Is anyone interested in a multiplayer pitboss game?

Gavagay

Warlord
Hi there! We are starting a multiplayer pitboss game with Civ4 BTS and we have a couple of free slots. Anyone here wants to join? For those of you, who do not know, pitboss is a very slow-paced type of multiplayer game where players are supposed to play about one turn per day. It takes a lot of time to complete one game - typically from 6 to 12 months - but as a reward, you can play against other humans having all the time in the world to think your moves through - an opportunity you only normally have in single player games. The end result is very skill-intensive, competitive and outright epic games. On top of that, it is customary in our community to report your progress in a pitboss game in a spoiler thread which your opponents are not supposed to read. Not everyone reports regularly, but still, after the game ends, you are often able to look at it through your opponents' perspective, learn what they were thinking while playing and how they reacted to your actions. It can be very fun!
If you are interested, you can learn more information about the game and signup here: https://www.realmsbeyond.net/forums/showthread.php?tid=9570 I can answer any questions you might have both here and in that thread. (And I know that a lot of questions are left uncovered, in particular, technical ones. But the technical side of things is much easier than it may seem.) The only thing I ask is to consider seriously before signing up if you are up to this. Firstly, you need to be confident that you will actually be able to play every day for the following 6-12 months (infrequent pauses for real-life issues are perfectly fine though). One way to achieve such confidence is to team up with someone; an arrangement where two or more players manage one civ collectively with whatever division of labor they see fit for themselves is very much encouraged as it provides insurance in case one of those players is not able to play turns for some reason. Secondly, you need to account for the fact that if things go badly for you in the game you cannot just quit like you can in a single player. Other players are dependent on you playing turns in a timely and reasonable manner, even after any possibility of winning for your civ is long gone. Please, consider, whether you would be able to keep playing and to find a way to enjoy the game in a hopeless situation.
(For moderators: I am posting it in civ general, not in a multiplayer subforum because multiplayer subforum for civ4 is pretty much dead and my post will most likely go unnoticed. My main target audience are the people who did not know that pitboss games are a thing and the people who did not know that anyone still plays them, not those who already actively play MP. This is why I kindly ask to leave this thread in civgeneral.)

Very much recommend people give it a go if it interests you. Pitboss MP is what kept me interested in the game after beating the AI became stale. I played a number of them from 2009-11 and recently took part in a few again on realmsbeyond, and it's just as much fun as it used to be. You get the best of both worlds as you get to play against other people but still have time to play/plan your turns properly.

Top Bottom