Is Beyond Earth 2 coming before Civ 7

Beyond Earth 2 or Civ 7 first?

• Beyond Earth 2

Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Civ 7

Votes: 37 67.3%

• Total voters
Would absolutely love BE2. The idea has so much potential, clearly they wanted to expand on it more (after all they did the Spaceships thing). BERT is incredibly underappreciated and I go back to it more than Civ V personally.

EDIT: Plus I'd like a bit more time to enjoy Civ VI anyway. It's only been recently "complete" for a year-ish and it was a lot of money dropped for the game and all its content, so to have Civ VII already would make me feel sour and like a cashgrab tbh...

i would love a BE2
Alpha Centauri's storyline, factions (especially the aliens), lore, and tech tree focuses seem to me a lot more intriguing and compelling. Beyond Earth seems kind of bland and generic, for the genre-type, by comparison.

As @Sostratus pointed out, the original BE was a natural outgrowth of the Civ V engine and assets.

I would note that another spinoff game could be delivered as a natural outgrowth of the Civ VI engine and assets, with similar savings in development costs. Whether such a game would be a good return on investment (ROI) would seem to be linked to its story, its world-building, and its choice of factions, based on most of the comments here. I purchased Galactic Civ III, dabbling in space-based 4X games, and I enjoy BERT very much. The Rising Tide expansion is more fun (for me) than the base game.

I seem to be an exception to most players here, in that I don't play the historical Civ games (3, 4, 5, 6) primarily for who their leaders are. I would be interested in playing "America" whether it was led by FDR, Lincoln, Washington, TR, or yes, even Fielding. I don't know enough Chinese history to know the difference between the leaders that have been put forward for them in the various games of the franchise (except Mao Zedong). I want the factions to have interesting characteristics, which they did in Civs 3, 4, and 5 and really ramped up in 6. Those interesting characteristics can be given to aliens, humans, genetically enhanced humans, sentient mammals (dolphins?) as well as geographically diverse groups.

IMHO, releasing a new 4X game (either in space or fantasy, licensing a universe or creating their own) based on the Civ VI mechanics would be a good use of their technology and would probably be profitable. It would keep us talking and engaged while they continue innovative work on Civ VII.

Actually it's pretty easy (and a relatively cheap investment) to hire a bunch of artists to produce graphics and animations for leaders and units for BE2 based on Civ VI game engine.
Then charge an arm and a leg! 😏
I acknowledged it's inexpensive to produce such a spinoff, but civ6 came out 6 years ago. They have a new engine (hopefully) with all the improvements, etc. for civ 7 around the corner.
It doesn't make sense to split efforts like that.

But if you are working in the new engine, you wouldn't release the BE2 game first. You use the improvements and the game mechanics that enables to market civ7 so you aren't stealing any thunder from the main show. Then you release the spinoff game.

I also don't see how they could do it without reworking the Beyond Earth IP. People need more narrative direction.

In terms of a Starship sequel, how about something like CIV 4 BTS' Final Frontier mod?
I've never played that (I haven't played Civ4, in fact), but I still believe that SMAC has the real foundational elements to work best, and be most interesting.

It is longer than average hence extra long
Well the other games also didn't have to deal with a worldwide pandemic and post 2nd expansion content. I think the release time between this iteration and the next being longer is expected.

Well the other games also didn't have to deal with a worldwide pandemic and post 2nd expansion content. I think the release time between this iteration and the next being longer is expected.

I think Midnight Suns has a lot do with it.

It's been delayed. Clearly Firaxis has big hopes for it. 2K is expecting it to become Firaxis' tentpole franchise in this partnership with Marvel/Disney.
I think once that is out the door we may hear some news on the Civ front.

I think Midnight Suns has a lot do with it.

It's been delayed. Clearly Firaxis has big hopes for it. 2K is expecting it to become Firaxis' tentpole franchise in this partnership with Marvel/Disney.
I think once that is out the door we may hear some news on the Civ front.
Indeed. It's not every day that a studio like Firaxis has an opportunity to work with a Disney franchise. There's a lot riding on it, so anything else is going to be back burner for a while.

I've never played that (I haven't played Civ4, in fact), but I still believe that SMAC has the real foundational elements to work best, and be most interesting.

Yeah, but there's a rights issue with SMAC. Why BE could only be a "spiritual successor", unlike Colonization, for example, which could use the same name as the original when they created the new version.

Yeah, but there's a rights issue with SMAC. Why BE could only be a "spiritual successor", unlike Colonization, for example, which could use the same name as the original when they created the new version.
Fiiraxis doesn't own the rights to SMAC? There logo is on the package (albeit the package is almost 15 years old - but it's still on my shelf).

Fiiraxis doesn't own the rights to SMAC? There logo is on the package (albeit the package is almost 15 years old - but it's still on my shelf).
Rights belong to EA. I forget the nature of the relationship, but I think EA was the publisher. And being EA, they made Firaxis agree to a devils bargain.

It's extremely unlikely that Firaxis will ever be able to re-acquire them.

I think I would be more happy with a Beyond Earth 2 announcement than a Civ 7 one at this point. I realise I am probably in the minority about that, but BE had so much potential, and I am really curious as to where they would take it with a sequel.
This is a good point.
I am not a BE player, but I can understand your point about the potential.
It leads me to a more important question:

What do we need Civ 7 for?

Are you guys looking for improved basic engines, that use technologies that weren't available back when 6 was out?
Is it an issue?

Are you not satisfied with some basic elements of 6, and you just hope that a new one will satisfy you more?
This is maybe my reason, but I don't know if it's worth the wait and what the chances are for satisfaction.

Or are you just looking for fresher appearance, new details, and other in-game situation?
Then maybe call for more expansions of 6, and browser for many goos moda out here.

Rights belong to EA. I forget the nature of the relationship, but I think EA was the publisher. And being EA, they made Firaxis agree to a devils bargain.

It's extremely unlikely that Firaxis will ever be able to re-acquire them.
It's moot.

In the 90s Alpha Centauri was believed to be the closest star for colonisation.

But thousands of exoplanets have been discovered since. I forget the count but it is in excess of 3000.

So the SMAC narrative is antiquated.

Beyond Earth colonising exoplanets instead of Alpha Centauri.

(That is not to diminish the genius that was the SMAC/X narrative. It's just that some things can't be rebooted in modern times. Like Jaws, cos we no longer fear great white sharks like in the 70's).

It's moot.

In the 90s Alpha Centauri was believed to be the closest star for colonisation.

But thousands of exoplanets have been discovered since. I forget the count but it is in excess of 3000.

So the SMAC narrative is antiquated.

Beyond Earth colonising exoplanets instead of Alpha Centauri.
You realize that this counterpoint is entirely based on semantic pedantry, right? It would not be relevant if a serious, dedicated project to revive the idea were made.

Indeed. It's not every day that a studio like Firaxis has an opportunity to work with a Disney franchise. There's a lot riding on it, so anything else is going to be back burner for a while.
Yeah, it's not a mystery. A marvel game has a chance to make them a brazillion dollars but also the chance of being a huge black eye.

I could go into my old man "why does every movie that comes out have to be a damn superhero movie" rant right now but I'll refrain.

You realize that this counterpoint is entirely based on semantic pedantry, right? It would not be relevant if a serious, dedicated project to revive the idea were made.
But again, it's extremely unlikely. Unlikely to the extent that it's not really worth bringing up every time a discussion about BE is going. We're never going to get another space-based Civ spin-off if each one gets overshadowed by a single game from the 90s.

Top Bottom