with more military or economic advantages.

I was unaware that Minutemen's movement advantage would carry over to upgrades, and only had two of them since I had to build riflemen quickly to win my war vs Siam and establish a situation that my now be playable (noting Hiawatha to my left is huge and ahead of me in tech and starting to send hate messages).

Next time I play America I'll try to build more Minutemen so that they later become mechs with the movement advantage for four tiles.

.. neilkaz ..

10. Udey1

Udey1 Prince

Yes the upgrading of muskets to terrain ignore riflemen means rivers are not a problem. when unroaded rivers destroy movement options it becomes important. I try to time a musket burst playing america. I really enjoy playing as this civ.

11. neilkaz

neilkaz King

Just chiming in to say that as expected Hiawatha finally came after me in that Immortal game. Even though I was expecting him, he had too much and rifleman and artillery can't fight an equal number of artillery with many infantry and a few tanks in the mix. So..my worst lost yet on Immortal and in my first try with the Americans. Next time I hope to play them better and will plan to pump Minutemen and upgrade.

Anyhow..playing a civ that fits one of my styles (techy Babylon) I am doing much better tonight and expect this Immortal game to be a win.

The fun thing about this game is that there are so many different things that one can do with different civs.

.. neilkaz ..

12. troytheface

troytheface Deity

in the geometric tile attack pattern america makes greece and mongolia cry home to mama

Tradition science and Minutemen all over the place woods and hills and a mountain for an observatory and wine for ur university

the strongest civilization in Civ5 to play if you are a tile master

the evidence is clear- Sight and Drill and Pattern