Is anyone else tempted to

fathertuck

Warlord
take on the Steam deal? They offer ciV + all the DLC's for -40% today.

I only played the demo when it came out and didn't like it (not that my computer could run it anyway), but now with a new computer I'm tempted to try it out again. What do you say, is it a good deal or not? :mischief:

take on the Steam deal? They offer ciV + all the DLC's for -40% today.

I only played the demo when it came out and didn't like it (not that my computer could run it anyway), but now with a new computer I'm tempted to try it out again. What do you say, is it a good deal or not? :mischief:

depends... since I already own the basic game it is not much interesting to me.

I was very much disappointed with the game (but I invested over 200 hours into it anyway, so some would say I got my money back)

They made some big adjustments, but the feeling of building empire (with the way the screwyouhappiness works) is away and the allpsycho AI's didn't helped much too.

I played one game after the March patch, they at least started on bringing back the production :), but the happiness is really killing me, going into revolt after succesful war is imo gamebreaking, but CiV fans like it and defend it as "realistic".

I finally uninstalled the game after not having touched it in months. Realized it was just wasting drive space. I wish I only spent the amount of the Steam deal on it, but actually I wish I didn't spend any money on it at all. I never got into it and never expect to install it again. It will take a huge overhaul to ever make this game right. Civ IV will do me for a long time until Civ VI comes out - if ever.

I should have learned my lesson with Dawn of War II, but I think I finally did with CiV, i.e., never pre-order a game no matter how much you enjoy the franchise.

As someone who wasted £30 on Civ V by pre-ordering it I wouldn't recommend the game to anyone. Even from a tourist perspective I can't see any appeal to be had.

I was actually asked by a friend yesterday whether or not they should by Civ V from the sale because they knew I liked Civ IV. It took me a while to convey in non civ terms exactly what's wrong with the game, so in the end I just likened it to the Star Wars prequals, shiney graphics but non of the appeal.

As someone who wasted £30 on Civ V by pre-ordering it I wouldn't recommend the game to anyone. Even from a tourist perspective I can't see any appeal to be had.

I was actually asked by a friend yesterday whether or not they should by Civ V from the sale because they knew I liked Civ IV. It took me a while to convey in non civ terms exactly what's wrong with the game, so in the end I just likened it to the Star Wars prequals, shiney graphics but non of the appeal.

I really wish I could disagree, but that was perfectly put. :sad:

30€ for a pc-game isn't too bad, but there's no point buying it if it ends up collecting dust on my steam account. I don't know what to do. :sad:

i just bought it. apparently it's best if you realize that it's a brand new game, which i guess makes sense. civ 4 has tons of extras added to it and i really only ever play bts anyway, so i'll try to keep that in mind.

eh, calling it a beta is kind of lame, considering it's been out for several months. it should've been kept in beta for longer, since there were, and still are, tons of issues with it and it still needs patches, but it's definitely not in beta anymore. i mean, i was kind of confused when i heard about a patch being released for civilization 4 after i bought the complete edition. that makes even less sense to me.

all of that being said, i think i wasted 30 bucks because the game doesn't seem to want to run on my computer [pissed]

Personally I bought it (full price) and hated it. However, a lot of people seem to like it. So if you can afford to, buy it... Maybe you'll like it. (It's a matter of personal taste, so don't base your opinion just because someone told you it sucks).

bought the pre-release and have 147 hours into it according to steam. tried the latest patch and still don't care for it much although a lot of people seem to like it. everytime there is new patch i go back and try it again but still not my style.you might like it, you might not. the question is "do you have money to waste if you don't like it?" i'll stick to bts for now.

I got as far as putting it in my cart. Then i realized ill probably spend more time playing 4 anyway, so even 40% off wouldn't be worth it if I'm not gonna play it.

New does not mean better, just different. In general, if I am happy with anything, I don't rush out and buy the "new" version. After all, if I am happy with what I have, why do I need a new one? I'm still very happy with CIV and expect to be so for many years more.

New does not mean better, just different. In general, if I am happy with anything, I don't rush out and buy the "new" version. After all, if I am happy with what I have, why do I need a new one? I'm still very happy with CIV and expect to be so for many years more.

Agree. With all the mods, maps and all, CivIV has a lot still in it. I haven't gotten bored with it yet and may never. I do go back and forth with RFC and other mods for variety. The polls in OT have a vast preference for IV so it's most likely IV will be the most enjoyable for a player.

I will put it in more simple terms:

NO WAY, man!!! It is a piece of horsehockye, plain and simple. Stick with the masterpiece. ;)

I would give it another year, so that everyone can finish 2K's beta testing for them. :p

(And calling it a beta isn't exactly "lame", even though it's been out for a few months. IMO, and that of quite a few others, it still isn't in "sale-able" condition. The release was late alpha, at best, and we are now doing the beta testing and complaining enough that 2K and Firaxis are doling out patches to "address issues" (substitute "fixing the damn game." here.))

I dunno, Civ V may have numerous problems (Basically broken U.I., sketchy A.I., ect.) but i would still recommended it. Even though it has it's problems, they'll eventually get fuxed. If I remeber right, Civ IV was basically broken when it was released.

(And calling it a beta isn't exactly "lame", even though it's been out for a few months. IMO, and that of quite a few others, it still isn't in "sale-able" condition. The release was late alpha, at best, and we are now doing the beta testing and complaining enough that 2K and Firaxis are doling out patches to "address issues" (substitute "fixing the damn game." here.))

different strokes for different folks, i guess. if something's released, no matter how broken it is, i don't see it as being in beta anymore.

different strokes for different folks, i guess. if something's released, no matter how broken it is, i don't see it as being in beta anymore.

awesome - try to think of it metaphorically if that helps you. Regardless of your thoughts about the game itself, you are being a bit obtuse about the use of the term "beta" when we try to explain the current "state" of the game. Sure, in the eyes of 2K/Firaxis, the game would technically not be in "beta" mode - that's not the point.

By the way, I hope you get the game working

I've never been able to finish a CivV game. It bores me to tears. My son loves V. Just a matter of personal preference, I suppose. I've been lost in Oblivion for a while now, but I keep coming back to CivIV. I'll probably uninstall CivV when I need the disc space.

Top Bottom