Beyond Earth 2 or Civ 7 first?

• Beyond Earth 2

Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Civ 7

Votes: 37 67.3%

• Total voters

Connor_CivFan

Chieftain
It feels like Beyond Earth 2 could be in the making or announced soon considering tweets like this:
I feel like that if Civ 7 was coming soon it would've been announced already but on the other hand Beyond Earth could still be announced and released by early 2023.
Could what feels like waiting extra long wait for civ 7 be due to the fact that they are focusing on Beyond Earth 2?

Since I have absolutely no idea, I voted for what I wish: Beyond Earth 2

Also... I may be wrong on this, but... I strongly remember one of the BE developers saying, in an article, that "Civ BE would be its own, permanent franchise", or something like that.

If it wasn't for that tweet I would say no, but now, I don't know what to believe in anymore.

I wouldn't mind Beyond Earth 2 tbh, especially since the idea is there, and if Rising Tides was the initial release of it would've been a strong game.

Could what feels like waiting extra long wait for civ 7 be due to the fact that they are focusing on Beyond Earth 2?
You know Intel used to have a "Tick Tock" development methodology.

Firaxis could be doing something similar. That way there can be two teams working in parallel to produce: Civ V, BE, Civ VI, BE 2,...

It gives each team enough time to make significant improvement for the next iteration while keeping gamers happy.

So BE 2 is not the reason we aren't getting a Civ VII. It's what we're getting in the meantime.

Last edited:
I think I would be more happy with a Beyond Earth 2 announcement than a Civ 7 one at this point. I realise I am probably in the minority about that, but BE had so much potential, and I am really curious as to where they would take it with a sequel.

No announcements so far. I don't think there might even be Beyond Earth 2 either unless there's a feature that worths investments in or would be a testbed for Civ7?
Districts in Civ6 originated from CBE actually.

The OP is incredibly suggestive.

There were no districts in BE.
There were 1-tile Wonders. Planet Wonders.

The OP is incredibly suggestive.

There were no districts in BE.
There were 1-tile Wonders. Planet Wonders.
There were no "1 tile wonders" per say.

If anything originated in BE it was multi-tile natural wonders.

Though I guess you could argue that the 1 tile mini-natural wonders (those you had to often intract with to fulfill the biome quest) could be the 1 tile wonders.

There were no "1 tile wonders" per say.

If anything originated in BE it was multi-tile natural wonders.

Though I guess you could argue that the 1 tile mini-natural wonders (those you had to often intract with to fulfill the biome quest) could be the 1 tile wonders.
Emancipation gate. Etc.

These were called Planet Wonders AFAIK

Yep, there were three special "planetary wonders", one for each affinity victory: Mind Flower (Harmony), Exodus Gate (Purity), Emancipation Gate (Supremacy). You built them from a city, but if I recall correctly, they were not really part of any city, and you could place them anywhere in your territory.

And there's another thing I though was cool in Civ BE, these victory types were all pretty well done in my opinion. They fit well with the theme of each affinity, the steps you took made sense, and required active play, rather than just passive numbers growth. To take Purity as an example, the steps were as follows:
1. Research the tech to communicate with Earth
2. Launch a satellite to establish communication
3. Research the tech to build a warp gate between Earth and the new planet
4. Build the gate
5. Bring through colonists from Earth, help them settle while protecting both the gate and the new settlements

Eventhough these Twitter Posts suggest a Beyond Earth 2 Game I don't think we will get one. Too much has passed since NFP to get a Spinoff Game +6 Years after the release of Civ6. If we would get one, I don't think Firaxis would greenlight a Civ 7 Release before 2025 (which isn't a bad thing, but...), which would put a record on Years between a Civ Game and the next Title. I mean unless Firaxis doesn't care if BE2 and Civ7 are released not very far apart (though, let's not forget about Midnight Suns' recent delay).

In any case, I would be very disappointed if we would get BE2 and not Civ7. I always looked at NFP as the alternative to a Civ6 Spinoff Game, so Firaxis announcing BE2 would totally make NFP totally pointless to me. Why make half-thoughtout/baked Fantasy/SciFi Game Modes (even some Civs/Leaders) if you're going to release a SciFi Game anyway, where you can design things in more details and in a more interactive and thematic way? And more importantly, If Firaxis knew when they were making NFP that they will also be going to work on BE2 before Civ7, WHY HAVE THEY WASTED SO MUCH TIME AND RESOURCES ON THOSE FANTASY GAME MODES, WHERE THEY COULD HAVE MADE ONLY HISTORICAL AND REALISTIC GAME MODES OR IMPROVED THE EXISTING GAME MECHANICS? This would make NFP look so, soooo bad in hindsight for me, especially considering the amount of gamebreaking Bugs that came with it, and no BugFix Patch +1 Year after the last Game update, leaving the Game in an awful State.

