Is Beyond Earth 2 coming before Civ 7

Beyond Earth 2 or Civ 7 first?

• Beyond Earth 2

Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Civ 7

Votes: 37 67.3%

• Total voters
That's all true, and even aside from those troubling problems there were some big holes in the game--what makes it stick in people's heads was the writing, the insertion of historical quotes from all aspects of human experience alongside the character development quotes, all read in the character's (voice actors') voices; the developing sense of dread alongside the hope for the future; the "mood" of the game asmuch as anything in gameplay. But anyhow, I do think we're probably past the point where we're going to see a spinoff before the next iteration of the base game.

Last edited:
Midnight Suns has got a Dec release date at D23:
https://www.eurogamer.net/marvels-m...ber-release-date-on-pc-xbox-series-xs-and-ps5

So, either way, perhaps we shall hear some news during the holidays or in the new year?
This article emphasizes another difference between Civ7 and previous games in the franchise: cross-platform.

Back in the day, Civ4 and its expansion packs released on PC (Windows) first. The Mac port was released later, often weeks later. For both Civ4 and Civ5 Firaxis collaborated with Aspyr to create the port and do the testing.

For Civ6 and Civ7 (presumably), Firaxis and 2K want the games to be playable not only Windows PCs and Macs but also on the leading consoles and tablet devices. That involves a great deal more complexity in testing as well as design decisions for CPU architectures. Given the much larger customer base that they get for including consoles and tablets, and the larger source of potential revenue, I don't think they're considering releasing Civ7 or BE2 on PC/Mac only. The next games in our franchise will be cross-platform.

This article emphasizes another difference between Civ7 and previous games in the franchise: cross-platform.

Back in the day, Civ4 and its expansion packs released on PC (Windows) first. The Mac port was released later, often weeks later. For both Civ4 and Civ5 Firaxis collaborated with Aspyr to create the port and do the testing.

For Civ6 and Civ7 (presumably), Firaxis and 2K want the games to be playable not only Windows PCs and Macs but also on the leading consoles and tablet devices. That involves a great deal more complexity in testing as well as design decisions for CPU architectures. Given the much larger customer base that they get for including consoles and tablets, and the larger source of potential revenue, I don't think they're considering releasing Civ7 or BE2 on PC/Mac only. The next games in our franchise will be cross-platform.
I believe Civ2 and Civ3 released their Mac versions up to a year or two, later, and Civ1 never had an OFFICIAL Mac version (though I believe it had a fan-made hack that crudely forced compatibility), since we're speaking of all previous games in the franchise. For some reason, a lot of people speak as though the franchise started at Civ4, and this form of reference is mildly irritating, as a big fan of Civ2 and perennial fan of Civ3 to this day.

Sorry to irritate you. I started with Civ2, after watching a friend from grad school playing Civ1. I continue to play Civ3 and I am a semi-regular contributor on those forums. Thanks for the completion of the reference data. I think that my main point still stands -- by going multi-platform, Firaxis has greatly increased the amount of work required to release a new game in the franchise.

For Civ6 and Civ7 (presumably), Firaxis and 2K want the games to be playable not only Windows PCs and Macs but also on the leading consoles and tablet devices. That involves a great deal more complexity in testing as well as design decisions for CPU architectures
Firaxis has greatly increased the amount of work required to release a new game in the franchise.
While I can see that Firaxis might consider some design decisions for Civ7 due to Consoles and Mobile, I don't think that when designing Civ6, and its DLCs, the Devs took into account the Consoles. Civ6 is much more Complex than Civ5, where you would think that the latter would have been more successful on console because of that.

Besides, It's not Firaxis that worked on the Console versions, in Fact, all non-Windows versions (including Mac and Linux) were developed by Aspyr AFAIK. And as we know, the Mobile and Console Versions seem to have a different coding system than the PC version, especially on the UI side.

So I wouldn't say that Firaxis is taking longer to work on a new Civ Game because of the different Platforms they want the Game to be released on. I'm sure that the Firaxis Civ Dev Team are solely focusing on designing the Game as usual (I hope so at least), and intrusting the OS, Linus, Console and Mobile Ports to a 3rd Party. It wouldn't be feasible for Firaxis to take all that burden on their shoulders, and it's not necessary. After all, we have seen many complex Games that were developed for PC, and then later on ported to other Platforms, successfully. The Only Issue with that that we have with Civ6, is that 2K doesn't seem to hire Aspyr often enough to make Updates for those Platforms. However, even for the PC version, any QA/internal testings that are done to Civ6 weren't enough to fix the Game, most testing is done by the Players and them Reporting any Bugs/Imbalances. And yet, we are still here and waiting for that final BugFix Patch that will fix the Game crashes, the Asset Bug Limit, the crazy Monopoly Tourism Bug,...etc.

Though, what I would like for Civ7 to consider for Consoles and Mobile, is making it possible to mod them.

