Is anyone else excited for the new scenarios?

Are you excited for the new scenarios?

• Total voters
I like the sound of the American war scenario I don't think that the scramble of Africa will be appealing because its sounds to similar to the quest for the new world scenario which I didn't like.

I would hope they have moved on from the woeful New World scenario. There was a lot of dross released as dlc scenarios. Few of them rewarded the effort of multiple playthroughs. Empires of the Smoky Skies didn't really do it for me - too easy. Fall of Rome was ok. Into the Reniassance, however, was good, and I've played it through many times. I hope that Scramble for Africa, despite being only 100 turns, can have something of the same scope. American Civil War I don't expect much of. I guess it will be a bit like Korea or Norman Conquest - ok, but over-scripted.

While the Scramble for Africa seems alright, the American Civil War, as I said, is really important to me. Leading or repelling an invasion into the North with Lee will be amazing. Then again, since it's more American history, I doubt it's as wanted by civfanatics of other countries.

It is all based on the size and scope of the scenario.

I'm hoping for 150 turns or so standard size for both. Hopefully the "huge" size of ItR and the rather negative reactions it got will dissuade them from trying that again.

I remember back in civ II when scenarios were really, a massive part of the game. It seems with each release they've become less and less important, until today where basically they don't seem to put much effort into them at all. As a result, I don't expect the new scenarios to be very good, I was excited for the into the renaissance scenario for G+K until I found out that they were lazy and (for example) only placed capitals. I suspect the Africa scenario will be similar too...

The Civil War thing doesn't do much for me. But I'm very curious how the Scramble for Africa will work out, sounds like a very interesting scenario. And I'm also interested how this new map script will work out :)

Im most excited for Scramble for Africa. I want to try the North African nations, like maybe Morocco if it is in.
A few questions:
1) How will modern Italy be represented?
2) Since hopefully Belgium will in this scenario, might this mean they are one of the 9 new Civs?

does anyone have any answers for these two?

Fall From Heaven guys , i need them so much!!!!!!

Im most excited for Scramble for Africa. I want to try the North African nations, like maybe Morocco if it is in.
A few questions:
1) How will modern Italy be represented?
2) Since hopefully Belgium will in this scenario, might this mean they are one of the 9 new Civs?

does anyone have any answers for these two?

1) No idea
2) If the alphabetical-order-achievements theory (hypothesis?) is to be believed, then no, Belgium will not be in the main gain - there's no space between Assyria's and Brazil's achievements. The remaining civilizations would be from C - O and Q - Y (assuming no other civilization starts with B, P or Z, which is unlikely)

1) No idea
2) If the alphabetical-order-achievements theory (hypothesis?) is to be believed, then no, Belgium will not be in the main gain - there's no space between Assyria's and Brazil's achievements. The remaining civilizations would be from C - O and Q - Y (assuming no other civilization starts with B, P or Z, which is unlikely)

Thanks.
So even if Belgium isn't in the base game, might it still be included in the Scenario?
(like how the Vandals in Fall of Rome were in the scenario but not the base game)

Here is what I think in terms of what European countries will be in the Scenario:
Definetly in: France, England, some form of Italy,
Probable: Spain, Portugal, Germany, Netherlands
Possible: Belgium
Do you guys agree with this?

Should be fun to try and hold off the Europeans!

And another quick question: Does anyone think the Ottomans be playable as a more powerful North African nation?

Thanks.
So even if Belgium isn't in the base game, might it still be included in the Scenario?
(like how the Vandals in Fall of Rome were in the scenario but not the base game)

Here is what I think in terms of what European countries will be in the Scenario:
Definetly in: France, England, some form of Italy,
Probable: Spain, Portugal, Germany, Netherlands
Possible: Belgium
Do you guys agree with this?

Should be fun to try and hold off the Europeans!

And another quick question: Does anyone think the Ottomans be playable as a more powerful North African nation?

From this post:
  • Tablet Tech Pioneer - Beat the game on any difficulty as Ashurbanipal
  • Pedro's Party People - Beat the game on any difficulty as Pedro II.
  • NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_NAME_145_26 - NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_DESC_145_26
  • NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_NAME_145_27 - NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_DESC_145_27
  • King of the Wisent- Beat the game on any difficulty as Casimir.
  • In Hoc Signo Vinces - Beat the game on any difficulty as Maria I.
  • NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_NAME_145_30 - NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_DESC_145_30
  • NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_NAME_145_31 - NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_DESC_145_31
  • Wanna Be the King of the Zulus - Beat the game on any difficulty as Shaka.
(...)
  • I Prefer my Africa Scrambled - Win the Scramble for Africa scenario as any civ on any difficulty.
  • Praise the Victories - Win the Scramble for Africa playing as the Boers on Deity.
  • Ottoman Carpentry - Win the Scramble for Africa playing as the Ottomans on Deity.
  • Dr Livingstone I presume? - Playing as Belgium, move your Stanley Explorer to within a tile of England’s Livingstone Explorer.
  • The Rhodes Colossus - Playing as England in Scramble for Africa, complete a railroad from Cairo to Capetown.
  • Nigerian Bank Account - In Scramble for Africa, marry Sokoto or Bornu.
  • Discoverer - Playing as Italy in Scramble for Africa, earn the VP for finding two Natural Wonders.
(...)

