Is anyone else excited for the new scenarios?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by ImperialChaos, May 7, 2013.

?

Are you excited for the new scenarios?

1. I'm more excited for American Civil War

8.4%
  2. I'm more excited for Scramble for Africa

50.8%
  3. I'm equally excited for both.

17.3%
  4. I wanted a different scenario(s)

23.6%
  1. Hans Castorp

Hans Castorp Prince

I would hope they have moved on from the woeful New World scenario. There was a lot of dross released as dlc scenarios. Few of them rewarded the effort of multiple playthroughs. Empires of the Smoky Skies didn't really do it for me - too easy. Fall of Rome was ok. Into the Reniassance, however, was good, and I've played it through many times. I hope that Scramble for Africa, despite being only 100 turns, can have something of the same scope. American Civil War I don't expect much of. I guess it will be a bit like Korea or Norman Conquest - ok, but over-scripted.

2. ImperialChaos

ImperialChaos President

While the Scramble for Africa seems alright, the American Civil War, as I said, is really important to me. Leading or repelling an invasion into the North with Lee will be amazing. Then again, since it's more American history, I doubt it's as wanted by civfanatics of other countries.

3. Hinterlander

Hinterlander Chieftain

It is all based on the size and scope of the scenario.

I'm hoping for 150 turns or so standard size for both. Hopefully the "huge" size of ItR and the rather negative reactions it got will dissuade them from trying that again.

4. dagriggstar

dagriggstar King

I remember back in civ II when scenarios were really, a massive part of the game. It seems with each release they've become less and less important, until today where basically they don't seem to put much effort into them at all. As a result, I don't expect the new scenarios to be very good, I was excited for the into the renaissance scenario for G+K until I found out that they were lazy and (for example) only placed capitals. I suspect the Africa scenario will be similar too...

5. digrosz

digrosz Dirty Frank

I would love to wipe out all Europeans as Shaka in Scramble For Africa

6. anandus

anandus Errorist

The Civil War thing doesn't do much for me. But I'm very curious how the Scramble for Africa will work out, sounds like a very interesting scenario. And I'm also interested how this new map script will work out :)

7. askia53

askia53 Chieftain

Im most excited for Scramble for Africa. I want to try the North African nations, like maybe Morocco if it is in.
    A few questions:
    1) How will modern Italy be represented?
    2) Since hopefully Belgium will in this scenario, might this mean they are one of the 9 new Civs?

does anyone have any answers for these two?

8. handofnod

handofnod Chieftain

Fall From Heaven guys , i need them so much!!!!!!

9. JSMCAG

JSMCAG King

1) No idea
    2) If the alphabetical-order-achievements theory (hypothesis?) is to be believed, then no, Belgium will not be in the main gain - there's no space between Assyria's and Brazil's achievements. The remaining civilizations would be from C - O and Q - Y (assuming no other civilization starts with B, P or Z, which is unlikely)

10. askia53

askia53 Chieftain

Thanks.
    So even if Belgium isn't in the base game, might it still be included in the Scenario?
    (like how the Vandals in Fall of Rome were in the scenario but not the base game)

Here is what I think in terms of what European countries will be in the Scenario:
    Definetly in: France, England, some form of Italy,
    Probable: Spain, Portugal, Germany, Netherlands
    Possible: Belgium
    Do you guys agree with this?

Should be fun to try and hold off the Europeans!

And another quick question: Does anyone think the Ottomans be playable as a more powerful North African nation?

