1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is anybody concerned about the hybrid units only having 1 tier unit. The 7/7 tier.

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by ZTZaorish, Aug 28, 2015.

1. ZTZaorish

ZTZaorish Warlord

Some of the units, like the sub didn't even seem to have a hybrid.
    This would make hybrid nations so weak for so long if they had to wait that long just for an upgrade. Unless they can use the base tier 6 harmony/supremacy/purity. The base affinity unit is lvl 6 right? I forget right now.
    Also, only having 1 hybrid level seems very boring to me. Thoughts?

2. Galgus

Galgus Emperor

I would like to see an equal number of hybrid and primary affinity upgrades.

3. Red Menace

Red Menace Prepare to be Menaced

whats the point of going hybrid to get one tier of units? but we do know there are Hybrid Ultimate units and i believe they will have alot more info at PAX.

4. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

If you look at the upgrade screen, the standard hybrid unit is at 6/6. But the hybrid affinities have unique units too, like the Immortal. So hybrid affinities will have more units than just the 6/6 upgrade.

5. ZTZaorish

ZTZaorish Warlord

Alright, glad to see people have noticed some upgraded units. It is just weird to me that we don't see that there are upgraded versions of these upgraded units on some sections of the unit menu. As you can see in the latest live stram, they have that 2 or 3 circle screen where you see all the different unit upgrades, on that screen at least, the hybrid affinities ultimate upgrades.
    SupremacyKing, where did you hear about their ultimate units? Which video? Because I agree, there would be no point in having only 1 tier of it. Apart from massively gimping hybrids to make up for them being super strong in another way.

6. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

If you look at the unit upgrade screen seen here at the 19:50 mark, the one that shows all the units, we can see the names for new units, which must be the hybrid units:
    • Aquilon
    • Architect
    • Autosled
    • Drone Cage
    • Geliopod
    • Golem
    • Immortal
    • Nanohive
    • Throne

We know that there are 3 hybrid affinities, which means there are 3 units per hybrid affinity. Now, we also know that each hybrid affinity has 1 6/6 level unit, which leaves 2 other unique units per hybrid affinity. Also, the devs in the E3 interview were asked if BERT would have WMD's and the devs said "no" but there would be very powerful late game units.

7. DefiantMars

DefiantMars King

I've been monitoring the hybrid units and upgrades in another document that I can't really access on mobile. It was implied that hybrids get their own artillery but subs are still up in the air.

8. edingess

edingess Warlord

I hope one day a new tier of hybrid units can be either added (or modded) in

9. DefiantMars

DefiantMars King

Okay I have my notes now.

According to what I have logged.

• Hybrid Soldiers get their upgrade at 6+6, the same Hybrid Patrol Boats.
    • Hybrid Gunners get upgraded at 7+7 the same as Hybrid Gunboats.
    • Hybrid Combat Rovers get upgraded at 8+8.

We have yet to see them, but one of the interviews said that Hybrids get their siege and aircraft units. If the upgrade convention follows I would expect Missile Rovers to upgrade at 9+9.

We still have yet to see if there are Hybrid Carriers.

The submarines page doesn't have Hybrid units right now, so we don't know if they'll happen or not. If they did I imagine they would upgrade at 8+8, hypothetically speaking.

10. omniclast

omniclast Prince

If the hybrids happen at 6+6 (etc), that is technically a t4 upgrade, isn't it? Because you would get the t3 upgrade from one of the two individual affinities first. So your unit path would be something like t1 soldier - t2 marine - t3 supremacy apostle - t4 blended unit. I assume in that case the blended units are comparable with t4 pure affinity units.

11. Minor Annoyance

Minor Annoyance Deity

If a hybrid unit came at a time and at a strength that it was useful compared to other top units then why would it need an upgrade?

12. Lord Tirian

Lord Tirian Erratic Poster

Yeah, they are T4 units requirement-wise. I suspect the reason there are no T3 hybrids is simple: you get the weirdness of somebody going T3 hybrid and then "de-hybridising" into a pure T4 unit.

The Hybrid units are the reward for dedicating yourself to the hybrid system instead of picking it up along the way. You can't "casually" hybridise and then leave it, you have to commit to it.