These are the ones we know about. They also mentioned that one of the reasons they added Portugal was because of the scenario, so Portugal will certainly be there as well.

You can also see what i was talking about - Belgium would have to be between Assyria and Brazil, so it's not likely Belgium will be in the main game.

To awnser the topic - I never once played more than 5 turns in a scenario, so I will probably not even notice they are there! :lol: At max I will take a peek to see the art and hear the music and not much more than that...

From this post:
  • Tablet Tech Pioneer - Beat the game on any difficulty as Ashurbanipal
  • Pedro's Party People - Beat the game on any difficulty as Pedro II.
  • NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_NAME_145_26 - NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_DESC_145_26
  • NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_NAME_145_27 - NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_DESC_145_27
  • King of the Wisent- Beat the game on any difficulty as Casimir.
  • In Hoc Signo Vinces - Beat the game on any difficulty as Maria I.
  • NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_NAME_145_30 - NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_DESC_145_30
  • NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_NAME_145_31 - NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_DESC_145_31
  • Wanna Be the King of the Zulus - Beat the game on any difficulty as Shaka.
(...)
  • I Prefer my Africa Scrambled - Win the Scramble for Africa scenario as any civ on any difficulty.
  • Praise the Victories - Win the Scramble for Africa playing as the Boers on Deity.
  • Ottoman Carpentry - Win the Scramble for Africa playing as the Ottomans on Deity.
  • Dr Livingstone I presume? - Playing as Belgium, move your Stanley Explorer to within a tile of England’s Livingstone Explorer.
  • The Rhodes Colossus - Playing as England in Scramble for Africa, complete a railroad from Cairo to Capetown.
  • Nigerian Bank Account - In Scramble for Africa, marry Sokoto or Bornu.
  • Discoverer - Playing as Italy in Scramble for Africa, earn the VP for finding two Natural Wonders.
(...)

These are the ones we know about. They also mentioned that one of the reasons they added Portugal was because of the scenario, so Portugal will certainly be there as well.

You can also see what i was talking about - Belgium would have to be between Assyria and Brazil, so it's not likely Belgium will be in the main game.

To awnser the topic - I never once played more than 5 turns in a scenario, so I will probably not even notice they are there! :lol: At max I will take a peek to see the art and hear the music and not much more than that...

Nice information! Thanks
So the door is still open for a new Modern Italy Civ, and for Morocco (and also maybe Mali)
I wonder what the other African Civs will be?

There are certain civs that would be odd not to be included, if not just for land-filling purposes. Without Austria, there's a big hole between Germany and the Ottomans. Austria is a Gods and Kings civ, of course, so it might be a replacement "Austria-Hungary" that's entirely different from the normal version. It would be strange if Russia wasn't included, either. If we don't like the prospect of these civs having any colonial possessions in Africa, they could just be implemented as minor, unplayable civs. It would do no harm to make them playable, though, considering this is an alternative history scenario anyway.

I do have to wonder what the map will look like, since there's the obvious problem of Russia having way too much land on most European maps. There could be an alternative tilt to the map, ala Sven's Europe, or they could implement barriers of some kind to make that land impassible. It's also possible they would just leave that land empty, but that definitely seems odd to me.

There are certain civs that would be odd not to be included, if not just for land-filling purposes. Without Austria, there's a big hole between Germany and the Ottomans. Austria is a Gods and Kings civ, of course, so it might be a replacement "Austria-Hungary" that's entirely different from the normal version. It would be strange if Russia wasn't included, either. If we don't like the prospect of these civs having any colonial possessions in Africa, they could just be implemented as minor, unplayable civs. It would do no harm to make them playable, though, considering this is an alternative history scenario anyway.

I do have to wonder what the map will look like, since there's the obvious problem of Russia having way too much land on most European maps. There could be an alternative tilt to the map, ala Sven's Europe, or they could implement barriers of some kind to make that land impassible. It's also possible they would just leave that land empty, but that definitely seems odd to me.

2 things will happen

1. Europe would not be included

2. The nations not playable woudl be replaced by "Neutral" zone (or City States) like they were in Discover New World DLC scenario (where Japan filled the role of unused territory in Europe)

I'm excited to play both of the announced scenarios, but I'm hoping for more. I think a "20th century" scenario that starts with and requires a resolution of WWII but then to achieve victory conditions you have to complete spying and diplomacy quests through the "UN" (world congress), make your ideology the dominant force of the world through acquisition of great works or archeological digs and culture and tourism, and focus on gaining victory points by participating in a modified space race. I am basically describing a 20th century "Into the Renaissance"

Does the American Civil War scenario imply they may be adding civilization fracturing as a game mechanic?

If this is the case, I will be thrilled.

Sorry to burst it to you pal, but a mechanic that big would be announced as one of the new mechanics for the expansion. The fact that there isn't one word about it pretty much kills any chance of that.
Besides, it's not like the New World Scenario brought colonies to the game, so why would the American Civil War bring fracturing? :p

Sorry to burst it to you pal, but a mechanic that big would be announced as one of the new mechanics for the expansion. The fact that there isn't one word about it pretty much kills any chance of that.
Besides, it's not like the New World Scenario brought colonies to the game, so why would the American Civil War bring fracturing? :p

You have crushed my dreams with your logic.

Top Bottom