[R&F] Is another DLC around the corner?

Phoenix1595

Lord of the Two Lands
When the base game dropped, the Polish DLC came out roughly 60 days after, and we continued to receive DLCs at regular 2-3 month intervals. Will Firaxis continue this trend and drop a new DLC in early April? I am not in the camp of "we won't see any new cintent until next year's expansion," but I am wondering if Firaxis plans to continue the pre-R&F content release schedule, more or less. Thoughts?

I've been watching the SteamDB. There are no unnamed DLC apps or DLC0# depots at this time, so they aren't QA testing any DLC. If there are any to come, they aren't likely to come in the next few months.

That being said, they are QA testing a hotfix or another patch. There have been 3 QA updates for PC files in the past few days.

I've been watching the SteamDB. There are no unnamed DLC apps or DLC0# depots at this time, so they aren't QA testing any DLC. If there are any to come, they aren't likely to come in the next few months.

That being said, they are QA testing a hotfix or another patch. There have been 3 QA updates for PC files in the past few days.

That'll be the England fix then, right? :mischief:

That'll be the England fix then, right? :mischief:

Here's hoping. It's hard to say exactly when this hotfix/patch will arrive quite yet. It needs more data points. I'm leaning away from hotfix at the moment because there isn't anything horrifyingly broken that needs to be addressed in a hasty manner.

I don't believe they released any DLC after the first expansion for Civ V, and I'm thinking they may not do the same for Civ VI again. So then no more DLC. But that's just my theory.

I don't believe they released any DLC after the first expansion for Civ V, and I'm thinking they may not do the same for Civ VI again. So then no more DLC. But that's just my theory.
There was a bigger outcry about CivV DLC though.

After the first expansion got released for Civ 5 there was no DLC until Civ 5's second expansion, after the second one there was DLCs. After Civ 6 was released there was a patch in October and then the Civ 6 winter patch in December 2016 brought the Poland Civ and Scenario DLC and the Viking scenario DLC. If there are any more DLCs coming this year it's most likely not going to be in the spring. I would expect more Alternate leaders if they were doing more DLCs but there is a possiblity for new civs.

Considering Civ V is our only reference point, can we really assume that it's going to be the same this time around? I mean, even discounting everything else, R&F came like, almost a year earlier than G&K, right?

Considering Civ V is our only reference point, can we really assume that it's going to be the same this time around? I mean, even discounting everything else, R&F came like, almost a year earlier than G&K, right?

To add to that thought, the timetable for Civ V and Gods & Kings is probably an exceptional situation in the first place, given what we know about the behind the scenes shakeups that occurred between the two. Their DLC schedule in general could move a lot faster than with Civ V, simply because things seem to be running a lot more smoothly at Firaxis at the moment.

I assume Firaxis were sort of working on this expansion and the next in parallel. I only say that because some of the systems that have been introduced feel like they're intended to form part of wider more involved mechanics, or just feel like beta versions of mechanics.

In particularly, the new ideology casus belli and emergencies feels like they're intended to be part of more in-depth ideology mechanics. I also assume Firaxis are saving the world congress or something similar for the last expansion, because that would help drive sales of the base game, R&F and a second expansion.

So, I don't expect any DLC for now, as Firaxis will be focused on tweaking R&F and pushing forward with the final expansion.

Note sure if this is really the right thread, but does anyone have any sense of what Firaxis’ priorities are with the game (regardless of whether via a dlc or expansion)?

I don’t mean ‘what would you like to see?’. I mean ‘what do you think Firaxis are working on?’.

I think long term we’ll see a World Congress and something around ideologies / third tier governments, but that’s certainly in an expansion.

I think we might see via dlc or a patch some new emergencies and some further tweaking to governors and districts (I think for governors there’s an obvious missed opportunity to have one or two give more loyalty than the others - Victor and the Religious One would be good candidates).

I expect loyalty and government buildings and legacy cards will get tweaked, but bigger changes to loyalty will probably be in an expansion (eg religion or tourism interacting with loyalty).

I really hope some existing Civs (hint hint) get refreshed and or we get some alternate leaders to tease out other strategic focuses for some civs (like they did for India). But that seems unlikely other than in an expansion.

Lastly, I think Firaxis might think more about Neighbourhoods and Aerodromes. That’s not really based on anything concrete. It’s just they have tweaked the Neighbourhood so I suspect they’re thinking about that, and the Aerodrome has so far been relatively untouched and seems ripe for some tweaking.

Last edited:
I expect the next patch would be to resolve the load order for mods, and hopefully, un-nerf England.

As for DLCs and alt leaders, my pocket is ready but willing to wait.

Sorry, three more things.

Court Houses: I think it's likely we'll get these in either an expansion or DLC. They were in previous versions of Civ, and there are just so many gameplay possibilities in terms of how they could interact with Governors, Governments and Policy Cards. e.g. Governors provide an extra +4 loyalty to a city if it has a Court House; Fascism reduces war weariness by an additional 5% for each Court House in your empire; Economic Card “Charter of Rights”, +1 amenity to all cities with a Court House (unlocks at Opera and Ballet).

Corporations: These might come back in an expansion, given they were again in previous versions of Civ, and are something for the late game which is likely to be the focus of any future expansion. I've no idea how these might work. Perhaps they'd let you run special projects?

Dedications: I suspect we may get new dedications which are made available based on what government you're in, possible as part of DLC or a patch. This is total and utter speculation by me. But it just seems like such an obvious gameplay opportunity, and I would have thought fairly easy to implement.

@leandrombraz That seems right.

Wild speculation I know, but I wonder if we might get more than one more expansion.

There’s definitely a Late Game / Diplomacy / World Congress expansion in the pipeline, if only because they must think the WC would really drive sales.

But there might be some smaller expansions or dlc after that. I think there are at least two or three possibilities.

First, some sort of “Beyond Earth” type expansion. Perhaps with some future tech, alternate space victory types, and maybe some scenarios or something letting you play on another planet. I think that would be a safer bet then actually releasing a stand-alone BE game.

Second, “Queen & Country” expansion, which provides a bunch of alternate leaders, all queens or female leaders (Elizabeth 1, Isabella of Spain, Catherine of Russia, Wu Zetian), and maybe some things around spies or something else.

Third, something around colonization.

I don’t haven’t any basis for these suggestions. But I think that, after the second expansion, Civ should be such a robust game that there will be so much scope to extending it out, and very little merit in working on a Civ 7.

Top Bottom