11. JSMCAG

JSMCAG King

From this post:
    • Tablet Tech Pioneer - Beat the game on any difficulty as Ashurbanipal
    • Pedro's Party People - Beat the game on any difficulty as Pedro II.
    • NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_NAME_145_26 - NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_DESC_145_26
    • NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_NAME_145_27 - NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_DESC_145_27
    • King of the Wisent- Beat the game on any difficulty as Casimir.
    • In Hoc Signo Vinces - Beat the game on any difficulty as Maria I.
    • NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_NAME_145_30 - NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_DESC_145_30
    • NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_NAME_145_31 - NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_DESC_145_31
    • Wanna Be the King of the Zulus - Beat the game on any difficulty as Shaka.
    (...)
    • I Prefer my Africa Scrambled - Win the Scramble for Africa scenario as any civ on any difficulty.
    • Praise the Victories - Win the Scramble for Africa playing as the Boers on Deity.
    • Ottoman Carpentry - Win the Scramble for Africa playing as the Ottomans on Deity.
    • Dr Livingstone I presume? - Playing as Belgium, move your Stanley Explorer to within a tile of England’s Livingstone Explorer.
    • The Rhodes Colossus - Playing as England in Scramble for Africa, complete a railroad from Cairo to Capetown.
    • Nigerian Bank Account - In Scramble for Africa, marry Sokoto or Bornu.
    • Discoverer - Playing as Italy in Scramble for Africa, earn the VP for finding two Natural Wonders.
    (...)

These are the ones we know about. They also mentioned that one of the reasons they added Portugal was because of the scenario, so Portugal will certainly be there as well.

You can also see what i was talking about - Belgium would have to be between Assyria and Brazil, so it's not likely Belgium will be in the main game.

To awnser the topic - I never once played more than 5 turns in a scenario, so I will probably not even notice they are there! :lol: At max I will take a peek to see the art and hear the music and not much more than that...

12. askia53

askia53 Chieftain

Nice information! Thanks
    So the door is still open for a new Modern Italy Civ, and for Morocco (and also maybe Mali)
    I wonder what the other African Civs will be?

13. Muzzway

Muzzway Chieftain

There are certain civs that would be odd not to be included, if not just for land-filling purposes. Without Austria, there's a big hole between Germany and the Ottomans. Austria is a Gods and Kings civ, of course, so it might be a replacement "Austria-Hungary" that's entirely different from the normal version. It would be strange if Russia wasn't included, either. If we don't like the prospect of these civs having any colonial possessions in Africa, they could just be implemented as minor, unplayable civs. It would do no harm to make them playable, though, considering this is an alternative history scenario anyway.

I do have to wonder what the map will look like, since there's the obvious problem of Russia having way too much land on most European maps. There could be an alternative tilt to the map, ala Sven's Europe, or they could implement barriers of some kind to make that land impassible. It's also possible they would just leave that land empty, but that definitely seems odd to me.

14. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

2 things will happen

1. Europe would not be included

2. The nations not playable woudl be replaced by "Neutral" zone (or City States) like they were in Discover New World DLC scenario (where Japan filled the role of unused territory in Europe)

15. Hulking Lummox

Hulking Lummox Warlord

I too wanted a scenario that had more to do with ideologies - i.e. WWII or Post WWII conflicts and Cold War.

16. Tsar NicholasII

Tsar NicholasII Prince

It will just be Africa for the Scenario, otherwise it would also be a WWI scenario.

17. les berceaux

les berceaux Chieftain

I'm excited to play both of the announced scenarios, but I'm hoping for more. I think a "20th century" scenario that starts with and requires a resolution of WWII but then to achieve victory conditions you have to complete spying and diplomacy quests through the "UN" (world congress), make your ideology the dominant force of the world through acquisition of great works or archeological digs and culture and tourism, and focus on gaining victory points by participating in a modified space race. I am basically describing a 20th century "Into the Renaissance"

18. Cryopyre

Cryopyre Chieftain

Does the American Civil War scenario imply they may be adding civilization fracturing as a game mechanic?

If this is the case, I will be thrilled.

19. JSMCAG

JSMCAG King

Sorry to burst it to you pal, but a mechanic that big would be announced as one of the new mechanics for the expansion. The fact that there isn't one word about it pretty much kills any chance of that.
    Besides, it's not like the New World Scenario brought colonies to the game, so why would the American Civil War bring fracturing? :p

20. Cryopyre

Cryopyre Chieftain

You have crushed my dreams with your logic.