1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is anyone actually playing with Grid OFF?!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by LordRahl, Jun 30, 2007.

?

Do you play with the grid off?

1. Yes

82 vote(s)
    77.4%
  2. No

24 vote(s)
    22.6%
  1. eoc

eoc Prince

turn it off!
    grids make me feeling that I back in the school drawing mechanism disigns!

2. TORARADICAL

TORARADICAL Prince of The JODASA

O and for those on slower comps, the grid makes the game run slower

3. kell_the_kyuss

kell_the_kyuss Chieftain

I dont think Ive ever turned the grid on. :lol:

4. zdpotter

zdpotter Chieftain

Haven't had grid on for a long time, because I can tell where one tile starts and another ends, even on large areas of similar tiles. Why have more stuff on my screen if I don't use it?
    I also didn't know about/remember the resource bubble toggle. Not that that has affected any of my games, so it's staying off.
    I only occasionally use the yield function, like when I'm setting up a new city, or am bored of just mousing over the tiles.

5. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

No, you knew exactly what he meant. No one plays from the straight up view because it's near impossible to distinguish units by what the top of their heads look like. Pressing Ctrl+(left arrow) or Ctrl+(right arrow) locks the camera at a 45 degree angle from north. You're talking about the angle of elevation that you view the board from. Would you call me ******** if I said I occasionally used the 45 degree angle to more easily select units that are behind others? I find elephants in particular are annoyingly tall, and selecting units/cities on the tiles just behind them is difficult. Rotating the board 45 degrees alleviates this.

I couldn't have put it more simply. This is exactly what I do. Personally I think the resource flags are most important because I find it near impossible to tell the difference between those tiny chunks of metal sticking out of hillsides and that those little green plants are corn and not something else. It's a shame because I get the impression the resource flags use a lot more computer resources, but I am almost crippled without them. For me, my interface view is about getting information quickly and accurately, not having pretty shiny pieces of silver and swaying forests, and moving sheep. Tile yields are also very handy for this reason. Without even selecting a city you can see immediately what tiles a city is working - that's a big plus for me.

I always play with the tile grid turned on. It just makes life easier.

6. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

I find the irony of this statement amusing. Though I assume you intended this with tongue in cheek, as LordRahl has pointed out, using these visual indicators is IMO more an indication that a player is not a noob. Personally, I think your comment was unnecessarily rude. This is because no one likes being called a noob, especially those who are clearly far from being noobs. And the analogy to chess is very true. I thought more about computer chess programs where 3D views can be employed. I find them cumbersome and prefer to play with 2D style instead, simply because it is quicker to distinguish pieces from one another. Do not judge a player's ability on the quality of their eyesight or the patience they have when using an awkward, hard to read interface.

And you are wrong that the black and white squares on a chess board are an "essential demarcation which the whole game rests on". As you know, chess can be played by just quoting coordinates at each other. There are no black and white squares at all. It is merely the information on the state of the board that is needed by each player for each turn, and it just happens that the traditional way to represent the game board is using the checkered board - probably because it is visually easy to read. You could certainly play chess on a white board with no lines at all. Yes it would be very difficult because it would be hard to see where one "square" ends and another starts but that is exactly the point that was being made. Just because it is possible to play doesn't mean it isn't horribly inconvenient. Tile grids in Civ4, while not as critical as resources flags IMO, are still a useful visual aid for noobs AND experts alike.

7. FastWorker

FastWorker Warlord

I turn that ugly beast off. But the food/gold markers, I leave on. You can generally use that as a marker instead. If I absolutely have to use the grid, I'll turn it off immediately, sometimes before I'm done counting the squares.

8. vorlon_mi

vorlon_mi Just One More Turn

I voted in the "off" camp, because that is how I play most of the time.
    I will turn the grid on when I really need to know a geographic detail,
    such as how wide a choke point is, or whether I can sneak across
    a narrow strait without crossing ocean. Then, it usually goes back off...
    but not always.

9. bru

bru Prince

For me the game runs quicker with the grid on.

10. Zhahz

Zhahz PC Gamer

I prefer the grid on. I guess it's largely just a preference thing for me - the game doesn't look right to me with the grid off.

Also, the game's appearance isn't degraded for me with the grid on - but then, everything looks pretty spiffy on a 24" widescreen. 8)

11. Colossian

Colossian Prince

BTW, Why can't I set Grid-On is default? Firaxis programmers are not good at GUI. I used to use Balanced resource option but every time I got to set it again. It's bothering me.

12. Quagga

Quagga Former Dictator

Grid on. Yields display on (except maybe in the late game, when I no longer care). Resource indicator on only when I'm trying to find something (like aluminum) in somebody else's territory.

Started turning grid on after one too many times of clicking just slightly off and sending my unit to the wrong tile.

Started turning yield display on because I was tired of looking to see whether the light was on in the farmhouse.

Maybe I play a little too far zoomed out.

I use the control-arrow buttons to rotate the display, but only so I can click on a city without getting an elephant instead. I put it back to normal when done.

Of course, all of this proves that I am a n00b. In fact, real players play with
    Bare Map only. They visualize all units in their heads. They don't like to see stuff messing up the beautiful terrain.

13. Severus

Severus Warlord

:clap: Perfectly put. I find it amusing that some people seem to be upset that not everyone plays with the same interface they do to the extent that they have to try and belittle anyone who has different preferences.

I generally play with all three off although sometimes i'll turn on the grid or the resource indicators and then notice they're still on around an hour later. I guess i get a little too absorbed in the game sometimes...

By the way does anyone know if there's a way to turn off the graphics for units fortified inside cities? (Without going to the bare map view). It would be nice to watch my capital grow without having three giant warriors casting their shadows over it for 6000 years. (It's never actually more than 5,800 years before anyone calls me a noob for my games lasting in to the 1800's)

14. GVBN

GVBN Emperor

Nope

15. Smidlee

Smidlee Deity

Civ4 has grids? I forgot it had the grid option.

16. Antilogic

Antilogic --

I hate the grids because it adds confusion to the map, which is already quite crowded and I usually have the resource tags on. I'm pretty good with figuring out the distances and where stuff is in my head, so I don't add the gridlines to an already information-dense interface.