13. ZTZaorish

ZTZaorish Warlord

I hate to say it boys, but I was right, there is only 1 tier for hybrid affinity units. I really feel like it makes hybrid affinities less fleshed out, and only accessible late game(in terms of units). I find this very unfortunate, I know what they were going for, start out with a basic affinity unit, then change path if you want to hybridize. I know it sounds cool and makes sense to a certain degree, but I always thought that it would make to hybridize the whole way up the affinity path, from the very start, and get early affinity hybrids to play with early on.

We have to remember, this is a game at the end of the day, and I personally feel it would be more fun to be able to hybridize early on. Thoughts?

14. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

I think you are wrong. All the basic units (soldier, armor, ranger, patrol boat), except for air units and carriers, get their own hybrid upgrades. In additon to that, there is a mid level unique hybrid unit and a high level ultimate hybrid unit. we clearly saw that demo'ed in the live stream today.

15. ZTZaorish

ZTZaorish Warlord

Show me where in the video you saw that the basic units (soldier, armor and such) show that they have a basic hybrid unit (t3) and an improved one (T4), because i didn't see it. They made it sound like you have to start with a pure affinity at affinity 6, then later hybridize. Also, I am not looking at the unique units, just the basic ones. (although I probably should have mentioned that)

http://imgur.com/l210h4a (25 seconds into the video)

16. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

I think I misunderstood you. I thought you were saying that each affinity in general only had 1 hybrid unit. So, I was pointing out that there are 2 unique hybrid units, plus each basic unit gets 1 hybrid upgrade so there a lot more than just 1 hybrid upgrade in total.

But yes, you are correct that each basic unit only gets 1 hybrid upgrade. As I understand the image, each circle is an upgrade. The middle button is your first basic upgrade, then you get your pure affinity upgrade, then you get the option of a hybrid upgrade and then at a higher level, you get a pure affinity upgrade.

I do still disagree with you that the "hybrid affinities less fleshed out, and only accessible late game(in terms of units)" as you said since we now know that there are late game and midgame unique units as well hybrid upgrades for each basc unit which come in the middle of the game. That does not seem "less fleshed out" or "just late game" to me.

17. Doviello

Doviello Warlord

Kinda lame for S/H to have a super dope flying carrier, but no hybrid upgrade for air units, so after unlocking the carrier, you have to focus on H or S to get good fighters to put inside the damn thing.

18. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I wonder if they didn't bother to do hybrid aircraft because it would come late enough that you would hardly use them.

19. Minor Annoyance

Minor Annoyance Deity

Regarding if hybrids are fleshed out enough, they're not supposed to be as extensive as the main affinities. They're supposed to be 1/3 of a standard affinity. By going hybrid, your only missing out on the top levels of an individual affinity, in exchange for the low and mid levels of a second affinity, plus some hybrid stuff neither gets by itself.
    It seems that if you think the hybrids aren't extensive enough, it's because what you really wanted is new unique affinities at all levels. The part we keep forgetting is that we're also going to have xeno cavalry and Aegis units in the same army by hybridization.
    Actual hybrid units may not be as large in number, but they're being added to 1/2 of two others so you're still getting more than a pure affinity.
    Probably. Although they did say hybridization can be a way to get to the last tier earlier. Or it could be that while the idea of air units is cool, the implementation is less interesting. They don't move on terrain and as a ranged unit they have less interaction with other units, so they might not have had anything interesting to do with them.

20. ZTZaorish

ZTZaorish Warlord

@SupremacyKing2 - Yeah, my bad, i showed have expressed myself more clearly.
    It seems like a waste to me not to have the hybrids kick in earlier. It seems to me like the developers just imagined these basic(solider/tank) hybrid units as kicking in late game for some reason. I don't see why they can't kick in early like the first three affinities. That way you can watch the progression of the affinity through these units as well.

In terms of the affinities being less fleshed out, i may have somewhat exaggerated, but it is true that technically these new affinities have less content in them in comparison to the original. (at least so far) I find this disappointing, I was hoping hybrids would have just as much content, to help them stand on their own just as much as pure affinities, instead of having to use the pure affinity as somewhat of a crutch until their hybrid units kick in.

From a narrative perspective as well, it seems odd. Sponsor A chooses to go pure Harmony before suddenly deciding to go supremacy as well. This is the only option, if you want to remain competitive in terms of army. That, is an issue in my opinion.

From a strategic standpoint: Now we are forced into one of the three affinities in terms of the basic unit, and only at tier 4 can we hybridize these. This gives us less options, which hurts replayability.