1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Anyone Else Annoyed By Unique Buildings That Aren't 'Unique'

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by kamex, Jun 27, 2016.

1. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

That would make an interesting unique building. I wonder what the bonus could be? :p

2. Sagax

Sagax Emperor

...which is not unique to France. In a nutshell it's just a manor. Chateau's only edge is the fact that its name is borrowed from the French language, making it sound unique to anglophones.

It's really hard to find a truly unique building as you start looking past the Classical Era - the names may vary, but at the end of the day they are all the same concept with probably a small twist specific to a given region.

3. CaiusDrewart

CaiusDrewart King

The "unique" in unique building refers to the fact that no other Civ in the game can construct this building. It shouldn't be interpreted as implying that no other real-life civilization could have ever had this building or an equivalent.

Uniques don't need to be literally unique (in the modern multicultural world few buildings would qualify!), just something that has a special importance in a particular Civ's culture--and the Film Studio clearly does for America.

4. Loaf Warden

Loaf Warden (no party affiliation)

Honestly, yes. But it's a minor thing.

I mean, yeah, when I heard the UB for America was the Film Studio, I was like, "Huh? India makes way more movies than we do. And most of the studios we have are concentrated in one city anyway; if anything, the problem with the American film industry is that it is so centralized. It would be better if we could spread them out more like we apparently will in-game."

My first choice for a uniquely American building would be the Saloon. A quick glance through the Wikipedia page I linked doesn't indicate any outside the United States, but I'd be surprised if there weren't at least some in Canada in those days as well. And I don't know what a Saloon would do in-game anyway. If anyone has any cool ideas and creates a mod that gives America the Saloon instead of the Film Studio, I'll probably download it.

But ultimately, it's kind of a minor thing. How many "Unique Buildings" in either IV or V have actually been unique to their civilization anyway? In IV, Germany had the Assembly Plant, for crying out loud. India had the Mausoleum, when the most famous one of those in the world was in Greek Anatolia. In V, Austria had the Coffee House, as though you could swing a dead cat in Seattle without hitting one of those. And Egypt's "Burial Tomb" (as opposed to what other kind of tomb?) is pretty much universal to humanity.

The main point about a UB, I suppose, is that it's not something actually unique to that nation or people, but that it's particularly iconic; that it's associated more in the minds of the general public with them than with anyone else. (Even by that measure, I think the Saloon would make more sense for America than "Mall" or "Film Studio".) But since we apparently have to have Unique Buildings, and since very few nations or peoples in history have actually had a type of building that was genuinely unique to them, I suppose the way they go about it works well enough.

5. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

@Loaf Warden
    I agree about the saloon. I'd like the US to get a little "Wild West" representation some time and the Saloon would work. I suppose the Rough Riders are kind of cowboyish though.

6. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

I think what many of you are missing is the historical aspect.

sure, others make films *now* but Edison created the technologies for film, the US companies were the first to create films - and widely distribute them around the world - and then those self same film studios also started TV shows.

so the culture push via film/tv medium was uniquely american for a long time.

It wasn't until much later that anyone else even had a chance to make a film.

7. Teproc

Teproc King

I didn't know King Ludwig was French...

Film Studios are an excellent American UB. Really the only countries that have studios on a similar scale are India and Nigeria, but the American ones were the most influential and the ones who invented cinema as an industry.

Edit : Um, the Lumière invented film as much as Edison did. Even if you go the Edison route, it certainly wasn't "much later" before anyone else made a film, unless you count "a few months" that way. Again, the cinema industry is what's uniquely American (until Bollywood), and represented here.

8. Loaf Warden

Loaf Warden (no party affiliation)

Considering Theodore Roosevelt actually spent some time as a rancher and cowboy in the Dakota Territory, the Saloon would be a thematically-appropriate UB for him. I mean, I gather he wasn't much of a drinker himself, but still.

9. m15a

m15a Emperor

Maybe most of the studios are in one city, but there are multiple other US cities with film studios. It's not as centralized as the use of "Hollywood" to mean US film industry would suggest. Off the top of my head, New York, Atlanta, and Wilmington NC have studios. (Those are all places I've lived. So I'm assuming other places I don't know about have them, too.)

10. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Chicago and Las Vegas do as well, I believe.

11. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

Yup, Detroit too.

12. OnceAKing

OnceAKing Warlord

Austin and Louisiana do alot of filming. Alot of other cities have encroached on Hollywood as they are more willing to offer tax breaks to studios for filming their.

But I think the film studio is the second best Unique Building behind Jazz Clubs. It comes about in the 20th century, when we were strongest. And it represents our new age form of culture that lies outside of the classical paradigm of music or plays or poetry.

Off the top of my head Civ 5 had the coffee house for AustrIA
    Netherlands had a unique windmill or something
    The privateer wasn't unique
    Mud pyramid
    The Mayan pyramids
    Even the Great pyramids had similar counterparts in Nubia
    The Shoshone scout and mounted calvary (which technically could be considered a whole different civ)

I think the point is the notoriety of the building in relation to the civ and thematically I think Films are synonymous with America more so than virtually every other cultural reference point outside of Jazz and the blues

13. killmeplease

killmeplease Mk Z on Steam

i have a saloon mod for civ5. it adds production and auto-improves animal and mining resources in the city's borders. intended for mid-late game expansion.

14. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

The Boston area is growing in the movie business specifically due to the tax breaks they offer.

15. jlc22

jlc22 Chieftain

Half the restaurants and bars in Calgary, Alberta, Canada are about to turn into a saloon in just over a week for Calgary Stampede with lots of wood, barrels, wagon wheels and such.

Calgary Saloon effects: Production penalty (due to week long inebriation) and Tourism and growth bonus (also due to week long inebriation)!

16. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Ha, you're not making a very good argument about how Jazz Club is NOT a tourism/culture victory building important to the US specifically.

Sounds like spreading US "Ideology" (to use CivV terms) and culture and tourism to me . . .

17. m15a

m15a Emperor

There are two different conversations going on here. The main topic of the thread is unique building that are actually real-world unique. Some people (including me) were pointing out that despite being a very American thing, even jazz clubs aren't real-world unique to the US.

But since, it seems, most people don't care too much about real-world uniqueness and the difficulty with that has been demonstrated, the topic has shifted to what's a good unique building. Regarding that topic, I agree that jazz clubs would be a good unique building for America. I wouldn't necessarily say it's better than film studios, but I'd be very happy if jazz clubs were the unique building.

18. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

Why not the 'Rap Battle Arena'? :D

19. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Gotcha. Well yeah, there's no such thing as real-world unique. There's nothing new under the sun, as they say. Jazz club or Film studio are as good a building as any. I would say that the French Jazz club is a projection of American culture power into other cultures, though.

20. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

I actually used that for a long time. Really liked it.