Is anyone besides me happy with the game?

If you compare Civ5 to Civ4 + expansions this is surely the case.
But, in my opinion, you should compare it to valilla Civ4.
Let's remove from Civ4: Great Generals, Unique Buildings, Vassals, Colonies, Espionage, Corporations, Random Events (plus many units types, techs, buildings and wonders). I'm sure the comparison would be a little more fair ;) (Civ5 would still lack something though).

:agree:

Spot on.

I haven't tried ciV yet (comes on Friday!), but looking back cIV vanilla had lots of holes, Warlords added a little and BtS added lots. The final product was then complete.

As long as ciV is a good base to expand upon then i'll be happy. Also we can then enjoy endless threads on new civs, leaders, wonders, features etc... :crazyeye:

Compared to CivIV vanilla, CivV vanilla is great(er).

City-states aren't the annoying side-mechanic I feared they may become later. They're pretty nice to have around and influence diplomacy (especially on duel maps) greatly. I'm not sure, but I think the AI does stuff just because you do it as opposed to randomly doing it. Yeah, that sounded bad but hears what I mean.

Its near 0 AD and Venice (just south of me) allies with Germany. By now, I have Helenski, and all the northwestern city-states allied with me (India). So, I invaded Venice.

Every turn or so (for the first two or three), Germany demanded me to stop or made threats but I didn't care. I took Venice. Before long, Germnay declares war on Rio, my ally.

So yeah. Plus, he really doesn't like me having troops near him. Period.

Even longer story short, Rio was saved and I took Berlin, earning a Domination victory. But because there are still city-states to be conquered and German states to be assimilated, I'll put in a few more hours later.

I cannot stop playing demo :p

worst part is that i wont be around on Friday and will come around my PC only next weekend with does suck :(

I am! I hope they reduce the cost for social policies though, it seems to take FOREVER to get things until later game and just feels slow.

But other then that it's pretty fun.

I think it's great. Very interesting decisions to make and it looks great too.

My first game had the continent fill up very naturally and national borders really looked cool. Diplomacy seemed interesting enough. I really like it, just 5 more turns.

Still on the demo here, so I'm trying to judge based on the forum posts...

Pretty positive would be my judgement, there's a lot of negative posts but then there always are for every game, just one of those weird phenomena about computer game launches I guess... Compare this forum to one dealing of a launch where there have been real problems - Hearts of Iron 3 or Empire Total War, say - and this place is positively relaxing ;)

Don't let the haters trolling around here fool you, they don't represent the majority of civ players.

They come here and rage about it because of some fickle thing they don't like, the rest of us are playing the game.

The only valid criticism I agree with them on is, MP needs help, and it needs to allow for animations and saving.

1 unit per tile has actually made me interested in conquest and war again. In Civ4, building stacks of units and fortifying cities with them just got so tiresome in the later game.

I THINK I like it. I'm still getting used to what button does what when which unit is which and where everything is, but that's me not it. It's not all natural like it got to be with IV, so it's hard to tell for me at this point whether I like it more or less.

Here's my take on things:

With each new release there'll be people who dislike the changes, it's inevitable. Those people will stop playing the game, and come here to whine to everyone else that they spent their money on a game expecting to like it because it's Civ, but don't. :cry:

The reason us folks who really enjoy it are the vocal minority, is because we're too busy playing the game instead of coming on the forums; some of us still do, to see what the rest are saying, but not everyone who doesn't like it.

Happy? I'm in heaven! :goodjob:

I'm just too busy playing to come here and counter the negative feedbacks.

Well, time to play some more!

I've only been able to play the demo, and gotten bored with it because of all of the limitations but it was enough to give me an idea on how the full game works and I must say it looks and feels like a good game.

I didn't think I would switch to CiV, but I downloaded the demo. The first time I played I didn't like it, the second time I wasn't sure, the third time I was hooked, the fourth time I bought it.
It arrives tomorrow and I can hardly wait!

My first impression after playing a meager 4 and half hours last night was that this is a really fun game with a ton of potential to expand upon with mods and expansions. When I loaded up the game I noticed what some others were noticing, the graphics weren’t very impressive.

So I went back to the main menu, went to options, increased the resolution to 1900 by something, reduced the size of the interface and increased the graphic quality for all the in game textures as they were defaulted low despite my high end system. I made most of the graphics and shadowing between high and medium depending on what I cared about most. After restarting the graphic quality of the game increased greatly and now I’m happy. The only graphics I don’t like are the rivers, for as good as the oceans and coast look; rivers really stand out as not receiving enough attention from the graphic artist.

The game runs smooth, quick and is fun. I have to warn those that haven’t played yet, if you like to play on Marathon in Civ 4, you might want to try something a little faster. Marathon is very loooonnngggg. I think the first 100 turns only got me to 2500 BC and now I’m about 200 turns in and I think I’m at around 1225BC or something like that. I don’t know what the specs are but it seems like Marathon would end up being around 1000 turns.

I like the long game though. Yesterday was a long day for me as I was up at 5:30 AM to go to work at 6:30 AM and it ended up being a 10 hour work day so I was yawning last night around 9:30PM. I found myself saying for an additional half hour just one more turn then I’ll go to bed.

I’m off the next two days and I can’t wait to play more Civ 5.

I enjoyed it for a few hours last night. The mechanics are great, no beefs yet. The AI may need some improvement but its functional and the dynamics with the city states are quite interesting.

Yeah I'm loving it. Only played one game all the way through so far but that took me about 14-15 hours. Sure, if you add up the features it's severely lacking compared to Civ IV, but come on, that game has 2 expansions. You can't expect it to have all those features. For the most part, what they did change, I feel they changed for the better. The only thing I can think of that's worse is the UI and the ability for you to get information. Like I couldn't find a screen that would show me which city is going to pop out a great person next and stuff like that. I'm hoping mods will fix this problem. Or possibly it's there I just can't find it.

Loved it so far, just a bit worried about the AI not colonising anything on across the sea in my first game.

You guys should really just use the proxy workaround and play the full game instead of the demo btw.

Top Bottom