You realize that this counterpoint is entirely based on semantic pedantry, right? It would not be relevant if a serious, dedicated project to revive the idea were made.
And there maybe one!

Recently popped up on my news feed re: Proxima B (exoplanet in Alpha Centauri tertiary system).

It's moot.

In the 90s Alpha Centauri was believed to be the closest star for colonisation.

But thousands of exoplanets have been discovered since. I forget the count but it is in excess of 3000.

So the SMAC narrative is antiquated.

Beyond Earth colonising exoplanets instead of Alpha Centauri.

(That is not to diminish the genius that was the SMAC/X narrative. It's just that some things can't be rebooted in modern times. Like Jaws, cos we no longer fear great white sharks like in the 70's).Most påeople are still horrified of them. It can be rebooted and iut has beeen rebooted. Deep Blue Sea and Sharkanado are reboots

won't be BE2, but BE prequel, bridging the time period from 2050 end of main series and ~2200 start of BE

Oh, that's an interesting idea 🤔

Though I'm pretty sure it's going appear to be a continuation of the Space Race victory.
Now you build a ship to an exoplanet.

So I'm pretty sure that it will be civilization on an exoplanet.
There will be aliens instead of barbs.
There will be orbital warfare. And aquatic gameplay.

Everything else maybe up in the air.
But they have already invested considerably in the 3 main affinities and the 3 hybrid affinities.
(Apart from Purity, the other models are amazing really!)

They only need a new or revised set of sponsors (leaders/civs). That's all.

Oh, that's an interesting idea 🤔

Though I'm pretty sure it's going appear to be a continuation of the Space Race victory.
Now you build a ship to an exoplanet.

So I'm pretty sure that it will be civilization on an exoplanet.
There will be aliens instead of barbs.
There will be orbital warfare. And aquatic gameplay.

Everything else maybe up in the air.
But they have already invested considerably in the 3 main affinities and the 3 hybrid affinities.
(Apart from Purity, the other models are amazing really!)

They only need a new or revised set of sponsors (leaders/civs). That's all.
I think these things could all fit the prequel concept -- the solar system is thus far untouched by civ series, doesn't make for great settlements and cities etc but could be some military bases, space stations, resource extraction etc... "orbital warfare" as you suggest. Your "aliens instead of barbs" are basically the x-com story adapted for civ. We'd also get lots of climate change mechanisms and nouveau-cold-war stuff here on earth in the 2050-2200 era, both of which are hot topics for both film and games lately.

There will be some kind of connectivity, between 6 and this new game -- ie maybe your completed civ 6 game creates the starting point in the BE prequel. In this regard, recall that BE already had a sequel: starships, and that one had connectivity with BE

If this "in between game" is a continuation from the Civ6 Space Victory, then they face interesting challenges in translating the leader's abilities, and the tribe's unique traits, to the new planet. Will we build new kinds of districts? What would a near-future civics tree look like -- more like Civ6 or more like BERT?

Beyon Dearth was horrendous.

So, not too excited about them going back to that well. Hope round 2 is better, if they do that.

Beyond Earth was tough to get into, but SMAC remains one of my favourite games of all time. If they could recapture that magic I'm all in
It is a true classic. Such a great game. ❤

There are no words in the English language that would adequately express the depth of my disappointment if the announcement for the next Civilization game was merely for a spin-off series or a sequel to Beyond Earth.

It's already been the longest time between numbered sequels in the series' history. Yes, I understand AAA games take more and more time to develop these days. But the announcement would feel wholly misleading to refer to anything else but Civ VII. If they want to announce a spin-off or sequel to BE they should state that and not get people's hopes up for something more

Last edited:
In today's livestream Pete acknowledged that they are working on "the next chapter in the Civilization Series" and that it is brought to you by "Ed Beach, Dennis Shirk, and the rest of the team". The original Beyond Earth was made by a side crew headed by Will Miller and Dave McDonough while Civ VI was in development by Ed. If Ed Beach and co are working on the "Next Chapter", then it certainly isn't going to be a spin-off game like Beyond Earth.

In today's livestream Pete acknowledged that they are working on "the next chapter in the Civilization Series" and that it is brought to you by "Ed Beach, Dennis Shirk, and the rest of the team". The original Beyond Earth was made by a side crew headed by Will Miller and Dave McDonough while Civ VI was in development by Ed. If Ed Beach and co are working on the "Next Chapter", then it certainly isn't going to be a spin-off game like Beyond Earth.
Firstly, then why not say it's Civ VII?

Also when Firaxis produced BE, Ed hadn't been promoted to franchise lead. Maybe now he will oversee Civ offshoots as well?

I know someone who may know - PotatoMcWhiskey!

Having visited Firaxis perhaps they have solicited his feedback/input for this "next chapter"? Prolly under NDA though 😏

Top Bottom