This is probably a Hot Take, but NFP didn't add any Value to my Games, at all, but only ruined my Game experience with those annoying and game breaking Bugs (I'm looking at you, Asset Limit Bug) that it introduced to the Game. I don't use any Game Modes, except Barbarian Clans, and and sometimes M&C, which I really like, but the price (not talking about the monetary price) of having them with NFP was too high, and I was enjoying Civ6 Pre NFP much more than with it. Not a good Deal for me.

I'm not opposed to a Beyond Earth 2 Game, but I prefer if we would've got it in place of NFP instead. And it's too late for it now, where most People are anticipating Civ7 sometime next Year.

This further makes me not want to support 2K/Firaxis with buying Civ7/BE2, but stick with Civ6. And the only thing that would make me consider getting them would be a soon, very soon, Civ6 Final Update/Bugfix Patch. THAT is what would make me happy, and at this Point, I would even pay for it ngl.

Viewing NFP as a *replacement* for a spinoff game is one valid point of view. I chose to view NFP as a *business model* experiment. Would people pay for a subscription, or "subscription lite", compared with a full expansion pack like Gathering Storm? Would people pay for interchangeable, "ice cream toppings" that make changes to aspects of the game, even if they're not as thoroughly developed as the rest of the game?

Releasing a whole new game, either BE2 or Civ7, is a much larger and more complex business decision. The calendar plays a role -- how close to the holiday gift buying seasons, announcing in a particular conference or event, allowing time for hype and reviews before general availability. They made a decision to develop BE2 (or not) months or years ago. I didn't view NFP as a replacement for BE2 so much as a beta of future release models for Civ7, Midnight Suns, XCOM 3, or other titles.

I didn't view NFP as a replacement for BE2 so much as a beta of future release models for Civ7, Midnight Suns, XCOM 3, or other titles.

Actually I personally would have liked to have had both R&F and G&S as a season pass like NFP.

I mean at least half of the civs in each expansion could have been backward compatible with previous rule systems. (Like many of the civs in NFP).

Even better, I would have liked some of the mechanics in R&F and GS be modes. E.g: Loyalty and Governors in particular. Two mechanics I really can't stand. Especially the mickey mouse governors 😫

C: Other new spinoff

I hope it is something new from Firaxis perspective, whether a smaller timespan in history (no colonization though), fantasy setting, post-apocalyptic or post-alien invaded earth.

I disliked BE a lot.
Didn't manage to finish a single playthrough, as it just got so extremely tedious.
I can't really point to a specific thing either, except that I feel that they implemented a ton of minor (bad) factors that made for an overall bad civ experience.
To list some of them:

- An overload of inconsequential choices. Do I want +1 culture or +1 energy for my monuments? Extremely dull and inconsequential choice, where the frequency of such inconsequential choices becomes tedious as I suddenly have to start thinking about the impact of a choice that really doesn't matter in neither the short nor long run.
- Victory types being very boring. The differences between each affinity victory is boring as all hell. The worst victory in civ 5 used to the (old) cultural victory, where you got enough policies at one point to start building the utopia project, where you automatically won the game once it finished. BNW (fortunately!) fixed CV in civ 5 making it very interesting through tourism, great work theming, wonder spam, archeologists, weaving in religion/ideology to further promote tourism, and finally using the world congress/UN to push for your cultural dominance. BE? Yeah, let's skip all that, and instead return the failed utopia project system that failed in civ 5, except this time we make 3 different utopia projects to choose from.
- Lack of variety between leaders/factions. I had no strong ties to the asian, russian, european or whatnot factions, and their bonuses were dull as all hell.
- Extremely boring wonders, buildings and units. The wonders were almost never worth building, and the units were more or less identical except for minor stat differences and reskins. Why should I care?
- Tech web. Interesting idea, horrible execution. The system just became too complex while also rewarding the player with the above mentioned dull wonders, buildings and units. This leads me as a player to stop caring what I'm teching, because it both took too much foresight to plan out properly, with the rewards for it being too inconsequential.

I'm not necessarily opposed to a BE 2, but it has to be radically different from BE for me to ever consider buying.
Buying BE the last time around was a waste of good money, and I'd rather just donate that money directly to Firaxis instead, rather than have to suffer another boring game of BE again.

I think the Civ 6 is already over and we are waiting for civ 7.
But I would like if have at least more one expansion to civ 6.

Here's a couple of possibilities:

1. The tweet is an excuse to use the "beyond Earth" pun. Since it's random information shared out of the blue which does not fit into a pattern of previous posts, it could be a "hint";
2. The tweet is the first in a series of such tweets where they just share random data;
3. They got the idea for a space related post after the Webb telescope images on the 11th of July but had to wait until the 1st of August to have the complete data.

I'm inclined towards the third one.

Top Bottom